oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 2-2

Read through the match report last night and while we realise no team has any divine right to win any game and anything can occur in this league, all things being equal you should be home and dry by now or celebrating a return to the premier league.

What I mean is, Middlesbrough have dropped four points in two games that I really believed you would have won comfortably. Put it down to nerves or what you will but that's a missed opportunity for the club and you're looking at other results now as well as your own to assist you over the finishing line.

Said before wish you well in your return and hope you can do it and won't change the opinion but don't take offence in saying you've made hard work for yourselves in the last two games when ideally you could be all but assured of a premier league place at time of writing.

(Believe there's another thread here about the site being slow to respond and got the same, it's taken 20 minutes just for this post alone, but as before, hope other games go your way this weekend.)

Couldn't agree more. To say we've thrown away opportunities this season is an understatement.

I'm more concerned that some Boro fans think it's over and that we've bottled it. The last thing we need with a packed Riverside is fans who've given up before a ball has been kicked.

Spirit of Steaua. Fans chanting 'we only want 4 more'. That's the kind of atmosphere we need. Never say die until it's over.

We know now it will come down to the last game. Regardless of what happens on Monday, if Brighton beat us they'll be up. We can and I think will do something about that but we need to give it our all from the stands no matter what.

Are you surprised though? We've drawn the last three and got out of jail with scrappy last minute goals on more than one occasion recently. Needing a win against Brighton will not be easy particularly given their form. I certainly don't feel confident right now and it's because the team and the manager have showed very obvious signs of nerves.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Apparently Reading and Birmingham played each other in 2009 on the last day. Brum needed a point, Reading needed to win and they were at home.

Brum won 2-1. The thing which ***es me off is that they went up with 83 points. In the past two seasons that would have got you nothing!

Paul Robinson (Birmingham defender) on the Championship highlights says he thinks Burnley and Brighton are better sides and will be promoted.

Nothing like sticking your neck out in the last week of the season and with those teams likely to be top 2 on Monday. :)

You wonder what he would have said at the start of the month - Burnley and Hull?

I have to say i was not impressed with Richie Da Laet on friday. I thought him been right footed restricted our attacking down the left, or is it just because im so spoilt with expecting him to apply himself like friend.

Also.... Stewie D!!!! i for one was over the moon when he returned, but after watching him as much i can - he hasnt excited me as much as i would off liked. i thought he was a moody little Sh!t when he was 1st here and put alo of it down to his age... Now he is touching 30 and still looks like he is going through puberty mood swings. He never looks happy and is always wining on at other players.

Is Rhodes ok? as feeble as his goal was the other night, he needs to understand he had just leveled the game and i would expect more of a celebration. I remember him wheeling away Alan Shearer esk when he was knocking them in from 2 yards out at Rovers. at this stage of the season and knowing how much this meant for the club, you would think he would be picking the ball out the back of the net and sprinting to the half way line eager to get the game started.

Gaston is a god.

Clayton is heading for potential club Legend.

Ayala is incredible.

And we should sign Leo as our GK for next season.

I think Rhodes' celebration was fair and actually painted him in a very positive picture. It was a massive howler from the keeper and Rhodes knows that. It wouldn't have been particularly good gamesmanship if he had celebrated like a madman in front of the devastated reserve keeper. Shows a bit of intelligence and humbleness on Rhodes behalf and players like that are often few and far between. It's not like he didn't celebrate the winner at Bolton.

Can we get the Brighton thread up. I see hughton has come out and said the pressure is on us because of the money we have spent. He seems to be focused on the game against us instead of Derby. I will love it if Brighton dropped points against the rams

I think Rhodes' celebration was fair and actually painted him in a very positive picture. It was a massive howler from the keeper and Rhodes knows that. It wouldn't have been particularly good gamesmanship if he had celebrated like a madman in front of the devastated reserve keeper. Shows a bit of intelligence and humbleness on Rhodes behalf and players like that are often few and far between. It's not like he didn't celebrate the winner at Bolton.

Definitely agree with this.

Can we get the Brighton thread up. I see hughton has come out and said the pressure is on us because of the money we have spent. He seems to be focused on the game against us instead of Derby. I will love it if Brighton dropped points against the rams

Sounds like Hughton is running scared

Jordan Rhodes on brink of English Premier League but will Gordon Strachan finally recognise the goal machine? THE Middlesbrough striker netted v Birmingham to take his goal tally to five in the last seven games.

By then a striker Gordon Strachan repeatedly snubs will likely be playing in the world’s richest league.

Jordan Rhodes helped fire Middlesbrough closer to the English Championship title on Friday night with another goal and an assist in the 2-2 draw with Birmingham.

The Teessiders top the table – and Rhodes has been a key figure in their hunt for promotion back to the Premier League.

Since joining Boro from Blackburn on transfer deadline day for £10million, the Scottish hitman has netted six times – with five goals in his last seven appearances.

It took his total to 17 as the goal machine carried on doing what he does best.

At Rovers Rhodes netted 82 times in 159 appearances, an incredible ratio in any context.

But it wasn’t enough to catch Strachan’s eye. In fact, the Scotland manager opted for Tony Watt in his squad for the friendly against the Czech Republic .

On leaving Rhodes out of his squads for the games against the Czechs and Denmark in March, Strachan said: “There is another group, Jordan Rhodes and Johnny Russell and Ross McCormack, I know what they can do. So it’s better that they don’t come along just in case they only play five minutes or don’t get a game at all. That can be disappointing for a player.”

But by the time our nation faces Malta on September 4 Rhodes could be playing in the EPL , taking on some of the world’s meanest defences.

Will he continue to be overlooked even then – or will the Rhodes finally lead to Hampden?

Well it's obviously not over but I'd be more concerned with the players rather than Boro fans as like it or not we will have very little say in this.  Either we'll show up next week or we won't.  The fans will have nowt to do with it really, it's all on the players and staff.

The stadium bouncing for 90 minutes vs. the groans of 33,000 people for the same amount of time will have an effect on the players. No, we're not kicking the ball but to say we have nothing to do with it seems laughable.

I'm more concerned that some Boro fans think it's over and that we've bottled it. The last thing we need with a packed Riverside is fans who've given up before a ball has been kicked.

Spirit of Steaua. Fans chanting 'we only want 4 more'. That's the kind of atmosphere we need. Never say die until it's over.

We know now it will come down to the last game. Regardless of what happens on Monday, if Brighton beat us they'll be up. We can and I think will do something about that but we need to give it our all from the stands no matter what.

Are you surprised though? We've drawn the last three and got out of jail with scrappy last minute goals on more than one occasion recently. Needing a win against Brighton will not be easy particularly given their form. I certainly don't feel confident right now and it's because the team and the manager have showed very obvious signs of nerves.

But those nerves and tension from the stands certainly beam down onto the pitch. If they're feeling nervous, the same feeling coming down from the stands is not going to help. Getting behind them is the only thing we can do to try and force them to believe as well. Like me, you're paying your money to go. Might as well back them with as much noise as possible. Might as well try and raise the performance of our boys and try to intimidate the opposition. Nobody knows whether it will have an effect or not but there's no harm in trying.

I'd personally rather go home deflated and disappointed with the performance after having roared my heart out for 90 minutes than come out after a loss and say "I knew we'd lose today". I couldn't give a shining ***e right now how our run in has gone, we're 1 game away from the Premier League. On the day, those games are not going to matter. All that matters right now is a win in that one game.

Well it's obviously not over but I'd be more concerned with the players rather than Boro fans as like it or not we will have very little say in this.  Either we'll show up next week or we won't.  The fans will have nowt to do with it really, it's all on the players and staff.

The stadium bouncing for 90 minutes vs. the groans of 33,000 people for the same amount of time will have an effect on the players. No, we're not kicking the ball but to say we have nothing to do with it seems laughable.

But those nerves and tension from the stands certainly beam down onto the pitch. If they're feeling nervous, the same feeling coming down from the stands is not going to help. Getting behind them is the only thing we can do to try and force them to believe as well. Like me, you're paying your money to go. Might as well back them with as much noise as possible. Might as well try and raise the performance of our boys and try to intimidate the opposition. Nobody knows whether it will have an effect or not but there's no harm in trying.

I'd personally rather go home deflated and disappointed with the performance after having roared my heart out for 90 minutes than come out after a loss and say "I knew we'd lose today". I couldn't give a shining *** right now how our run in has gone, we're 1 game away from the Premier League. On the day, those games are not going to matter. All that matters right now is a win in that one game.

My thoughts exactly, WCPG. If I weren't on my mobile i'd give you a +1 - I'll owe ya!

We need the atmosphere to be like the home leg of the playoffs last season, get the stadium absolutely bouncing.

Whats the point of going to the game if you already have us beat?

I do not understand that, it does not matter what has gone on before this is one game at the Riverside every fan should be going into the ground ready to shout for the team. The Brighton fans will be coming with full voice we need to drown them out.

Boro have played reasonably well, hit the post and crossbar v Brum. Hit the post and had goals saved on the line etc etc. Then the infamous 'Burnley fan' linesman disallows a perfectly good goal. I know we make our own luck etc but the rub of the green has to go our way at some point. We might have dropped points v Ipswich and Brum, but we had three games where we scored winners in injury time. I've been at games when we needed a win and teams with nothing to play for come and get a result (Leicester 1987-88), the Oxford game 1997-98 when we needed a win and battered Oxford to go up - great party in the Welly after that one - chats of Peter Reids Got a Monkrys Head. This is a MASSIVE game next week, the Playoff Final, but with home advantage if you like. We have beat Sheff Wed, Hull, Derby and Burnley at home - I think without conceding a single goal.

The crowd have to get behind the Boro and, as the song goes, SING YOUR HEARTS OUT FOR THE LADS.

This is drama, this is football and this is our time. Let's stay positive and enjoy the ride. Can't wait for it. Cmon Boro!