oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham (A) 2-2

If anyone Isnt prepared to sing, shout, cheer please dont go to the ground.I live 400 miles away from my beloved Boro, I didnt get a ticket So please, please, be positive an we'll be OK, Your negativity will get to the team, only you can get us over the line

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Full voice and proud hearts. If you've got us beat already, give your ticket to someone with heart, pride and faith!

Il travel from the UAE if there is a ticket available..... I want First dibs.

Can we get the Brighton thread up. I see hughton has come out and said the pressure is on us because of the money we have spent. He seems to be focused on the game against us instead of Derby.  I will love it if Brighton dropped points against the rams

As much as I hate Sean Dyche, you just know he wouldn't even dare talk about the final game with another one coming up on Monday.

Seems a bizarre statement from Hughton seeing as they have to win that game to actually put the pressure on us in the first place.

Well it's obviously not over but I'd be more concerned with the players rather than Boro fans as like it or not we will have very little say in this.  Either we'll show up next week or we won't.  The fans will have nowt to do with it really, it's all on the players and staff.

The stadium bouncing for 90 minutes vs. the groans of 33,000 people for the same amount of time will have an effect on the players. No, we're not kicking the ball but to say we have nothing to do with it seems laughable.

We do have nothing to do with it.   What's laughable is turning up in numbers and giving good support but losing and people disregarding this when this type of discussion comes around.  As far as I can tell it's one of those things where it only helps when we happen to win. We had 30,000+ for the Ipswich game with some tension but also fans getting behind the team and it made no difference at all.  Nearly 30,000 for the Sheff Wed game over Xmas and an early goal to get things going and the rest of the performance went flat.  I could go through countless games that I've been to where we turned up in big numbers and with good support and we still walked away with nothing.  We couldn't buy a win against the Geordies at home for a while until we beat them under McClaren I seem to remember - do you think it's because we weren't making enough noise?

Conversely I can give you games where the opposite occurred and we actually did the business - FA Cup 4th round against Man Utd for example 01/02 season.  Boro fans were protesting about ticket prices as the game was on the box so there was only 17,000 there including 1500/2000 Man Utd fans. We won 2-0.  The two European comeback games - Basel there were only 24,000 in attendance albeit the Steau game was packed out.  Anyone who claims the atmosphere on those nights was bouncing is lying.  It certainly was toward the end (and before the game against Steau) but during the games it wasn't, especially early on when it looked like things were going wrong.

I'm not saying people should go there and sit in silence.  I leave pretty much every game I go to with barely any voice left whether it makes a difference or not.  But what I'm saying is that if the players aren't up for this then it won't matter one bit what we do.  This is all on them and how they deal with the pressure of it all.  It might be nice to think you can make a difference but I promise you that if they don't show up then nothing you or anyone else here does will have any kind of impact.  I don't think we are dealing with the pressure all that well, I don't think we did last season either and I don't believe we the fans have now or had then any part in that.  It's all on the players, yes get behind them absolutely but they will either succeed or fail by themselves not because of us

Can we get the Brighton thread up. I see hughton has come out and said the pressure is on us because of the money we have spent. He seems to be focused on the game against us instead of Derby.  I will love it if Brighton dropped points against the rams

As much as I hate Sean Dyche, you just know he wouldn't even dare talk about the final game with another one coming up on Monday.

Seems a bizarre statement from Hughton seeing as they have to win that game to actually put the pressure on us in the first place.

He's just trying to remove the pressure of their game against Derby that's all.  They need to win that to make sure they don't have to come here and beat us to go up.  In that sense there's clearly a lot of pressure on them to win that game as that one will arguably be easier for them to win than their game against us.

I know, what irritates me is that we have spent a few seasons cutting costs which is why we have spent again and the other teams and fans don't seem to realise that.

Is it Saturday yet!???

Well it's obviously not over but I'd be more concerned with the players rather than Boro fans as like it or not we will have very little say in this.  Either we'll show up next week or we won't.  The fans will have nowt to do with it really, it's all on the players and staff.

The stadium bouncing for 90 minutes vs. the groans of 33,000 people for the same amount of time will have an effect on the players. No, we're not kicking the ball but to say we have nothing to do with it seems laughable.

We do have nothing to do with it.   What's laughable is turning up in numbers and giving good support but losing and people disregarding this when this type of discussion comes around.  As far as I can tell it's one of those things where it only helps when we happen to win. We had 30,000+ for the Ipswich game with some tension but also fans getting behind the team and it made no difference at all.  Nearly 30,000 for the Sheff Wed game over Xmas and an early goal to get things going and the rest of the performance went flat.  I could go through countless games that I've been to where we turned up in big numbers and with good support and we still walked away with nothing.  We couldn't buy a win against the Geordies at home for a while until we beat them under McClaren I seem to remember - do you think it's because we weren't making enough noise?

Conversely I can give you games where the opposite occurred and we actually did the business - FA Cup 4th round against Man Utd for example 01/02 season.  Boro fans were protesting about ticket prices as the game was on the box so there was only 17,000 there including 1500/2000 Man Utd fans. We won 2-0.  The two European comeback games - Basel there were only 24,000 in attendance albeit the Steau game was packed out.  Anyone who claims the atmosphere on those nights was bouncing is lying.  It certainly was toward the end (and before the game against Steau) but during the games it wasn't, especially early on when it looked like things were going wrong.

I'm not saying people should go there and sit in silence.  I leave pretty much every game I go to with barely any voice left whether it makes a difference or not.  But what I'm saying is that if the players aren't up for this then it won't matter one bit what we do.  This is all on them and how they deal with the pressure of it all.  It might be nice to think you can make a difference but I promise you that if they don't show up then nothing you or anyone else here does will have any kind of impact.  I don't think we are dealing with the pressure all that well, I don't think we did last season either and I don't believe we the fans have now or had then any part in that.  It's all on the players, yes get behind them absolutely but they will either succeed or fail by themselves not because of us

I'm not sure if you have ever played in front of a crowd or not, but it does make a difference - especially at key moments.

Albeit I've only played in front of 80-100, I can testify it does give you a kick, some adrenaline, and certainly motivation to do exactly that again. When the fans "roar" (sort of limited how much 100 people can roar), it's something different. That feeling you get as a fan when the noise is great, that sort of kick - the players get it too.

Sure, it's up to the players - but that extra something whatever the *** it is, is invaluable as a player.

Players don't win because of cheering, nor lose because of a lack of it. Spot on. It's also not what I said. It's nowhere near as simple as that.

To say it doesn't ever have an effect on a game continues to be laughable. After all, you said you barely leave a game with any voice remaining. If it has zero effect, what do you actually do it for? Curious what your motivations are if not to try and lift the players.

I've been playing in front of crowds since I was 7 years old participating in 4 different sports. I'm not sure what that has to do with professional sportsmen that play in front of 'big' crowds every time they take to the field? Comparing what I or anyone else on here does with them is ludicrous.

I said in my original post that 'I'd be more concerned with the players rather than Boro fans as like it or not we will have very little say in this. Either we'll show up next week or we won't. The fans will have nowt to do with it really, it's all on the players and staff.' Argue the toss all you like but that is pretty much how it is. If we freeze next week or don't show up then nothing we do as fans will make any difference to that and you're kidding yourselves if you think otherwise.

We've won 16 games this season in a stadium that has hardly been rocking so either the fans actually don't have much of a role in it or the players have somehow managed to struggle through and just happen to have the best home record in the league? A bouncing atmosphere won't simply make the players play well, if it did then we'd have been better off spending the £9m we spent on Rhodes paying 9000 people a grand a piece to fill the ground up each week and make loads of noise.

It's the players and staff that are concerning me at the moment, not what us lot will do next week.

A bouncing atmosphere won't simply make the players play well, if it did then we'd have been better off spending the £9m we spent on Rhodes paying 9000 people a grand a piece to fill the ground up each week and make loads of noise.

Good lord, I feel like banging my head against a brick wall.

As I said:

Players don't win because of cheering, nor lose because of a lack of it. Spot on. It's also not what I said. It's nowhere near as simple as that.

I do not understand what you're getting at, especially when you've not answered the question I actually asked. Why do you cheer if not to try and inspire a better performance? You seem to be making it very clear that you think that it means nothing what happens in the stands, so why even bother?

I'm more concerned that some Boro fans think it's over and that we've bottled it. The last thing we need with a packed Riverside is fans who've given up before a ball has been kicked.

Spirit of Steaua. Fans chanting 'we only want 4 more'. That's the kind of atmosphere we need. Never say die until it's over.

We know now it will come down to the last game. Regardless of what happens on Monday, if Brighton beat us they'll be up. We can and I think will do something about that but we need to give it our all from the stands no matter what.

I'm with you all the way on this one, we have got to lift the roof off the stadium next Saturday, we need to be the 12th man, the Riverside has been a fortress the last 2 seasons, its still in our hands.

We all expect Brighton & Burnley to win on Monday, but just maybe Derby and QPR haven't read the script, West Brom certainly hadn't against Spurs.

Brighton coming to the Riverside for a result is a hard task for any team in the Championship, the rest of the top teams in this division have found that out.

Of course we don't kick a ball or make a tackle or even have a large input for the first 70-75 mins.

But those final minutes when legs are heavy and lungs are bursting, thats when the crowd comes into it. A sudden surge of adrenaline could be the difference to win or lose. We certainly have a part to play. Not a massive part but a part nonetheless

Of course the crowd make a difference Saying we had 30k and lost so it didn't make a difference is idiotic. How does anyone know we wouldn't have lost by more or less even without the crowd

You ask what the players think, most make comments about our away fans chanting and giving support helps them, it's the same at home been applauded and cheered on can only assist them and give them a lift