oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Brighton 1-1 Boro are promoted

Yeah I think the fact that Mike Dean had to call them up on the shenanigans literally a minute before hand shows it wasn't just an isolated incident.

Stephens was hurling abuse at Gaston while Gaston tried to walk away, something said made him turn back to face Stephens and Stephens immediately pushed Gaston.

I saw that and then the red card happened about a minute or so after. I have just seen the challenge again. For me it was a red card as I do think he made sure he got the man as well as the ball although the end result was perhaps worse than he had intended. It may be judged harsh by some but that incident ended the game of our most influential player who was running the game.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Been on the Brighton forum and the hostility towards us is shocking. Left a sour taste towards them. I'm not fussed anyway coz WE ARE PREMIER LEAGUE

They are simply trying to find any reason of their failure.

To be honest, I don't get why there are some argues on the red card. As for me, it's a straight red card without any doubts.

Question

Will anyone miss the Tuesday night games?

Yes... but we'll probably have them back soon enough!! LOVING the fact that we've got promoted, and can't quite believe it... but the Premier League is a tough ask. Delighted to have a crack... but it could be short lived.

I am MOST pleased for Steve Gibson. He is Mr Middlesbrough. By back rolling the Boro for 30 years, he's basically shared his wealth with all of us. WHAT a bloody great chairman....

CONE ON BORO !!!

I don't think there was intent, he was just first to the ball coming at an angle where he couldn't help but make contact with Ramirez.  He might have been pumped up but I don't think there was any intent to injure him.  Just one of those things.

That'd be the biggest coincidence in the world then, I feel. He 100% knew who he was going into that tackle with, and went in in such a way he knew he'd leave something on Gaston.

Hardly a coincidence that he put a challenge in on him when he'd put challenges in on him throughout the game.  It's not like they were going to avoid each other.  As I said he might have been pumped up to get the ball first especially seeing that it was Ramirez but I just don't think he intended to hurt him.

our tactics will work better against better teams. we like to keep it tight and break. but being better than pretty much everyone in the championship meant everyone sat back against us, even away from home.

AK is the man to lead us forward. the squad and the manager have been through it. we've come out on the other side stronger. coming through the hard times builds strong relationships, we need to stay together.

I think Everton in the cup this year showed that this view is a bit naive. They tore us apart, and they are mid table. We need to be able to score goals... and we don't really.

GREAT that we've gone up, and I'm delighted.... but next season could be a struggle!

Their forum is hilarious. Its like watching a car-crash in slow-motion.

At what point do they actually recognise that they did this to themselves when they choked on their patch against Derby on Monday?

7 goals conceded at home all season, only lost twice all year and the last team to score more than one was over 20 months ago and they still think they had a chance at 1-1? Laughable.

our tactics will work better against better teams. we like to keep it tight and break. but being better than pretty much everyone in the championship meant everyone sat back against us, even away from home.

AK is the man to lead us forward. the squad and the manager have been through it. we've come out on the other side stronger. coming through the hard times builds strong relationships, we need to stay together.

I think Everton in the cup this year showed that this view is a bit naive. They tore us apart, and they are mid table. We need to be able to score goals... and we don't really.

GREAT that we've gone up, and I'm delighted.... but next season could be a struggle!

What about the Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City cup games?

Its hard to know how we will fare tbh. But I feel more confident with AK in charge than I would going up with someone like Dyche.

Question

Will anyone miss the Tuesday night games?

Yes... but we'll probably have them back soon enough!! LOVING the fact that we've got promoted, and can't quite believe it... but the Premier League is a tough ask. Delighted to have a crack... but it could be short lived.

I am MOST pleased for Steve Gibson. He is Mr Middlesbrough. By back rolling the Boro for 30 years, he's basically shared his wealth with all of us. WHAT a bloody great chairman....

CONE ON BORO !!!

Disagree, we will certainly spend more money than Burnley and whoever else goes up as well as Bournemouth, Watford, West Brom, Palace etc. After spending so much time and money getting promoted I can see us giving it a real good go next season. We will have the money and for once I think we have the people who know how and where to spend it correctly.

Some poor teams in the premier league the last few years, we can certainly compete

GREAT that we've gone up, and I'm delighted.... but next season could be a struggle

did you see the team we put out? pe dena and nando on the left. the worst two players in the whole squad we could put there.

they never tore us apart either. they were better than us granted. they played a full team and we played a weakened one. the gap isnt as big as your making out.  very naive view to judge how we will do next season one one cup game. what about the other cup games at united, liverpool, city etc did you take them into account before making your judgement. 

your a stereotypical boro fan looking for a negative a***st many more positives.  :D

Next season will most defiantly be a struggle, it is for every team all season. its a very tough unforgiving league, always has been.

we will have to adjust for a bit. the opposition will be stronger than us most weeks but we have in the past and will in the future take points off better teams. i have more faith in this team to beat the teams around us than robson/macs teams. we used to beat teams like united and chelsea then lose to lower end teams west brom and watford frequently. used to annoy the hell out of me.

Karanka and his Real Madrid connection, it's going to be exciting, my only hope is we survive next season and stay up, add a few more quality players, we can definitely stay up.

if we get Leicester odds to win the league at 5000/1 i'm putting some money on that :)

Well, just woken up from the night before here in NZ.  Obviously disappointed, but to be honest we never really looked like winning.  Boro could have been further ahead by half time and we were on the ropes.  We played a lot of slick passing until we got to the final third, but your defence strangled Hemed and Knockaert.

The red card - difficult one really.  The injury looked pretty gruesome and the fact Stephens and Ramirez weren't showing too much love for each other naturally influenced the ref.  That said, we all see those challenges hundreds of times during the course of a game and they rarely have that result.  When it first happened I thought it looked pretty innocuous, but the injury proved otherwise.  I don't think Stephens did it intentionally, but I can see why he saw red.

Did it change the course of the game?  Who knows?  We were having a good spell, but that doesn't mean we would have gone on and won.  Like I said above your boys had our strikers in their pockets.

Anyway, well done and enjoy the moment.  Your team deserved it over the course of the season and we still have the 'fun' of the play-offs to come....

Well, just woken up from the night before here in NZ.  Obviously disappointed, but to be honest we never really looked like winning.  Boro could have been further ahead by half time and we were on the ropes.  We played a lot of slick passing until we got to the final third, but your defence strangled Hemed and Knockaert.

The red card - difficult one really.  The injury looked pretty gruesome and the fact Stephens and Ramirez weren't showing too much love for each other naturally influenced the ref.  That said, we all see those challenges hundreds of times during the course of a game and they rarely have that result.  When it first happened I thought it looked pretty innocuous, but the injury proved otherwise.  I don't think Stephens did it intentionally, but I can see why he saw red.

Did it change the course of the game?  Who knows?  We were having a good spell, but that doesn't mean we would have gone on and won.  Like I said above your boys had our strikers in their pockets.

Anyway, well done and enjoy the moment.  Your team deserved it over the course of the season and we still have the 'fun' of the play-offs to come....

Honestly, thanks for trying to take an unbiased view on the red card decision. I also thought it looked pretty innocuous in real time but every time I watch it back the contact makes me wince, even though he got the ball it was high and the studs were showing, and although we'll never know whether it was intentional or not, it doesn't bode well for Dale that he was saying something in Gaston's ear 2 minutes before to provoke him. If you watch the replay back when the Brighton players are contesting the red card you can see Mike Dean pointing at Gaston's leg and you can clearly lip read him saying "look at his leg". Is it wrong that Dean used the evidence of the injury to back up and confirm his initial view of the challenge?

Besides that, from our point of view we lost our best player on the pitch in Ramirez, so it could be argued that we might've gone on to win it if he hadn't got injured. Also, I thought that maybe Knockaert was a little lucky not to get sent off, there was one challenge where he very well could've got a second yellow, so it's all swings and roundabouts really.

I know that might not be what you want to hear, but we were in the exact same position a year ago, except we'd just lost the play off final whereas you have another crack at promotion in the play offs. Best of luck to you.