oneBoro Forum

Championship Play Off Final: Sheffield Wednesday V Hull City 1700hrs 28/05 Wembley

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Must admit t feel sorry for Brighton, to finish on 89 points, which is the first time in 18 years that total hasn't gained promotion and to finish 15 points clear of Wednesday is a hard one to take.

Yes I agree that they have concentrated on the Boro game rather than looking forward but as a fan they must be reeling, imagine how we would feel.

Any Brighton fans looking at our forum, all the best at the Amex on Monday, maybe a step to far but stranger things have happened.

89 points wouldn't have gained them auto promotion in the previous two years. Last year it would again have been down to GD and the year before that second place got 93 points!

Must admit t feel sorry for Brighton, to finish on 89 points, which is the first time in 18 years that total hasn't gained promotion and to finish 15 points clear of Wednesday is a hard one to take.

Yes I agree that they have concentrated on the Boro game rather than looking forward but as a fan they must be reeling, imagine how we would feel.

Any Brighton fans looking at our forum, all the best at the Amex on Monday, maybe a step to far but stranger things have happened.

89 points wouldn't have gained them auto promotion in the previous two years. Last year it would again have been down to GD and the year before that second place got 93 points!

Yes, but Derby who were third got 85 points in the year that Burnley were second with 93 points, so coming second with 89 points would have been enough. I think that's the point. 89 points has never not been enough (as long as you came 2nd(!)).

A different way of saying it is simply that 89 points is one of the highest 3rd place totals ever - lol. It's very unusual for three teams to have 89 points or above.

Yes, but Derby who were third got 85 points in the year that Burnley were second with 93 points, so coming second with 89 points would have been enough. I think that's the point. 89 points has never not been enough (as long as you came 2nd(!)).

A different way of saying it is simply that 89 points is one of the highest 3rd place totals ever - lol. It's very unusual for three teams to have 89 points or above.

89 points has not been enough before, in 97 Sunderland finished third with 90.

But to think hull came second with only 79 points in 12/13. Think the league has definitely gotten stronger and you now have to get around 90 pts to finish in the autos.

I don't think we'd have completely avoided being aggrieved by a sending off incident but I think much more fans than not on here seem to be level-headed enough to accept our downfalls.

I certainly think this season had we not got the result needed, there would have been more anger and disappointment aimed at the team and the manager rather than blaming Brighton. Just like the play-off final last May, we blamed our own approach to the game and that Norwich were just much better than us on the day. We'd have looked at results against Charlton, Rotherham, Bristol City, etc. where we just didn't pick up enough points and that we shouldn't have had it go down to a last-game decider as four more points out of those games would have been enough to avoid needing a result against Brighton.

But the fans who we'd seen on NSC hadn't blamed poor results against the top teams (barring the odd couple I saw last night), they hadn't blamed it on losing points against their main rivals. They'd outright blamed us for the result on the day, our conduct and pinned the entirety of their failings on our club. That's not fair, we didn't play in 44 of their matches and the 2 we did play in they didn't turn up against us in either game regardless of a sending off.

As we've seen last night, they looked down and out, they weren't going for it barring the two chances which fell to Hemed in the first half. They looked like a beaten team for most the game. 4 injuries to key players certainly did not help that of course and though I think it does say something about their physical preparation you really can't do much about those things going your way on the day and I feel for them because of that, you never want to see a contest seemingly lost because of a team going down to 10 men due to an injury.

89 points has not been enough before, in 97 Sunderland finished third with 90.

When I said never.... I didn't actually mean never. I have seen in other posts people mentioning in the last 18 years, so I meant to say that really :D

Thank you for pulling me up on it though Will.

I like my stats.... but it's important to make them accurate.

Totals to get promoted will usually be high, especially when there are very weak teams at the bottom, such as Bolton this season. Every season is different though, so it's a fairly pointless exercise.

I still want Brighton to go up, and I still believe they can. If they can get an early goal in the 2nd leg, then it's game on.

I think Boro fans who are saying "I wanted Brighton, but now f*** 'em after their reaction" are being equally churlish. Had the 'incident' between Ramirez and Stephens been exactly the opposite way round, there is no way that we'd have all been saying it was definitely a red card. There's no knowing whether Brighton could have scored again with 11 men.... but it's no wonder that some fans were hugely cheesed off.

To be fair, the 'social media' reaction, and the moaning on the forum is still a tiny minority of the total, decent Brighton support.

Brighton got the same points as Boro over the course of the season. They and Burnley had an extremely impressive return against the bottom half of the league. Fortunately, we were better against the top half which saw us home - just.

I just think that finishing 15 points above Wednesday, it's kind of harsh were Wednesday to go up instead.

I certainly don't want Hull to go up either. They had parachute payments, and kept hold of most of their Prem squad, and they have still fallen short. They definitely don't deserve to go back up.

Apart from Brighton, the only team I wouldn't mind going up is Derby.

But ideally..... come on Brighton.

I think they are stuffed. They've got dunk back but no Stephens knockhart or sidwell. It'll take a miracle

Derby team:

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson

Hughes Bryson Johnson

Ince Martin Russell

Subs: Grant, Buxton, Hendrick, Bent, Baird, Butterfield, Blackman

Hull team:

Jakupovic

Odubajo Dawson Davies Robertson

Elmohamady Livermore Huddlestone Snodgrass

Diame

Hernandez