oneBoro Forum

Dont see how Roy is useless. He's not brilliant but certainly not useless. Winning all 10 of our qualifying matches is no mean feat at international level at all. The problem was after Capello there was a silly desire to have a English manager and it was between him and Harry Redknapp which I thank god for the fact we didn't choose.

Personally I think Roy will be gone after this tournament regardless of how well/bad we do and if we want to do well on the international stage we have to pay for a world class manager which unfortunately we don't have any English ones at that standard

Yeah "useless" was a bit strong, admittedly. But I'm frustrated that the old man has become sentimental to the detriment of the team. Rooney should probably be benched to allow this team to click, but he will start him in all three group games I bet, because he's "muh captain". And he bloody loves Wilshere for no reason I can fathom, he should be nowhere near this team.

I just hope we can bring someone in who will choose and utilise the best players for the job, regardless of their name or club.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

It's really depressing that Roy feels he has to accommodate Rooney in the first 11 to the detriment of others. I also get the feeling Roy doesn't even know know his best 11 or tactics.

I just said exactly this. How many years has he had in the job now and I genuinely have no idea what formation we will play or which players will start in the next match. He seems to keep changing things in response to press criticism. He should have had his best 11 playing the last couple of matches and that clearly cannot include Rooney on this seasons form.

Dont see how Roy is useless. He's not brilliant but certainly not useless. Winning all 10 of our qualifying matches is no mean feat at international level at all. The problem was after Capello there was a silly desire to have a English manager and it was between him and Harry Redknapp which I thank god for the fact we didn't choose.

Personally I think Roy will be gone after this tournament regardless of how well/bad we do and if we want to do well on the international stage we have to pay for a world class manager which unfortunately we don't have any English ones at that standard

Yeah "useless" was a bit strong, admittedly. But I'm frustrated that the old man has become sentimental to the detriment of the team. Rooney should probably be benched to allow this team to click, but he will start him in all three group games I bet, because he's "muh captain". And he bloody loves Wilshere for no reason I can fathom, he should be nowhere near this team.

I just hope we can bring someone in who will choose and utilise the best players for the job, regardless of their name or club.

He played alli Kane vardy dier. I'd hardly call them sentimental. And we were rubbish so maybe being sentimental and starting Wilshire Henderson etc would have been better

He played alli Kane vardy dier.   I'd hardly call them sentimental.  And we were rubbish so maybe being sentimental and starting Wilshire Henderson etc would have been better

3 of the 4 you mentioned were made to play roles that didn't suit them just to accommodate Rooney. we didn't look to play Vardy in behind and him and Kane spent most of the game out wide closing down the full backs. Alli was shackled and made to play an unfamiliar role when he's a natural no 10 and in excellent form.

We were a team with zero creativity yesterday totally reliant on long diagonal balls to the pacey fullbacks. Fancy us to go out in the group stages.

Roy Hodgson lead England to finish bottom of the group with 1 point at the world cup, Costa Rica won that group with 7 points.. COSTA RICA top with 7 points, ENGLAND bottom with 1 point.. Useless is an understatement.

Hodgson just played the two most prolific premier league goalscorers of last season split wide to accommodate a past it Rooney who should be nowhere near this England squad..

Hodgson isn't & won't play to the likes of Ali's & Vardy's strengths because he wants to accommodate a proven failure in the finals of the big tournaments (Rooney)... But Rooney scored this, Rooney scored that, Rooney is the all time top England goalscorer, Blah Blah Blah... What about now? He isn't anywhere near the best England player & there's not one position on the pitch were an England player isn't better than him. What was the last tournament in the finals we're Rooney looks anywhere near a top player? The fact is, He is past it but just like all the other overrated players before him, They stuck around far far to long.

This England squad had the players & talent to get to the final & maybe even win it but with Roy Hodgson in charge it has zero chance of getting to the Final.

Roy Hodgson is useless & he will prove it once again.

If you're going in the World Cup performance only then yes I agree with you. However that's not the full or real world we live in. But I do take your blah blah blah point on board.

We had a perfect qualifying campaign and beat the current world champions away from home so yes going on that we are going to win the euros. But the thats not the real world either. I think we have a squad good enough for the quarters, maybe the semis but that's it. But I'm of the opinion that Rooney is very important to England

You're using one bad tournament in a 40-year managerial career to point out that he's useless?

How about the 10 victories out of 10 that got us to the finals? I know there were some minnows in there, but 10 out of 10 is a decent ratio at international level regardless of who you're playing.

I don't think Hodgson is the best manager around, and i don't think he's going to lead us to victory, but he is a far cry from useless.

I hate the school holidays on here.

I don't think he's useless. I do think he's a square peg round holes kinda guy who seemingly refuses to actually play good football.

His qualifying campaign was good and I can only hope these friendlies aren't an example of what's to come in France.

Basically I think Hodgson is a bit scared that if we didn't play Rooney and we lost then he would get slaughtered by the press.

There was a thing I read online where there were four fake press reactions to Hodgson a) starting Rooney, b) leaving him on the bench, c) bringing him on as sub, and d) not taking him to France at all. And basically every one was slating him.

I can't find it any more but it was quite funny.

I don't think he's useless. I do think he's a square peg round holes kinda guy who seemingly refuses to actually play good football.

His qualifying campaign was good and I can only hope these friendlies aren't an example of what's to come in France.

3 wins from 3?

I'd snap your hand off for that in France.

3 wins from 3?

I'd snap your hand off for that in France.

If you think play like that will result in wins in a competitive environment I have a bridge to sell you.

He played Rooney because he wanted to see if him, Vardy and Kane could click. The issue for me wasn't that because it was worth trying. The issue was that the way we actually tried to do it was wrong. Rooney should have been playing a lot deeper and Vardy and Kane more centrally than they were. Obviously that would mean Alli playing a more defined role and less attacking but so be it. To me it was poor execution of the idea.