oneBoro Forum

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

That's what fresh legs can do on the counter. Even if they are as slow as Schweinsteiger

He ran further celebrating that goal than he did the whole of this season for United

May be in a minority, but (I'm) one of those that sees club over country every time. It's not lack of patriotism, just having England in competitions of this nature doesn't generate enough interest. Wasn't born until after the World Cup win in '66 so haven't seen the national team win anything in the years since, and by all accounts this year represents one of the best opportunities ever : given the calibre of teams participating and previous winners such as Spain or Germany a good distance from their past stature or effectiveness.

I don't what it's like up in the North East, but any sight of Saint George flags and support is few and far between down here. It's almost like people can't be bothered or it's "well you know what to expect, this year won't be any different". In previous tournaments you could see flags and bunting in many places but (this year) there is a clear lack of any such thing when you're out and about.

Heard about the sporadic trouble in M***ille in recent days and guessing some of our leading firms such as Leeds and Millwall went over for one reason and one reason only. Yes Ok, some of the other nations may have been the belligerents but seems a case of when alcohol, national pride and lack of common sense take over, the end result will invariably end in some level of hostility. Hopefully any further incident will be few and far between and the competition can be remembered for the right reasons.

Wales should have the greatest national celebration than any Saint David's Day if they can beat us in the next game but still confident we can make it through. As for winning it outright I think there's a very good chance especially as mentioned, former greats and winners are a pale imitation of their previous stature. You have to believe the 50 year anniversary will be more than pure coincidence.

Oh don't get us wrong. I don't speak for everyone here but if it was a choice between the Boro and England, I'd pick Boro every time. If they played at the same time, assuming we never had any representatives (which is a pretty reasonable assumption at the moment!), I'm not even sure I'd even pay as much attention.

It's easy not to build up a real affiliation with national teams when you play around 13-18 competitive games every 2 years. For players, a lot of them see it as the top of their game. But for the majority of fans, you're at each others throats the rest of those 2 years.

I didn't even celebrate when England scored on Saturday. Don't get me wrong i was happy England had scored but as Wilson said i find it hard to relate to them like i do the Boro.

I celebrated but I didn't look forward to the game anymore than I've looked forward to every other game.

Love me some euros but agree its difficult to truly connect with the England team like we do boro.

I can't watch a football match without siding with one of the teams, I find it impossible to be neutral.

Sometimes I have a soft spot for a particular team, sometimes I simply favour the underdogs, sometimes I like a certain player or manager, more often than not, I dislike one of the teams for various reasons.

I always cheer when my favoured team score, England fall into this category, I was happy when they scored, I won't be devastated when they get knocked out, that's the beauty of international tournaments as far as I'm concerned.

I think most people who support a Premier League team are more interested in their team and less in England, I'm no different! Let the championship and league 1 supporters follow England there are always plenty of flags from team such as Peterborough and Millwall..... it's a glimpse of the big time for those fans.

I don't feel anywhere near the passion for England as i do Boro, I still like England to do well though and celebrate when we score, it's my country but you put so much in to following your team that it's a natural bond I don't think you can get that with more than one team I know I certainly couldn't.

I think like Billy said above that a lot of the fans are lower league teams and its their chance to get abroad and follow a 'big team'.

I like the euros and the World Cup as a whole though watching football everyday and some of it can be great football and I'd love England to win one while I'm alive but I'm never to fussed when we get knocked out but when Boro lose especially at the play offs or the cup finals I'm devastated. The build up to the Brighton game was one of the most intense of my life pretty sad our lass would say :p but it's in the blood. I don't think I'd be like that for England even if they where in the final

Way I see England is just a team to support when Boro aren't playing.

Aduriz simply doesn't fit the team at all. He was useless against Georgia. He was picked on form alone, even though he's been banging them in constantly in Spain for the past four seasons. He was never selected because he didn't fit the style of play that the NT play.

I would have picked Torres. The guy has experience and can do it in tournaments. He is the Spanish Klose. Plus he's younger than Aduriz.

Also what has Paco Alcácer done to get snubbed? Surely the whole point is that you select younger guys like Inaki Williams and Alcácer. Spain must have the weakest front-line out of any of the big teams in the Euros. Pedro, Vasquez and Nolito are wide players so that leaves you with two centre forwards that have a combined total of 4 goals between them.

Honestly I think Spain are trying hard to revert back to their pre-2006 form of being fancied also-rans.

Also, whilst we are on the subject of talent-spotting - how the hell has no club looked at Ladislav Krejčí?

He's been quality for Sparta Prague all season and was one of the main reasons they got to the Europa League quarter-finals.

I know we signed we Fisher and all but I would love for us to sign this guy.

I've been thinking all game this is just like the Northern Ireland game except it looks like Czech Republic are actually going to hold out for a draw... and then comes the goal. Not a great match.