oneBoro Forum

Season Tickets back on sale

Ignorant for having different views? Isn't it ignorant to think everyone should think same

It's not about supporters anymore. The club just see us as consumers and you're one of the silly one's that agree with their ethics.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 25 and have never been a season ticket holder.

Growing up my family could never afford it. When I could finally afford it I went to Uni and a Season ticket would have been useless to me. Having left Uni I was jobless and broke and therefore couldn't afford one.

I then had got a job and a had a child with my partner. Every weekend is therefore devoted to my daughter, up until she is old enough to come to games with me. As a result, I had planned to buy my very first season ticket for the 2019/2020 season along with my daughters very first season ticker.

As someone who has never had one, I think it's very poor of the club to punish people for not being "loyal" when people have other circumstances. They can argue that they have been loyal to the loyal supporters. But let me ask you, was it the Fans fault we were relegated to the Championship? Did they reduce season ticket prices after we were relegated? No. They did not. They froze premier league season ticket prices meaning fans were watching far poorer football at premier league prices.

So it does not affect me, but EVEN I know this is disgraceful. I am ashamed of my football club, I thought we were different. I was wrong. When did money become loyalty?

It's not about having different views. The ignorance is about what's going on in the world around you. And yes some of you appear to be ignorant about that.

Ignorant for having different views? Isn't it ignorant to think everyone should think same

It's not about supporters anymore. The club just see us as consumers and you're one of the silly one's that agree with their ethics.

I've said many times that I don't agree with what the club has done and that football in a whole for pricing is disgusting as is most sports around the world now. But as much as I want to have a winge about pricing of football I don't see how most people can say that it's the ticket prices that is the reason for them not going. I can gaurentee that nearly everyone of the people moaning about the prices would of paid good money to attend the Brighton game and also the play offs if we had to and Wembley if we got through. Just as they did last season the best thing was on the way back on the tube the number of Boro fans saying I'm not getting a season ticket now coz all boro does it let you down. So no matter what there is something to moan about whether it's he price, not being in the prem, playing awful football people will always moan. That's not ignorance that's just me seeing it how it is.

It's ironic how incredibly ignorant that statement is. At it's basic level as viewers of entertainment, of course we are the consumer. But I think at the very least over the past 11-12 years I've been supporting Boro, I've never thought that's all they thought of us as.

As I've said earlier in this thread, I'm sticking firmly on the fence right now because we absolutely do not know all the variables and my criticism of the club remains firmly at that individual thing, that they haven't given us enough information to justify the increase and that should be the next action from the club, not dropping prices because of demand to do so.

But it's not even been a week and people are suddenly creating figures from season ticket sales and deciding they know how the financial structure of a football club in the Premier League works. With such a huge increase in the price, it's surely ignorant to say that the only reason the club has done it is because we are just consumers. There will be targets that have to be met to cover costs and ensure we continue to function as a club in the Premier League. But realistically, until we have more information, how can we all immediately point the finger and say this is wrong?

Ignorance of the world around me? I've been put on a 4 day working week for the next 6 month. I've binned by Virgin TV as a result. That enables me to pay for my ticket without worrying about the rest of my bills. Sacrifices.

People want all the rewards, but aren't prepared to put in the effort.

Sunderlands walk up prices are disgusting and a lot of people I work with say if they didn't have a season ticket they wouldn't go especially to pay for what they get. Also Sunderland tried the expensive tickets when they first moved to the SoL and for a few seasons struggled to get into the high 20 thousands.

Last season it was a lads bday and they where going out around Sunderland after the game most being Sunderland fans were going to the game first and the rest had to buy tickets or meet up after £42 for a ticket to watch Sunderland vs Norwich no thanks I wouldn't go if it was free and the best part was they got beat so that's £42 for Norwich what they gonna charge for Chelsea? Man Utd?.

Football should always be for the supporters and is getting more and more expensive all the time which is shocking with out supporters football and football clubs would be nothing and the people making millions from it would have to try find a living somewhere else but people complaining about Gibbo and the club just doesn't wash sorry what about the burnley game last season the Ipswich game the charlton game the Bristol game they were all less prices but were where people then? Now it's prem football everyone wants to say they'll go but not at them prices it's ridiculous I'm not defending the club i think the price of football is shocking and should be less the club could of done more and should not of put the prices up at all in my opinion we're all paying for the same thing so should get it at the same price but I can't stand listening to people say there being priced out and can't got so will watch it on the Internet for free or go down the club and still spend £40 you don't have to go your not forced to go so if you want to watch it at home or in the club your no less of a fan but you don't have to say the reason your not going is price because you didn't go when the prices where less.

That's not a dig at anyone who genuinely can't make games, lives away there's obviously people who for circumstances can't go to every game and would like to moved away, working, can't afford it, party's, more important things to do but people need to be honest with them selves if they knocked £70 off it wouldn't of made a difference to most people they still wouldn't of got one and there would still be people saying they shouldn't of went up at all. The price of razors are shocking but if I want to shave I buy them if I don't I don't it's simple your not forced to go. They are actually selling really well which surprises me as there is such criticism towards the prices or atleast on the forums and as for a petition for Steve Gibson to give his head a wobble that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard and I'm embarrassed that it's Boro fans who've thought that up.

Sunderland have never struggled to get into the high 20 thousands.  There lowest average attendance at the new ground is 27,000+. They've only had two seasons ever there that were lower than 30,000 average and they were both in what is now the Championship.

You have no idea whether people are or aren't being priced out of things.  If people are being priced out then they can say that and who the *** are you to tell them that they can't or they shouldn't? Wind your neck in fella.  Not wanting to listen is where you start to sound ignorant by the way.

We live in one of the most economically deprived areas of the country.  We have just been promoted to the Premier League for the first time since 2008.  There is no justification at all for having ticket prices that are higher than a number of clubs that are already there. None.  As for Steve Gibson, if he's signed off on these price changes then he should give his head a shake.  Talking about the job losses in the Steel industry (and others) one minute and then jacking up prices the next?  Talk is cheap, which is a shame because our tickets aren't.

Some people don't have anymore subscriptions they can sack off. What about them?

Some people already live pay cheque to pay cheque. What about them?

The TV rights money has increased by over 3000%. Why take even MORE money from their fans?

As someone else has already said, £2m does not mean as much to the club as £150 for one fan.

Ignorance of the world around me? I've been put on a 4 day working week for the next 6 month. I've binned by Virgin TV as a result. That enables me to pay for my ticket without worrying about the rest of my bills. Sacrifices.

People want all the rewards, but aren't prepared to put in the effort.

Yes ignorance of the world around you - not everyone is in the same position as you are!  Some are probably a lot worse off.  Maybe consider that point and stop simply seeing it from your own point of view?  If I can manage then everyone else has to manage as well or it's tough luck?  Interesting attitude.

Just out of interest, what is the 'reward' in paying a reasonable price for something?

Ignorant of the world around. I worked at SSI so I was actually one of those directly affected by the closure of the steel works I also know a lot of people who worked there and I can tell you this not many of them where season ticket holders not all of them even had an interest in Boro the last 2 seasons have generated a lot more interest so obviously more people are wanting to go especially now where in the big time. People haven't not gone because of money over the last few years and I know there is people who can't go because they genuinely can't afford it I personally know people who can't afford it and I have been in that situation my self I've lived in Middlesbrough all my life and i know a lot of people around Middlesbrough I'm 26 and I can tell you now I know for a fact there's a lot of people around my age who can afford it there's a lot of people who would rather go out every weekend and watch it down he pub instead but that's there choice. Tickets could be £20 and there's still people who couldn't afford it that's they way of the world and I'm not being ignorant I'm not made of money I have to sacrifice things to go to the matches I want it all but can't have it all that's the same for most people.

I feel genuinely sorry for anyone who can't afford it and would love nothing more than to go I really hope your fortunes change and you get to enjoy watching the club you love but do I feel for the people who are just using this as there excuse to stay away this season instead of the quality of football no I don't I think it's embarrassing that you'd rather berate the club and Steve Gibson than just say you know what I don't really want to go.

I'd love to go to every away game this year but I can't afford it or put enough time into it but I'll have a winge at the club and football in general because it's there fault I'm in the circumstances I am.

PS if I haven't been able to make a game I have offered it about and I've done it on here. I haven't asked for money when I've done it because it's not about the money if someone who can't normally go and wants to then I'd rather them go and enjoy it than the seat being empty or giving it to someone who doesn't care but will take it coz it's cheap or free so I'm very aware of what's going on around me thank you very much but let's all judge each other because of opinions on a Internet forum make us who we are

I do think that this article in the Gazette is a good read by Vickers, he's answered some of the questions that are being asked in here, there's a video to watch too:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-season-tickets-anthony-11358596

I agree he has given some very good answers. As someone who has been priced out of a season card for the last few years and only makes it to a handful of matches I don't mind the ticket increase for many of the reasons he talks about.

I understand people have been paid off and have higher priorities, but that's not the fault of MFC. MFC need to operate as a business, it isn't a charity.

Those who have no money - are the club expected to give them free tickets? If they couldn't afford tickets at the Early Bird, how did they think they could afford it at the general sale price?

At the end of the day, football is and always be a luxury.

I understand people have been paid off and have higher priorities, but that's not the fault of MFC. MFC need to operate as a business, it isn't a charity.

Those who have no money - are the club expected to give them free tickets? If they couldn't afford tickets at the Early Bird, how did they think they could afford it at the general sale price?

At the end of the day, football is and always be a luxury.

You keep saying it's a business as though that covers everything, as if it justifies any decision that is made.  It doesn't.  Fair pricing isn't being charitable either and I don't believe anyone has mentioned free tickets.