oneBoro Forum

Season Tickets back on sale

At the end of the day it just feels a bit slimy to talk about how the area needed promotion and how the people of teesside struggle and mfc is a family club and then raise the price by 170 odd quid.

Doesn't sit right with me.

I know the main argument against is "well you should have booked when it was cheap" but that doesn't account for the tons of fans that couldn't for whatever reason.

I'm sure there are fans that were waiting to see what division we were in and that's bad luck to them, but there will be tons of genuine fans that had valid reasons to wait.

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

But Gibson already does take the hits by pumping £1m a month into the club, doesn't he? He's been doing that for the whole of the time he's been keeping the ticket prices down waiting for the fans to come back, hasn't he? That's what we're to understand. Perhaps after donating so much to the cause he's now wanting a bit of return or at least somewhat try and level out what he's paid into us? Should we really deny him that if that is the case?

I mean I really don't understand how we can ultimately sit here and say this is fair or this isn't fair when we're moving between two divisions that have such financial differences that many of us, certainly myself, have no idea about. That's why I'm really just asking questions and being inquisitive. I think the club has failed to provide information and that's essentially my stance as a whole, right now.

I keep saying we're not in a position of much information from these increases with the most official source seemingly being some facts and some opinion from the Gazette, without being critical towards you CT, what is your genuine opinion on that? Do you think we have all the information we need to make a judgement of the club's financial decisions? Or do you, like me, believe we would very much benefit from an official statement from the club that will attempt to justify these decisions before we ultimately decide that this is a failure on their part?

Well this year he won't be pumping £1m a month into it unless they do something stupid of course. It's also not as simple as him putting that money into the club himself.  If he wants a bit of return as you put it then he should take that from the vast sum of money we will earn via the TV rights not from jacking up ticket prices that will generate relatively small revenues by comparison.  To be clear, if Gibson came out and said we weren't going to spend much this summer because he wanted to get some return on the investment he's made then I wouldn't mind one bit but he's not going to do that so that's an invalid argument to make.  

I don't know what the Gazette knows about MFC financial status.  I imagine they've seen the published accounts and that's about it.  The same goes for me obviously, I'm not some insider, party to all of the internal workings of the club.  But I do know about business and finance and I can get a reasonable idea of where we are now and where we're going based on the figures that are fact and in the public domain.  That's why I can say with some certainty that the price rises aren't a necessity, they're doing it because they know they can get away with it and sell a lot of tickets regardless.

The club could make a statement but it will essentially be that they gave it serious thought beforehand and they believe they've priced things fairly when you take into account the promotion to the Premier League.  There will be some mention of the club's ambition this summer and beyond whilst attempting to link the price rises to that.

Yeah I could imagine them coming from that angle even though there is a relatively small extra income boost from jacking up prices.

Basically when you run the numbers in relative terms. It's a small amount gained for the club in comparison to a large amount extra each fan would have to shell out. Our season tickets would be mid table in the premier league price table and yet we have just been promoted and are in one of the worst (if not the worst) deprived areas in the country. The area our club is supposed to champion. Is it any surprise to people why this is grating?

I've always known there has been some club stooges on here but ***ing hell. Some people are ridiculous.

I'm not particularly surprised people are annoyed about it. As CT keeps saying, there are plenty of people in different situations that this will affect and as Brunners has just said this won't just be the people who have waited to see which division we were in. To those that were waiting because of this, I really don't feel much sympathy for. You'd have financially shot yourself in the foot regardless, this is just a more expensive shot than you might have expected and if you can afford to go and have the time to go, I'd really hope that support would be there regardless of the division.

But of course, I understand why people are annoyed. I just personally don't feel like I have enough information to fully understand the reason the prices have gone up so heavily and feel like there really should be more of an explanation from the club rather than rolling out the 4 or 5 paragraphs that they already did along with the prices, praising the support and expecting that to be enough.

I feel like the club can at least fight back some of the criticism by providing some kind of explanation in layman's terms and I'm sure what with the up-rise of the online petitions, the letters and e-mails from fans and of course the very blunt statement from the Red Faction, we are sure to hear something other than just waffle within the next week.

Yeah I could imagine them coming from that angle even though there is a relatively small extra income boost from jacking up prices.

Basically when you run the numbers in relative terms. It's a small amount gained for the club in comparison to a large amount extra each fan would have to shell out. Our season tickets would be mid table in the premier league price table and yet we have just been promoted and are in one of the worst (if not the worst) deprived areas in the country.  The area our club is supposed to champion. Is it any surprise to people why this is grating?

I've always known there has been some club stooges on here but *** hell. Some people are ridiculous.

That's the point right there in bold. 

It's funny how football is only a business when it's the fans getting squeezed in some way.  In all other circumstances the idea that it's a business and must be run as such seems to be ignored.  Clubs prey on fans devotion one minute and then treat them like bog standard customers the next.  Huge sums of money will be wasted in other areas and nobody will bat an eyelid.

At the end of the day it just feels a bit slimy to talk about how the area needed promotion and how the people of teesside struggle and mfc is a family club and then raise the price by 170 odd quid.

Doesn't sit right with me.

I know the main argument against is "well you should have booked when it was cheap" but that doesn't account for the tons of fans that couldn't for whatever reason.

I'm sure there are fans that were waiting to see what division we were in and that's bad luck to them, but there will be tons of genuine fans that had valid reasons to wait.

Agreed.

Wouldn't it of been great if they announced that they we're going to keep the price's at the same price as the EB because they wanted to fill the Riverside & give everyone a fair opportunity to attend games, But there will be an increase next year... Oh & for the ones who took the EB get free pint vouchers (If they didn't) or the first cup game at home free (Obviously if we do get a free home game.

What a buzz it would give everyone & we would sell many more tickets.. That's my opinion anyhow.

I've been thinking why have we put the prices up so much?. Obviously it's a financial decision but why make that financial decision now that we've hit the riches of the Premier League?. It's not going to make any sort of difference to strengthening the squad. Ticket sales are a massive source of revenue in the Championship but in the Premier League it's peanuts so the timing is bizarre. So thinking from another angle maybe Gibson, Bauser, Kenyon and co are trying to make the club look more of an attractive business proposition to a rich foreign buyer in the medium to long term?. As the one big business downside to our club is the poor revenue from match day tickets in comparison to other Premier League clubs so maybe they're trying to bring us a bit more in line with other clubs in terms of revenue. It's a bit of a weird theory.

I've been thinking why have we put the prices up so much?. Obviously it's a financial decision but why make that financial decision now that we've hit the riches of the Premier League?. It's not going to make any sort of difference to strengthening the squad. Ticket sales are a massive source of revenue in the Championship but in the Premier League it's peanuts so the timing is bizarre. So thinking from another angle maybe Gibson, Bauser, Kenyon and co are trying to make the club look more of an attractive business proposition to a rich foreign buyer in the medium to long term?. As the one big business downside to our club is the poor revenue from match day tickets in comparison to other Premier League clubs so maybe they're trying to bring us a bit more in line with other clubs in terms of revenue. It's a bit of a weird theory.

Boro supporters have a connection to the town, we are not a global brand. The likes of Man Utd, Chelsea ***nal etc have supporters all over the country.  These teams can charge what they like and fans will pay.

As you say in your post the revenue generated is peanuts for the club but for the average fan it's a huge outlay.

Personally I don't have a problem with the hike although I'm not overly impacted as I tend to only attend away games (that could change this season)

I have just had an email regarding finance options - even with this option does this rule people out still?? Would probably only be an extra £20 a month

The substantial price rise comes comes across as "out of touch" with the average supporter, especially with so many redundancies in the area following a tough year for the area. We even had the ex SSI workers walking around the pitch before a game to show the clubs support for them, so this price rise goes against the notion that we're a community club that is supportive of those out of work. There's some strange reason behind the decision.

I think i'll buy mine and my brother's tomorrow if there's any good seats available otherwise i'll wait until the Save Your Seat Deadline has passed.

I think i'll buy mine and my brother's tomorrow if there's any good seats available otherwise i'll wait until the Save Your Seat Deadline has passed.

Think the club said that 90% of existing season ticket holders had renewed so there will be the odd seat available, will have to be quick though

I'm still quite angry with the new pricing. When the steel crisis hit Teesside last year Steve Gibson came out in support of the steelworkers, how it was going to badly hurt Teessider's then he comes out with this masterstroke. Very disappointing Steve!