• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/player-narrows-transfer-choice-down-to-middlesbrough-or-another-c

Never take Bernardo Espinoza to a fancy ice cream parlour and ask him what flavour he wants, you'd have a very long wait. The Colombian central defender was all set to join Bournemouth and then changed his mind, thinking a stay at Sporting Gijon, where his contract is expiring, would be better.

Then came second thoughts about Bournemouth, then came an idea to join Watford, and somewhere along the line, Middlesbrough got involved in the transfer situation.

Now, Bernardo, as the Spanish press refer to him, has narrowed his choice down to 2 destinations: Middlesbrough or Sporting.

The financial offer from Middlesbrough is said to be good, but heavily waited towards not being injured and actually playing games of football. Bernardo has suffered from injury issues recently and if that situation continues then what Sporting have offered could be better, if he can stay fit then he'd earn far more at Middlesbrough.

On this final point, Bernardo can be forgiven for taking his time... it's a difficult situation. He's recently come back from a serious injury and may well be worried there'll be further complications over the next year.

Hard life choices... like mint choc-chip or madagascan vanilla?

I like both mint choc chip and madagascan vanilla, so given the choice, its not as easy as some might think.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/player-narrows-transfer-choice-down-to-middlesbrough-or-another-c

Never take Bernardo Espinoza to a fancy ice cream parlour and ask him what flavour he wants, you'd have a very long wait. The Colombian central defender was all set to join Bournemouth and then changed his mind, thinking a stay at Sporting Gijon, where his contract is expiring, would be better.

Then came second thoughts about Bournemouth, then came an idea to join Watford, and somewhere along the line, Middlesbrough got involved in the transfer situation.

Now, Bernardo, as the Spanish press refer to him, has narrowed his choice down to 2 destinations: Middlesbrough or Sporting.

The financial offer from Middlesbrough is said to be good, but heavily waited towards not being injured and actually playing games of football. Bernardo has suffered from injury issues recently and if that situation continues then what Sporting have offered could be better, if he can stay fit then he'd earn far more at Middlesbrough.

On this final point, Bernardo can be forgiven for taking his time... it's a difficult situation. He's recently come back from a serious injury and may well be worried there'll be further complications over the next year.

I like both mint choc chip and madagascan vanilla, so given the choice, its not as easy as some might think.

Since it's been brought up, personally I think you'd have to go a long way to find a nicer ice cream than Haagen Dazs salted caramel. It's bloody delicious. A rip off mind you, so I only occasionally buy when it's sometimes half price.

Downing is just a player that tries to keep the ball moving, he seems to be a player who is halfway between a cm and number 10.

Who knows with more intelligent players making better runs around him he could have been far more effective. I just think in our system he is a bit of a luxury player, not influential enough for number 10 or strong enough for cm.

Madagascan vanilla all day long for me!

I've defended Downing a lot this year but even I have to say in the run-in, he wasn't spectacular.

He hasn't had a God awful season, I just think there was a lot of hype and some are disappointed he didn't tear this league to shreds because of the experience he had. He was unlike Ramirez though, he doesn't have the pace he used to have quite clearly and he's never been a player who has skill with the ball at his feet to rip defences apart with stepovers and whatnot. Even when he was quick, that was all he had when it came to beating defenders.

His strength is his passing and vision and to be fair to him, the stats still back him up as being our most creative player in those terms when you take the whole season into account. He had the most key passes in our team with 74, 10 ahead of his closest competitor, joint 2nd most assists alongside Adomah (2 behind Nugent who had 7). Of course, when you've clocked up the 3rd most minutes on the pitch in the team behind Dimi and Clayton, that's much easier to achieve.

But even the per 90 minute stats show him to have been just as influential. Ramirez to no surprise wins out there by far with 2.7 key passes per 90 minutes but Downing finished 2nd with 1.9, having played nearly 3 times as many minutes as Ramirez.

I genuinely think that Downing is winding down. As a mate pointed out to me, why would you voluntarily drop down a division if you were still hungry for it. I suggested that maybe Downing fancied being a home town hero... but he was having none of it. He pointed out that Downing looked somewhat fatter, unfitter, slower, and generally less motivated than when he'd played in the PL. It was hard to argue with that.

Maybe Downing will be totally amazing next season instead.

"Should we sell Downing?"

No of course not. Why would we sell one of our most talented and proven premier league quality footballers?

The second assertion we can't argue with. But the first, i'll counter with - Fabio Rochemback was one of our most talented footballers during his time at the club; he wasn't the nucleus of the side or infallible in any way.

Not that I'm saying is sell Downing; unless a daft bid came in from the States or China. But I don't think that talent always means that a player is in the right place at the right time, or surrounded by the right people for them to thrive.

Just seen the Denmark game, I reckon Fischer will be our new number 10 looking at that display and with Downing also wanting that position I think a new LW will be a main priority now

To give Downing the benefit of the doubt. Its not always easy for Premiership players to adjust to playing in the more physical Championship. Lets face it he's always been a powder puff. As one poster correctly put it in my view, He did not always have options and outlets for his distribution. Kike and Nugent where by no means Premiership quality strikers and Rhodes god bless him needs the ball at his feet with at least a yard of space.

Just seen the Denmark game, I reckon Fischer will be our new number 10 looking at that display and with Downing also wanting that position I think a new LW will be a main priority now

And this is where Rafa Silva comes in. It leaves us looking short on the right though, atm we've only got Adomah and that's it.

And this is where Rafa Silva comes in. It leaves us looking short on the right though, atm we've only got Adomah and that's it.

we have Stuani aswell....and yes Carayol too......

BTW I'm gutted about Fischer's hair cut.

That was one luxurious head of hair

He said his hair felt heavy and made him feel slow. That's the spirit lad.