oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

True, looking at it as it is we would struggle to make the top 2 in the championship. In my opinion we need at least 4 players better than the players we already have. Lets face it, we didn't walk the championship with these players we just to say scraped through. Some on here are saying we need to come down to earth a bit because the players mentioned are to good for us. I say we have to aim high, ridiculous or not, you don't get unless you try.

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. We've just made the top 2 in the championship with the same squad and if you factor out Karankagate and a few games where we should've won (Rotherham, etc) we would've been up at a canter.

What do you mean games we should have won, Hull and Brighton could say the same, if they had won games they should have won they would have gone up automatic and not us, we didn't and they didn't either. Look at your own comment 1st before slagging others it doesn't hold water.

Completely holds water. Burnley were outplayed and out classed for many a match, particularly towards the end of the season. I watched quite a few of their matches and was staggered by the number of shots hitting the post and towards goal but credit to them, they ground out the wins. With Boro, we had the opposite issue of pounding teams but not hitting the back of the net. Regardless of whether you agree with me or not...we came in the top 2 with this team and that's a fact which can't be argued with.

We went up on merit top 2, but to say if we won games we should've won we'd have coasted it doesn't hold water, we didn't win them and that's the fact,QPR could say they were unlucky not to win at the Riverside and had a good goal disallowed at Loftus road, Burnley can say they had a good goal disallowed at Brighton, we had  goals that should have stood at Leeds & Birmingham.

Its like saying if Spurs had won a few more games they'd be champions instead of Leicester so no it doesn't hold water.

We went up top 2 on merit we weren't good enough to win the league in a canter and that's not opinion.

We are both dealing in opinions here. I have a statistical model on my PC which I could adapt for all teams (not used for football but would give an idea) that would likely show that Boro fairs worse of the other teams in this scenario but frankly I can't be bothered and my ego can handle you don't agree. Fair enough.

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Honestly dont see Sunderland being in a relegation battle next season. A full preseason and summer transfer window with big Sam will see them safe.

This.

What an absolutely ridiculous comment. We've just made the top 2 in the championship with the same squad and if you factor out Karankagate and a few games where we should've won (Rotherham, etc) we would've been up at a canter.

What do you mean games we should have won, Hull and Brighton could say the same, if they had won games they should have won they would have gone up automatic and not us, we didn't and they didn't either. Look at your own comment 1st before slagging others it doesn't hold water.

Completely holds water. Burnley were outplayed and out classed for many a match, particularly towards the end of the season. I watched quite a few of their matches and was staggered by the number of shots hitting the post and towards goal but credit to them, they ground out the wins. With Boro, we had the opposite issue of pounding teams but not hitting the back of the net. Regardless of whether you agree with me or not...we came in the top 2 with this team and that's a fact which can't be argued with.

We went up on merit top 2, but to say if we won games we should've won we'd have coasted it doesn't hold water, we didn't win them and that's the fact,QPR could say they were unlucky not to win at the Riverside and had a good goal disallowed at Loftus road, Burnley can say they had a good goal disallowed at Brighton, we had  goals that should have stood at Leeds & Birmingham.

Its like saying if Spurs had won a few more games they'd be champions instead of Leicester so no it doesn't hold water.

We went up top 2 on merit we weren't good enough to win the league in a canter and that's not opinion.

We are both dealing in opinions here. I have a statistical model on my PC which I could adapt for all teams (not used for football but would give an idea)  that would likely show that Boro fairs worse of the other teams in this scenario but frankly I can't be bothered and my ego can handle you don't agree. Fair enough.

Fact is the games you thought we should have won we didn't end of.

I'm a little concerned that Ayala has still not signed a contract, was said to be in discussions afew weeks ago

I must admit I'm slightly worried as well, we've seen over the last two seasons how important he is to us. Our record with both him and Gibbo in the team is very good. I'll go as far as saying if the Ayala and Gibbo partnership continues to grow next season we will stay up.

Well we didn't coast to promotion but we did deserve it. I think people need to consider that we finished behind Burnley and I bet most people on here would have them as favourites to go down so that should tell us all where we stand at this moment in time. Where we'll stand at the end of August we'll have to wait and see. But right now our squad is one of the three worst in the Premier League.

Completely agree.

If we were still in the championship with this squad there would still be improvement needed to get promotion, our options out wide aren't enough, options at #10 are none existant (downing is not a number 10 so don't even go there) and we have only 2 strikers and 1 rb.

Wether people like to admit it or not we have a lot of improving to do to get our squad up to premiership quality.

We didn't coast promotion but at the same time there was 3 teams going to the wire so it's also a case of was the challenge for promotion more difficult last season.

Burnley's style of football is what I think most people get at when they say that they think we are a better team or that they are favourites to go down which don't get me wrong I was never impressed by Burnleys style of play not once when I watched them did they have me thinking their good to watch. But reality is they were a good team and good at what they did. The finished 4 points above us with a far better goals for and a tad worse goals against record so to say we were a better team is hard to define, did we play better football I would say yes most of the time I thought we were pretty entertaining the good and the bad it's been one of the most enjoyable seasons I've seen for a long time as a Boro fan I think people forget the Southgare era and the whole of our time in the championship. But better football doesn't always equate to more success some teams are better at being less attractive and more efficient. Will what Burnley did serve them well in the Prem I doubt it same as I doubt our way both will have to improve and adapt to survive without a doubt.

Are Burnley stronger, well they've already lost Barton who was one of their star performers in gaining promotion and many would of deemed him not good enough. So does this make them weaker now?

Our hindrance is also like many promoted teams before us is that we have many untested prem players I agree with that and we definitely need to improve without a doubt our sqaud as a whole is not good enough. But it's also a strength of ours because who's to say that they can't jump up to that level who knows for sure we can't compete? Because way I see it during the games in the cups and I know it's different raising your game for one big occasion but I seen good preformances from many of our untested players also many of our players have already made jumps Albert was a league one player he made the jump and in time improved Gibson was a loanee at lower league teams and made the jump same as Rhodes so these players have proved they can go up a level.

Burnley and Hull have a lot of players with prem experience but they got them relegated, don't get me wrong they have ex prem players who would clearly be a step up from what we have, Heaton and Huddlestone are 2 that would easily make it in our team but that doesn't mean they would be the right fit or gaurentee survival.

Some of the players we have been linked with or people have mentioned are really bad and wouldn't improve us at all, Cattermole for example would be a bad signing not only for footballing reasons but for the club, while Gibson may regret the decision it was the right one. Sunderland fans don't rate him, of course there will be the ones that do just like us with downing, there local paper is a lover of his but the ones I work with say it's the club trying to push it to the fans. They admitted that he was one of the better players in the last games of the season but they have said he's done this for 3 seasons in a row now not turned up until it's almost to late in fact last season the ones at work were almost pinning the blame on him. At work they've all said they would sell him a few said not for that price but they know to improve they can't have people like him in the team. They all love his willing to tackle and he's not scared to get stuck in we all know this anyway is his best trait but they all said he's not a footballer.

About the news signing I've seen some statements over the last few weeks and days that has made me chuckle. Am I excited by them hell yeah for all I know we could have the next superstar on our hands how many of you knew Kante was going to be as good or that Marhez was or that Vardy would be so good, Kane, Delefeou, Dele Alli, Rashford many more who were relatively unknown who could of said these are definitely going to work it's always a gamble to sign anyone so yeah I'm looking forward to seeing the new boys as well as some of our current sqaud but I also ain't that blind to not realise that we need more, more qaulity it's as simple as that wether that's from experience or skill or just overall better footballers we need to improve that current sqaud and that does mean getting rid of some because some are simply not going to be good enough some of them I haven't seen enough qaulity in the championship so I wouldn't be keen on having them in the prem.

I think the game that highlighted the gulf in class was the cup game against Everton bearing in mind they've have had a poor season.

Having said that I think Karanka will bring the right quality of players in I think we'll do alright.

I read that Hull are set to bid £7mill for Robbie Brady, left footer only 24years old, is he good enough to do a job here.

Didn't Norwich buy him off Hull 12 months ago for a similar price?!

Honestly dont see Sunderland being in a relegation battle next season. A full preseason and summer transfer window with big Sam will see them safe.

This.

Seconded. They'll be fine next season. Our main rivals for the drop will be Burnley, Hull, West Brom, Palace, and one surprise team (Leicester? ;) )