oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

I don't think AK is too impressed with Rhodes, I questioned whether Rhodes would be at the club this season and was shot down as if I was some sort of heretic. I'm glad the voice of reason shares similar views, maybe I'm not a lunatic after all.

You are a lunatic ;)

I did remember this debate though, and you were indeed chastised for your views. But you were also stoking the flames saying that Rhodes wasn't pulling his weight in training and this led to the infamous revolt, a rumour that I haven't heard confirmed by anyone other than your good self Billy.

I do agree with both you and CT, that Rhodes might not have been a Karanka signing. Although if this was truly the case, I doubt Rhodes would have started all our games towards the end of last season (except the Brighton game). If Karanka didn't rate him, and let's face it probably knew he might have been out of a job if we didn't get promoted, why wouldn't he started Nugent in all them games?

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's an interesting discussion. How many on here would be happy if we started next season with Rhodes and Nugent as our up front options? I think the majority would say it needs strengthening. And if we strengthen, do we buy someone we expect to start? Or someone to provide Rhodes with competition. The calibre of who (if) we bring in, will soon tell us if AK thinks Rhodes good enough to lead our line or not.

If Rhodes and Nugent were our 2 striking options I think we're in bother, you can't fault Nugent's commitment but I think he just falls short of PL class so we bring someone in to provide Rhodes with competition.

We know Karanka's system  if it works all well and good but what happens if he finds it isn't working and needs to change it, then we may need 2 strikers.

dzeko fits our formation pretty well imo

Big tall striker

good on the ball

has good shooting in and outside the box

is good in the air

holds the ball up well

The only negative i can think of is work ethic in pressing the back line.

You can justify the sale of any member of this squad with one reason or another. Even when you look at players like Clayton and Ayala, if a big bid came in for one of them, their heads could be turned or we could just see this as a perfect time to make money on them. Sale would then be justified. By that manner, that's not a shock to any football fan, that's just football being football.

But there would still be a shock because they are important players, it would be a shock that we would decide to get rid of players we trust. With Rhodes it is different, he's not established himself as a player who can't be dropped. But it would shock me that we would accept any loss on Rhodes so early into his Middlesbrough career, and the papers appear to say the fee is about £10m, don't they? Why on Earth would we sell for that much for a start? That would be a huge shock. He's seen as a player who can, in the right set-up (usually alongside another striker), score tons of goals for anyone. We could still at the very least get teams to match what we paid for him, if not ask for more.

Then you have to think, how often do clubs invest such a large amount of money, almost beating our transfer record, a real marquee signing, so soon look to get shot of the player? Really not very often unless they have clearly been utter dross. Certainly January signings, it's quite often accepted that players who come in in January aren't necessarily going to be judged on what they do in the first few months. You certainly wouldn't have blamed Jermain Defoe had Sunderland been relegated in 14/15. So should we have blamed Rhodes had we not got promoted? I don't personally think so, I think there was more pressing issues as to why we nearly missed out.

For me, it would be a shock to see Rhodes leave. If Karanka doesn't like him as a player, by all means, that's not shocking to see a player leave. Indeed, he doesn't seem like someone to keep a player around if he doesn't like him. But we're absolutely not in the position to say if that is true or not. Everything AK has said publicly has been in support of Rhodes. You might say that's not to be taken as gospel but that's everything there is to go on.

Regardless of the fact he was dropped for the final game (certainly seemed at the time to be tactical), he has started him pretty much every game in the run in. Would he have done that if he had problems with him? I don't think so, he certainly seems to trust Nugent so you'd think he'd have just put Rhodes on the bench.

So give Rhodes a chance but lets spend £11m on Dzeko?  :)

So just stick with one striker this season then if he gets injured that's life, some teams actually do play 2 strikers.

But we don't and if we spent £11m on Dzeko it wouldn't be to have him sit on our bench now would it.

I'm sure Rhodes cost around 11 mill in the end so an 11 mill player would sit on the bench yes

You can justify the sale of any member of this squad with one reason or another. Even when you look at players like Clayton and Ayala, if a big bid came in for one of them, their heads could be turned or we could just see this as a perfect time to make money on them. Sale would then be justified. By that manner, that's not a shock to any football fan, that's just football being football.

But there would still be a shock because they are important players, it would be a shock that we would decide to get rid of players we trust. With Rhodes it is different, he's not established himself as a player who can't be dropped. But it would shock me that we would accept any loss on Rhodes so early into his Middlesbrough career, and the papers appear to say the fee is about £10m, don't they? Why on Earth would we sell for that much for a start? That would be a huge shock. He's seen as a player who can, in the right set-up (usually alongside another striker), score tons of goals for anyone. We could still at the very least get teams to match what we paid for him, if not ask for more.

Then you have to think, how often do clubs invest such a large amount of money, almost beating our transfer record, a real marquee signing, so soon look to get shot of the player? Really not very often unless they have clearly been utter dross. Certainly January signings, it's quite often accepted that players who come in in January aren't necessarily going to be judged on what they do in the first few months. You certainly wouldn't have blamed Jermain Defoe had Sunderland been relegated in 14/15. So should we have blamed Rhodes had we not got promoted? I don't personally think so, I think there was more pressing issues as to why we nearly missed out.

For me, it would be a shock to see Rhodes leave. If Karanka doesn't like him as a player, by all means, that's not shocking to see a player leave. Indeed, he doesn't seem like someone to keep a player around if he doesn't like him. But we're absolutely not in the position to say if that is true or not. Everything AK has said publicly has been in support of Rhodes. You might say that's not to be taken as gospel but that's everything there is to go on.

Regardless of the fact he was dropped for the final game (certainly seemed at the time to be tactical), he has started him pretty much every game in the run in. Would he have done that if he had problems with him? I don't think so, he certainly seems to trust Nugent so you'd think he'd have just put Rhodes on the bench.

100% agree and the problem is if Rhodes did go we need 2 strikers one to replace him and one to strengthen the squad. If you look at what happened to Bournemouth last season Callum Wilson started like a house on fire then a bad injury put paid to most of his season and left them short up front we can't afford to be in the same situation that's why we need the two. So getting rid of Rhodes is a no go for me.

I don't think AK is too impressed with Rhodes, I questioned whether Rhodes would be at the club this season and was shot down as if I was some sort of heretic. I'm glad the voice of reason shares similar views, maybe I'm not a lunatic after all.

That's not why you were shot down and you know it.

It sounds like you're trying to shoot him down again, you bully :)

It sounds like you're trying to shoot him down again, you bully :)

The revisionist history that goes on around here is BS at times. Winds me right up.

Sorry, better stop before RandySandwich accuses me of something again.

I've removed a few bits to just focus on these parts.  

If you view the purchase of Rhodes as an X million pound investment to get us into the Premier League then even selling him at a loss would still mean the investment had paid off because we're there.  So a hypothetical £3m or £4m loss measured against a minium of £170m of increased revenue maybe isn't such a big deal.

I disagree about him scoring goals for anyone but that's just my opinion.  I think in the right set up for him he can score a lot of goals at a certain level.  We don't know if he can do that at the highest level yet and we don't know if he can do it when the set up isn't ideal for him.

I don't think he 'trusts' Nugent especially either, which is why we signed Rhodes in the first place and why before that we had him in and out of the side along with Kike.  That doesn't suggest to me a great deal of trust in that sense.  I suspect he trusts that Nugent will do the things that Nugent does each game but if Karanka is looking for more than that - a steady supply of goals - then I imagine he'll be look elsewhere.  

What 2plus2 says above makes a lot of sense to me that we'd buy a striker that will replace Rhodes over time unless he is doing well.  I just wouldn't rule out us selling him that's all.

So give Rhodes a chance but lets spend £11m on Dzeko?  :)

So just stick with one striker this season then if he gets injured that's life, some teams actually do play 2 strikers.

But we don't and if we spent £11m on Dzeko it wouldn't be to have him sit on our bench now would it.

I'm sure Rhodes cost around 11 mill in the end so an 11 mill player would sit on the bench yes

I never said otherwise but it wouldn't be Dzeko, it would be Rhodes, which is what I said.  My point to Rioch was that in one post he was saying we had to give Rhodes a chance and in the very next post he wants to sign another striker who will replace him.  You'll have to try harder rich  :rolleyes:

Any chance of starting a Jordan Rhodes thread? Don't see what all this has to do with transfer rumours or stories

It's been suggested in a newspaper that we might be looking to sell him.  I'd say that's exactly what this thread is mean to be about.  It's the only reason people are discussing it at all.

Oh but I was.

My initial comment was, "I'd be surprised if Rhodes was still at the club next season".

I was shot down for that comment and felt I had to expand on it, to justify it. I then got even more flak.

I then tempered my view slightly, because I was upsetting people and I became suspicious of the validity of my "source" I apollogised for bad mouthing Rhodes.

However the fact that I said that I'd be surprised if Rhodes was still with us got me the initial aggro and accusations of winding everyone up.

I don't think AK is too impressed with Rhodes, I questioned whether Rhodes would be at the club this season and was shot down as if I was some sort of heretic.  I'm glad the voice of reason shares similar views, maybe I'm not a lunatic after all.

Oh but I was.

My initial comment was, "I'd be surprised if Rhodes was still at the club next season".

I was shot down for that comment and felt I had to expand on it, to justify it. I then got even more flak.

I then tempered my view slightly, because I was upsetting people and I became suspicious of the validity of my "source" I apollogised for bad mouthing Rhodes.

However the fact that I said that I'd be surprised if Rhodes was still with us got me the initial aggro and accusations of winding everyone up.

Your comments were, in order:

I think Rhodes will be gone this summer.

Let's just see shall we?

Just a few things that I've heard, maybe just rumours, who knows?

I'm pretty certain that AK is looking for a new striker though.

I'm pretty certain that we are looking to replace him with a better striker, have you head otherwise?

All I would say, is don't get a shirt with Rhodes name on the back.

I'm not sure of the current thinking, but certainly back in April, AK was less than impressed with Rhodes. Morale in the dressing room had been greatly affected by Rhodes attitude and he wasn't impressing in training. From what I heard he was at the centre of the bust up. 

Things might have changed, that may have all kissed and made up, but even if he stays, he won't be our main striker next season.

You didn't start getting any flak until the last 2 comments. Previously to that people were having a genuine discussion about the merits of Rhodes up top in the PL.

After that people started telling you how uncharacteristic that would be for Rhodes & you started getting a bit of flak for slowly twisting your story post to post.

Then after a certain amount of time you actually changed your mind entirely, decided your "source" was winding you up and did apologise for your viewpoint. 

But you categorically didn't get grief for simply stating "I'd be surprised if Rhodes was still at the club next season".