oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

Thought I'd clear a few things up about thrombosis as I work in medicine.

He's had a venous clot, like a DVT in the leg but in his arm. The treatment for this is blood thinners for 3 months, this is why he could only take part in light training as he would be at a higher risk of bleeding. This allows the body to dissolve the clot by itself while preventing further new clot forming. Only in cases where people are extremely unstable are they given clot-dissolving medication (thrombolysis) or surgery to remove the clot (thrombectomy).

It would be very uncommon for this to cause a stroke, heart attack, or cardiac thrombosis as these are all examples of arterial clots. Venous clots will get stuck in the lung (pulmonary embolism) before they can reach the arterial circulation, unless there's an underlying structural defect in the heart such as a hole between two of the chambers (uncommon). This should have been picked up in previous medicals if it were to be the case.

In the majority of cases, particularly in younger people, no cause is found for these clots, but, everyone is tested for underlying clotting disorders that may predispose them to further thrombosis. If he has another clot then he would need lifelong anticoagulation, this would be career-ending as you cannot take part in contact sport due to the bleeding risk.

The risk of him having another clot in the future is about 10%.

I can see why issues surrounding the thrombosis may affect the structure of the deal and I can also see scenarios where it could end his career but the 18 months thing doesn't quite fit in my mind. I don't think it's the clot holding things up.

Hope that clears it up a bit.

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So is Subotic off? dortmund and his agent denied he failed his medical

No one knows for sure outside of Subotic and the club

Not sure you can read too much into those quotes from BVB and his agent. They wont come out and say he has failed a medical because it then becomes really difficult to get him another club that isn't us.

Big shame but on to the next target, still think another centre back will come in and at least we now, I'm sure the club won't have stopped working on alternative targets and we will see more movement sooner than later.

Someone's suggested on the other forum Demichelis is on his way to Marbs.

No no no and no. NO.

Please no :(

Id rather rely on Baptiste.

"The Clot Thickens..." is the best pun yet tbh. Excellent.

Better than the one where they couldn't spell Negredo...

Close shave with Subotic there, looks like I was wrong about theinsider, I doff my hat to you good sir!

"Neven Subotic will not be on the move this summer as Borussia Dortmund have revealed he needs surgery on a rib injury.

Middlesbrough had agreed a fee of around £8m with the Bundesliga side, and the Serbia international visited the north Yorkshire club's facilities earlier this month.

However, the deal broke down and Dortmund have said in a statement that Subotic could now miss the rest of the year."

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre