oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

That flick up free kick.....

*orgasm*

:D

It was number 2 that got me. Turning round to take a long ball on the volley with an overhead kick?! Christ...

What I love about Negredo is that, perhaps unlike our other signings, coming to a team like ours he doesn't actually have to replicate the crazy form he had at Sevilla and Man. City. If he comes 80% as good as he was for them, he will be fantastic for us. He seems hungry for it. If Defoe can come from the MLS to Sunderland and be a success, then by God Negredo can come from Valencia here and be a success.

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Karanka's 80/90% comment needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. He needs the current squad to feel important, and it would be beneficial for us in the transfer market if other clubs don't think that we're still looking for loads of signings in a hurry. When we have outgoings it'll create squad space and we'll sign better options. Lurker's posts about signings/budget seems to be what I think we'll do.

Anyone who wasn't sure about Negredo before should be well and truly convinced after watching that. My God that fella can finish. Some of those are insane. Class we've not seen at the Riverside for years. Very very well played Mr Gibson.

He'll be a hit this season. I've no doubt.

A bit of a summary to get my head around what our starting 11 will be:

GK: Valdes will surely start as the number 1. Dimi or Guzan will be good back-up.

RB: Barrigan seems to be a more natural fit than Nsue so will most likely be ahead of him.

CB: Karanka clearly wants a more senior CB, probably to partner one of Ayala or Gibson. Ayala is the better defender but his friction with Karanka over last season might push Gibson ahead of him. If the other CB that we're trying to sign is right footed then it will probably increase the chance that Gibson will partner him as him being left footed gives us a good balance. I don't think Espinosa will start just yet.

LB: Friend is clearly going to start the season as our first choice. Defensively he's brilliant and I have no doubts about that side of things, but I have more question marks than most over his ability to make the step up. His close control and passing worries me as I fear that it could be exploited if he tries to play football in dangerous defensive areas as technically he isn't great technically. Hopefully Karanka drills into him the need not to try to take them sort of risks in the Premier League. We need to sign a good back-up option to keep Friend on his toes.

CM: De Roon and Clayton will most likely be the starting choices. Leadbitter will be injured at the start of the season so he won't give them immediate competition. De Sart sounds like he's developing well and could become an important player in time. We have a good amount of strength in depth here, particularly with the first 3 options.

RW: No idea what will happen there as neither of Adomah or Stuani fills me with confidence. I think we'll be targeting a better option before the season starts.

#10: Ramirez will be nailed on to start there.

LW: I think Karanka will be pretty content with his options of Downing and Fischer, so whichever one of them has the best pre-season will start against Stoke.

ST: Negredo is head and shoulders above any of our other striking options. Nugent will surely be sold, and Rhodes may be moved on if we receive a large offer as every player has their price, especially if they aren't first choice like he isn't going to be.

A bit of a summary to get my head around what our starting 11 will be::

GK: Valdes will surely start as the number 1. Dimi or Guzan will be good back-up.

RB: Barrigan seems to be a more natural fit than Nsue so will most likely be ahead of him.

CB: Karanka clearly wants a more senior CB, probably to partner one of Ayala or Gibson. Ayala is the better defender but his friction with Karanka over last season might push Gibson ahead of him. If the other CB that we're trying to sign is right footed then it will probably increase the chance that Gibson will partner him as him being left footed gives us a good balance. I don't think Espinosa will start just yet.

LB: Friend is clearly going to start the season as our first choice. Defensively he's brilliant and I have no doubts about that side of things, but I have more question marks than most over his ability to make the step up. His close control and passing worries me as I fear that it could be exploited if he tries to play football in dangerous defensive areas as technically he isn't great technically. Hopefully Karanka drills into him the need not to try to take them sort of risks in the Premier League. We need to sign a good back-up option to keep Friend on his toes.

CM: De Roon and Clayton will most likely be the starting choices. Leadbitter will be injured at the start of the season so he won't give them immediate competition. De Sart sounds like he's developing well and could become an important player in time. We have a good amount of strength in depth here, particularly with the first 3 options.

RW: No idea what will happen there as neither of Adomah or Stuani fills me with confidence. I think we'll be targeting a better option before the season starts.

#10: Ramirez will be nailed on to start there.

LW: I think Karanka will be pretty content with his options of Downing and Fischer, so whichever one of them has the best pre-season will start against Stoke.

ST: Negredo is head and shoulders above any of our other striking options. Nugent will surely be sold, and Rhodes may be moved on if we receive a large offer as every player has their price, especially if they aren't first choice like he isn't going to be.

Nugent and Rhodes to move on, are you being serious? I can understand Nugent moving on but why Rhodes? We'll be left with 1 striker. He's one of the most prolific strikers in the country there's no reason why he can't compete with Negredo for a place in the team.

Each to their own but I still don't understand how anyone believes Rhodes will be moved on. He's already got 3 in pre-season so far. He's definitely the best forward we've had in the Championship and plenty of clubs were keeping an eye on him from where we are now. I can't see how the money we spent didn't have some thought of the PL in mind. We would have to replace him if he went and I don't see the need to even consider that.

Negredo is a good signing for a team like us and is more than likely seen as our #1 striker. But if he drops off for whatever reason, Rhodes is a pretty bloody good option to bring in.

Karanka didn't seem convinced by Rhodes in the Championship, with Nugent seeming to start most games, and now that Negredo is here it's looking very likely that Rhodes will be a bench player at best. We seem to be looking far and wide at strikers from top European leagues so I think Karanka would much prefer one from there instead of Rhodes. If a Championship club came offering us what we payed for him, and we had a better striking option lined up like Aboubakar or Babacar, I think we'd be very open to sell him. I think we need a different mix of strikers next season, particularly a pacey striker who can run in behind defences, a completely different style to what Negredo gives us, so will be able to unsettle teams from the bench if one style isn't working.

Speaking to my friend who is a City fan he was a big fan of Negredo although one thing he did say was he was much better when with a strike partner more often than not Aguero. Its also interesting that Blackburn fans said Rhodes played better with a big target man next to him usually Gestede. Obviously its unlikely that we will ever play 2 up front but they could really work well together.

I see absolutely no evidence that we will change system from 4-2-3-1 under Karanka, unless we're really desperate. His entire system and everything they work on in training is all about that. We may go two up top in desperation at the end of games we're losing. (I actually wouldn't mind us swapping out De Roon or Clayton for another striker to go for a high risk/reward approach in a wide 4-1-2-1-2, when needed.)

Karanka didn't seem convinced by Rhodes in the Championship, with Nugent seeming to start most games, and now that Negredo is here it's looking very likely that Rhodes will be a bench player at best.  We seem to be looking far and wide at strikers from top European leagues so I think Karanka would much prefer one from there instead of Rhodes. If a Championship club came offering us what we payed for him, and we had a better striking option lined up like Aboubakar or Babacar, I think we'd be very open to sell him. I think we need a different mix of strikers next season, particularly a pacey striker who can run in behind defences, a completely different style to what Negredo gives us, so will be able to unsettle teams from the bench if one style isn't working.

Absolute nonsense. We played 19 Championship games after Rhodes signed. He started 13 of them. Nugent started 7. Where do people get this stuff from?