oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

I think if Gaston got injured, Downing would probably get a couple of games in there to see what it was like, if it didnt work we'd go 4-4-2 IMO, that's probably why he tried it out through pre-season, knowing we wouldn't be targetting another natural no.10. It would cost a fair chunk for a decent one and that would mean him or Gaston spending large portions of the season benched.

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would be good to get a right-winger that can play the number 10 role well - someone in the Downing mould but with a bit more impetus and a better eye for goal. Might help cover for that potential Ramirez injury. Don't forget Fischer can do a job there too.

Fischer can pick a pass so could play as the no.10

He doesnt have half the workrate Gaston has so that is something that needs to improve. Putting him in Gastons place would mean we virtually play 4-4-2 as he doesn't really track back. I have doubts that he can tie the midfield together with attack the way Gaston can. Think we would be very direct with balls up to Negredo and then Fischer/Rhodes to try and feed off of that. Not that it can't work, but it's not the AK way.

I really don't think it's about the money, just about target availability, we'll spend as little or as much as we have to, to get our targets in (within what the club deems reasonable) but if our targets can't be bought we'll keep our money rather than buy a 'Mido'

I'd rather do any business now that we think we need to do than leave money aside incase we have to strengthen in January. If we need to spend a substantial amount of money in January it probably means we are in a lot of trouble.

Agreed Fischer could probably play the Gaston role if required. I thought he should have come on during the last game instead of Nugent.

Fischer can pick a pass so could play as the no.10

He doesnt have half the workrate Gaston has so that is something that needs to improve. Putting him in Gastons place would mean we virtually play 4-4-2 as he doesn't really track back. I have doubts that he can tie the midfield together with attack the way Gaston can. Think we would be very direct with balls up to Negredo and then Fischer/Rhodes to try and feed off of that. Not that it can't work, but it's not the AK way.

We used Negredo kind of like that on Saturday, picking him out straight from Valdes and the other defenders and it worked really well. Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest to see him used like that if we were chasing a game with Fischer/Ramirez feeding off him and the wingers staying high up the pitch in support.

I'd rather do any business now that we think we need to do than leave money aside incase we have to strengthen in January.  If we need to spend a substantial amount of money in January it probably means we are in a lot of trouble.

Agreed Fischer could probably play the Gaston role if required. I thought he should have come on during the last game instead of Nugent.

I do hope you were never one of those calling for us to play 4-4-2 last season. I haven't checked your posts but there are those who will. :D

I'd rather do any business now that we think we need to do than leave money aside incase we have to strengthen in January.  If we need to spend a substantial amount of money in January it probably means we are in a lot of trouble.

Naa, it'll mean we need that final piece of the puzzle for a Europa League place :P

I would sooner have a classy out and out right winger who can't defend but who has the ability to wreak havoc in the oppositions defence. Leave the defending to DM's and defenders that's what they're paid for.

That simply isn't going to happen.

I would sooner have a classy out and out right winger who can't defend but who has the ability to wreak havoc in the oppositions defence. Leave the defending to DM's and defenders that's what they're paid for.

That simply isn't going to happen.

Indeed. I don't like the idea of bringing in a winger who can only attack. We need the hard workers who can track back to maintain our strong defensive unit. That's Karanka's way and that's been successful enough so far with Championship level players. We're building ourselves up again with better players to play within this system so I'd rather stick with something we know works (or has worked in the past, rather).

But we defend as a team and that is how it's going to be for the foreseeable future. AK won't have passengers that doesn't put in a shift.

If your attacking creating chances scoring goals then your putting a shift in, I prefer a winger to be a winger some attacking players cause more harm than good. One of the best midfielders in this country in the last 20 years couldn't tackle for his life, that was Paul Scholes.