• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The staff rated him highly enough to spend £16m on him only two years ago. He's 21, how many top level defenders are playing at that level at 21. I'm sure (in fact I know because I've seen them saying it) if you ask ***nal fans they'd say that neither Holding or Chambers should be starting for them, they need to buy experience and develop these youngsters. Chambers has been handled poorly by Wenger in my opinion, he shouldn't have been thrust straight into the first team, having been thrust into the first team Wenger then should've shown a bit of faith rather than destroy his confidence by dropping him then shifting him from position to position.

And now he's behind a younger player they just signed for less, he was dropped after one game where they conceded 4 goals and he's being sent out on loan.  So how highly do the staff rate him now?  I don't know,  it could still be a lot but I'm not sure it's 100% clear?

If he hadn't cost £16m I think people would have a very different reaction to this signing.  I agree with you that he's been poorly handled though - I don't rate Wenger at all when it comes to developing players.  I just think that once again we're dismissing fans of other clubs that are telling us what a player is about.  Every time I can remember them doing it over the last couple of seasons they've been spot on with their assessments, either in terms of ability or the actual type of player that they've been.

I think he's probably a lad with potential and some ability that needs regular football to find out what he's really about and what level he's at.

Wenger has a long reputation for bringing in talented young players from home and abroad. The likes of Thierry Henry Cesc Fabregas, Nicklas Bendtner, Nicolas Anelka, Johan Djourou, Jermaine Pennant, Kieran Gibbs, Seb Larsson, Moritz Volz and Matthew Upson have all been brought in from other clubs at a young age and gone on to represent the first team

So ***ne Wenger was criticised for throwing Bellerin into the mix, rather than buying another full back, although such protests then become muted over time as the lad’s amazing development has shown what a talent we had.

when Ramsey was played out wide in order to help him develop his abilities, a certain section of ***nal supporters, watching his performances, deemed the player himself to be useless and the manager to be likewise incompetent.

But as we have subsequently seen, these teething problems face all young players as they make their way through the ranks. Indeed even Koscielny, who week after week, despite a niggling Achilles injury, now puts in brilliant performances,

***nal currently have a fair old smattering of players who have either come through the ranks from the youth teams, or been brought in young. We can think of Gibbs, Bellerin, Wilshere, Coquelin, the Ox, Ramsey, Walcott.

And there are more ready to join them including Martinez who played in a couple of European games this year, the defender Hayden, the brilliant Zelalem.

Well Ayala to be fair has made massive improvements here and I mean massive. The player he was before he joined and where he is now is worlds apart. Ramirez still has it to prove in the Premier League and whilst a number of people on here have already decided he's going to be fine, in reality it still remains to be seen so Southampton fans may yet be correct. The Valencia fans didn't rate Negredo because apparently he wasn't fit and didn't look that interested - two things that will *** of fans of any club especially when you've spent a lot of money on someone. Barragan is no more than what he is, which is an average at this level full back. Forshaw hasn't been rated by half the people on here until the last couple of weeks! I think for the most part their comments are understandable and in some cases fairly accurate when you sort out any associated bitterness etc.

I think fans generally have a sound idea of what their players are about. Some will be a bit more excitable than others and you need to make allowances for that of course. For some fans any player that leaves will always be rubbish - look at our own situation with Adomah and some of the comments on here as an example. Overall if there's a general consensus it tends to be fairly accurate in my opinion. Going back to Ayala their opinions weren't wrong, it's just that he improved a lot here. Calum Chambers being viewed as a liability by ***nal fans doesn't automatically mean he will be here because game time, coaching, maybe just a new environment, can all lead to improvements. Even a different system and style of play could help him - we are more defensive than ***nal for example.

Yeah, Ayala really wasn't much special when he first came here. Someone with a lot of potential so it now seems but he has to be one of, if not the most improved players under Aitor's management.

The one thing I'd say about your point on Gaston, CT, is that you're right in that he hasn't proved anything in the PL with us yet, but the Southampton and Hull fans (mainly Hull, to be fair), had a ver specific complaint - that he was lazy. And while he hasn't really stood out in the last couple of games, although he did play well against Stoke, I wouldn't say he's played a single game since January where he hasn't put in a very good shift.

The article does say we're looking for another winger regardless so that's promising

I would be happy if we signed a new winger and kept Adomah. I think he could be guilty of complacency and given prior to this season he was a definite starter. He needs that competition for me to improve his game and perhaps make him become a more efficient winger.

Wenger has a long reputation for bringing in talented young players from home and abroad. The likes of Thierry Henry Cesc Fabregas, Nicklas Bendtner, Nicolas Anelka, Johan Djourou, Jermaine Pennant, Kieran Gibbs, Seb Larsson, Moritz Volz and Matthew Upson have all been brought in from other clubs at a young age and gone on to represent the first team

***nal currently have a fair old smattering of players who have either come through the ranks from the youth teams, or been brought in young. We can think of Gibbs, Bellerin, Wilshere, Coquelin, the Ox, Ramsey, Walcott.

And there are more ready to join them including Martinez who played in a couple of European games this year, the defender Hayden, the brilliant Zelalem.

Half of those players aren't actually that good and almost all of them were bought from somewhere else so I'm not sure what your point is?  Of those that are very good, Henry had already moved for big money to Juventus before he joined ***nal - he wasn't some unproven youngster.  Fabregas was pretty much the highest rated talent in the Barca academy at the time that ***nal poached him. Look at how many of them still have clear weak areas in their games - Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain, Gibbs, Wilshere all plateaued I'd say.  I don't think any of them developed as well as they should/could have.

I'm not saying he doesn't sign young players, just the opposite as they've been quite happy to sign loads of them and some at very young ages.  I'm saying I don't think he develops them particularly well once they are there. There are some exceptions but most hit a particular level and stop.  Many don't seem to improve deficiencies in their games and I won't even get started on their injury records.

The one thing I'd say about your point on Gaston, CT, is that you're right in that he hasn't proved anything in the PL with us yet, but the Southampton and Hull fans (mainly Hull, to be fair), had a ver specific complaint - that he was lazy. And while he hasn't really stood out in the last couple of games, although he did play well against Stoke, I wouldn't say he's played a single game since January where he hasn't put in a very good shift.

I thought it was more about him being a bit unreliable than lazy?  It's actually possible he was for them though but isn't here maybe because he's happier here and has a point to prove now?

I thought it was more about him being a bit unreliable than lazy?  It's actually possible he was for them though but isn't here maybe because he's happier here and has a point to prove now?

Of course, that is possible. But all we can say is that he's so far been a better fit here than he has been elsewhere in England, and I hope Chambers proves those ***nal critics wrong in a similar way.

I've been pretty happy with Gaston so far in the Prem. MOTM performance against Stoke where he assisted Negredo's goal, hit the post twice and made a goal line clearence or two a***st other things. Against Sunderland he played a decent although not huge part in the second goal. Even though he did have a largely quiet game at West Brom yesterday I think at one point he made a good run between two of their defenders into the box and someone played a through ball to him and he was just about through on goal but there was no one to square it to and he scuffed his shot in the end as it was on his weaker right foot.

Even when he's not scoring or assisting goals he still plays a massive part in our team and we look so much better when he's on the pitch. He's the man who links up our midfield and our attack.

I've been pretty happy with Gaston so far in the Prem. MOTM performance against Stoke where he assisted Negredo's goal, hit the post twice and made a goal line clearence or two a***st other  things.  Against Sunderland he played a decent although not huge part in the second goal. Even though he did have a largely quiet game at West Brom yesterday I think at one point he made a good run and someone played a through ball to him and he was just about through on goal but there was no one to square it to and he scuffed his shot in the end as it was on his weaker right foot.

Even when he's not scoring or assisting goals he still plays a massive part in our team and we look so much better when he's on the pitch. He's the man who links our midfield and our attack.

Even against West Brom he was still making his own space by juggling the ball over peoples heads. He played the "pass of the match" down the channel for Negredo. He had the chance you mentioned that he sliced wide & he also made a great run and was found by Ayala but he was like a step in front of it and it came off his arm as he tried to bring it down. 

He was quiet, but quietly influential IMO. 

Even when he doesn't have the ball, defenders get pulled out of position trying to keep an eye on him because he literally turns up everywhere in that final third. 

He'll have better games for sure but I still think he was good.

I've been pretty happy with Gaston so far in the Prem. MOTM performance against Stoke where he assisted Negredo's goal, hit the post twice and made a goal line clearence or two a***st other  things.  Against Sunderland he played a decent although not huge part in the second goal. Even though he did have a largely quiet game at West Brom yesterday I think at one point he made a good run and someone played a through ball to him and he was just about through on goal but there was no one to square it to and he scuffed his shot in the end as it was on his weaker right foot.

Even when he's not scoring or assisting goals he still plays a massive part in our team and we look so much better when he's on the pitch. He's the man who links our midfield and our attack.

Even against West Brom he was still making his own space by juggling the ball over peoples heads. He played the "pass of the match" down the channel for Negredo. He had the chance you mentioned that he sliced wide & he also made a great run and was found by Ayala but he was like a step in front of it and it came off his arm as he tried to bring it down. 

He was quiet, but quietly influential IMO. 

Even when he doesn't have the ball, defenders get pulled out of position trying to keep an eye on him because he literally turns up everywhere in that final third. 

He'll have better games for sure but I still think he was good.

Considering him and Ayala were the only two who passed FORWARD with quality I don't see how people at the Gazette are raving about Downing's dropping deep display but said Gaston was ineffective. Downing dropping deep by the way is brilliant... If he's down on the team sheet as a CM that's perfect but he's supposed to be LW tidy passes backwards and sidewards don't really help out Gaston or Negredo.

I think Hull and Southampton fans main thing will be his injuries I imagine getting in a out and out 'winger' for us would be good and all but if we are going big on a winger I hope we get one that can cover Gaston's position as well just in case he gets an injury. Without Gaston I don't see how Negredo would get a sniff unless he drops deep and gets a square pass.