oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

How do people think we will do against the big teams this season? I think, as shown in the opening games, lesser teams will find us hard to break down, but will big teams be able to find a way through our solid defence? If they can, I worry we won't have the quality in attack to be able to knick a goal or two against top clubs, and getting suprise points against the bigger teams is a good thing to be doing.  

For me, it ultimately comes down to how the new wingers (Adama and Fischer) perform, and Adama could be a valuable asset if were are looking to get the ball forward quickly when won.

my main concern when we play the bigger sides is  can anyone really see us coming back if and when we concede . im reasonably confident we will give a decent account of ourselves  and  play well  in the main but not at all sure we have either the set-up or total belief to react once behind  . 

i do however think we will spring a couple of suprises in these  12 or so games .

I very much think AK's mentality will be to go for the 0-0, if it works, brilliant, its a good point, if the opposition get a goal (very likely) I'm worried for how we will respond, especially against world class defenders.

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fairly sure Man United had De Gea, Romero, Valdes and Lindegaard last season.

Not sure why everyone is shocked that we've got 4 keepers and de Pena in the squad. Those players are here til January anyway, and aren't taking up spaces anyone else could have taken. It would have been more surprising if we'd left them out and only named 23.

We rarely came back in games in the championship. Even with better starting 11s than the opposition

Although that was obviously the case in 14/15, I saw a stat that we were actually one of the better sides coming from behind last season in the championship. It surprised me, but that's what it said.

We rarely came back in games in the championship. Even with better starting 11s than the opposition

Although that was obviously the case in 14/15, I saw a stat that we were actually one of the better sides coming from behind last season in the championship. It surprised me, but that's what it said.

It didn't feel like it. Although that may be me getting confused with the previous season. Does anyone have it?

its been a great window, slightly disappointed we lost adomah and replaced him with an untried youngster. bit of a gamble imo. i personally think we couldn't get anyone better than we already had. so we stuck with what we have. (stuani) hes a cf/winger good in air physical in the tackle, be hard to find another like him so we kept him.

adama looks like the go to guy late in a game when legs are tired. the explosive pacy winger we all wanted. could be a rough diamond, might be useless. we'll see soon enough.

we were never going to get another left winger after fischer come in. him and downing left. downing covering gaston to.

i think if we do stay up then we will see more attacking flair coming into the side next summer. AK has shown again he is in charge and will be ruthless when it suits him. stuani, downing etc had better perform or they will be next out of the door.

not sure how Chambers quailfies as u21 either cos he's already 21.... will be 22 in January.

You have to be under 21 at the start of the calendar year, which he was of course. ;)

Fair enough, thanks for clearing that up.

Further forward we have Negredo as the obvious big positive.  No explanation necessary.  But other than that things looks less straight forward as it stands.  Fischer has not impressed so far and it's perhaps unclear where he fits in.  The assumption is that he either plays on the left but coming inside all the time - which could work with Friend - or maybe as a second striker type. He's not a replacement for Ramirez.  He's not a creative player so you'd be getting a Vossen type of player in that position but maybe a better finisher?  Borodane seems to think that having watched him playing for Denmark?  

Have you actually seen Fischer play? By the sounds of it, you are going off of what the Gazzette has said about Fischer as a player/type.

Having seen him a couple of times for Denmark, and whatever little he has played for Boro, I'd say he's quite creative. I hope you are not serious about Fischer being a Vossen type of player. If that is how you feel, I strongly suggest you visit our favorite place for scout reports - Youtube. 

In any case, I strongly feel like he can play any of the front 4 positions.

It didn't feel like it. Although that may be me getting confused with the previous season. Does anyone have it?

I'm certain I saw that. I mean it kind of makes sense, because a lot of the teams up near the top hardly ever went behind, and of course the ones closer to the bottom tended to lose when they'd conceded. Off the top of my head, I can think of home games against Cardiff and Blackburn, and away games at Wolves, Birmingham, MK Dons and Bolton where we picked up points after conceding first. That's 6 games and actually quite a few points.

its been a great window, slightly disappointed we lost adomah and replaced him with an untried youngster. bit of a gamble imo. i personally think we couldn't get anyone better than we already had. so we stuck with what we have. (stuani) hes a cf/winger good in air physical in the tackle, be hard to find another like him so we kept him.

adama looks like the go to guy late in a game when legs are tired. the explosive pacy winger we all wanted. could be a rough diamond, might be useless. we'll see soon enough.

we were never going to get another left winger after fischer come in. him and downing left. downing covering gaston to.

i think if we do stay up then we will see more attacking flair coming into the side next summer. AK has shown again he is in charge and will be ruthless when it suits him. stuani, downing etc had better perform or they will be next out of the door.

No disrespect but if we do stay up can't see us bringing in more attacking flair, that's not Karanka's style of football he's emphasis has and always will be defence, Leopard doesn't change its spots.

Top top window for me , yes another superstar forward/rw would have been nice but we are a new prem team so that is all good.

Not sorry to see Albert move on , decent fella but not what we need. And I know Adama is untried but he offers real pace and will have less expectation on him after last season. He is only a kid so hopefully is now more settled in the UK as well.

Still think Reach will make a decent player but you can't argue with his desire to get regular games so we have got a good fee and done the right thing there.

The 25 seems obvious to anyone as they are all our available players and bearing in mind we only have the league to think about until January I don't see 4 keepers as an issue. Lets also not write of CDP , I haven't seen anything yet but all what we have seen was the champo and as I think is clear with Downing as an example players can look very different in the pre. He may still come good so lets see how that goes.

Could be a lot , lot worse (just ask Sunderland!) so I am happy

Further forward we have Negredo as the obvious big positive.  No explanation necessary.  But other than that things looks less straight forward as it stands.  Fischer has not impressed so far and it's perhaps unclear where he fits in.  The assumption is that he either plays on the left but coming inside all the time - which could work with Friend - or maybe as a second striker type. He's not a replacement for Ramirez.  He's not a creative player so you'd be getting a Vossen type of player in that position but maybe a better finisher?  Borodane seems to think that having watched him playing for Denmark?  

Have you actually seen Fischer play? By the sounds of it, you are going off of what the Gazzette has said about Fischer as a player/type.

Having seen him a couple of times for Denmark, and whatever little he has played for Boro, I'd say he's quite creative. I hope you are not serious about Fischer being a Vossen type of player. If that is how you feel, I strongly suggest you visit our favorite place for scout reports - Youtube. 

In any case, I strongly feel like he can play any of the front 4 positions.

He's done nothing in a Boro shirt to suggest he's creative at all so I don't know where you're getting that from?  I don't really read the Gazette so I don't know what their opinion is of him.  I judge him now based on the little I've seen of him so far,  what one or two people have said on here about him and the Ajax dude.  I don't remember him being described as creative and player I saw in pre-season had nothing like that about him albeit it was only pre-season.  The Vossen reference was that of a player that isn't a number 9 or number 10 but something in between.  I think that might be what he's about.  It wasn't meant to be disparaging, just descriptive.