oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

I'm still not sure I'd sign him tbh.  Still waiting to see him perform against a good side.  His impact can't be questioned and he's been a big part in us getting promoted but I just don't know.  It still feels like a player looking good against relatively poor sides to me.  Free transfer and the fact that he's been here a while is a positive though.

Well he has performed better than any of our attackers against relatively poor sides. If anything it was the games against the poor sides that our players didn't perform too well this season. As you say he's been here a while, and IMO from February onwards he has been our most influential attacker, so that reduces the risk part of things. Attacking/flair players like him are notoriously risky to sign, just like how he failed at Southampton, so at least by them standards he's relatively low risk as he has settled well here.

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some other names to throw into the transfer mix: Gerard Deulofeu(very unlikely but Karanka rates him very highly)? Oliver Norwood(he'd fit into our holding midfield role)? Grant Hanley?. I mention Hanley as he seems the sort of physical, dependable and brave CB that Karanka seems to like. He's also the sort of profile(age and experience) that we have targeted under Karanka. Whenever we've been without Ayala we've struggled massively as his physicality is so hard to replace, so having 3 CB's of Ayala, Gibson and Hanley would give us great strength in depth in that area. Rangers have been linked with him for £3 million.

Now that we are a far more attractive prospect to foreign league players after promotion, and along with our increased knowledge of these players from Victor Orta's appointment as a scout few months ago, it will be interesting to see how we will recruit this summer as there appears to be an intent to recruit more from foreign leagues where prices aren't as inflated as the English Leagues.

I don't think buying Championship players is a good idea if we want to stay up. Having said that, I'd take any of these; Lewis Dunk, Anthony Knockaert, Alan Judge and Moussa Dembele.

I think Steve, AK and the scouting network will provide us with a few surprises, most of which I won't have heard of. When I looked around at who I'd like us to bring in I discovered I was probably guilty of playing fantasy football and blowing my budget on a few players, for instances

Kieran Trippier of Spurs at right-back

Jose Giminez of Atletico Madrid at centre-back

Ruben Neves of Porto at centre-midfield

For the right-wing slot I thought of Andros Townsend, Theo Walcott or Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain

No 10 should be Gaston on a permanent, and maybe someone like Pritchard on loan as competition

Mauro Icardi of Inter as The Striker, and I'd definitely bring in Dembele of Fulham and let Nugent go - it didn't do Leicester any harm.

So there you have it, I've proved I can't manage teams on a budget, have no concept of whether players from top clubs are likely to join newly promoted teams and am completely ignorant of lesser known players outside the BBC gossip.

So I think I'll leave it to AK and his team and look forward to the summer.

Make Gaston a Boro player is a must for me.

Transfermarkt's says James Morrison, Tom Carroll, and Victor Valdes are out of contract this summer. I'd be tempted to have a look at any of them.

Abroad there's players like Nicolas N'Koulou, Gregory Van Der Wiel, Roman Neustädter, Gökhan Gonul and Martin Harnik who are Free Agents this summer... Likely that all will receive a lot of interest, but still worth a go ;)

With such a rich reward this promotion brings, the world is our oyster.

It'd be so hard on Dimi but we do need a younger goalkeeper moving forward and if Mejias was the guy you feel AK would have put him in. This reminds me of when Southampton came up with Kelvin Davis as no1 they ended up signing Gazzaniga and Boruc. Crucial our recruitment in goal is spot on no room for error.

I think we all know a certain Chelsea striker will probably be available permanently this summer after a pretty absent season at Palace/Norwich could see that making sense. Definitely need to add more of a pace option in wide areas Downing/Stuani wide aren't outrunning many fullbacks.

It'd be so hard on Dimi but we do need a younger goalkeeper moving forward and if Mejias was the guy you feel AK would have put him in. This reminds me of when Southampton came up with Kelvin Davis as no1 they ended up signing Gazzaniga and Boruc. Crucial our recruitment in goal is spot on no room for error.

I think we all know a certain Chelsea striker will probably be available permanently this summer after a pretty absent season at Palace/Norwich could see that making sense. Definitely need to add more of a pace option in wide areas Downing/Stuani wide aren't outrunning many fullbacks.

As much as I loved Bamford at Boro, and wanted him back this season, there's no way I would buy him this summer. Unproven in the Premierleague, albeit not really given a fair crack of the whip.

For me

Sign gaston

Another cb for competition

A right back

Centre mid - Anybody take lansbury from forest?

Right winger- matt Philips, Nathan redmond?

Left winger - jefferson montaro

Striker - someone with pace or take a gamble on bamford

I'm sure we will see some players from abroad? Have real Madrid got any decent youngsters? ;) odeguard who else?

Might seem alot but we need some extra quality now.

I wouldn't know where to start with outgoings. Will reach be given a chance? Husband?, de pena?

We already have 4 cm's of which we know 3 are top quality.

Personally i would love us to sign Ramirez and kalas. But if we don't we will need a new AM, CB and RB.

On top of that I would like to see a goalkeeper, left winger and another striking option, but apart from that I want to see us keep this team together.

For me the only position we NEED to do something about is left wing. Downing was average at best out and doesn't enjoy it. Obviously if Gaston doesn't sign perm then we need to do something there as well.

I wouldn't actually be to disappointed to allow the rest of the team to keep their spot at least until Jan. I think they have deserved it, however if I am looking at players who I don't think are prem level I think Leadbitter and Dimi would have to be replaced. As others have suggested we need something more in centre mid. I don't believe either Clayton or Leads are that good technically but Clayton makes up for it with superior off the ball work. 

If Derby don't go up I would actually take a punt on Will Hughes. I know Derby fans get a lot of stick for massively overrating the guy but I think he would suit the prem well. He keeps the ball exceptionally, something we will need in the prem. You also get the added bonus of causing the Derby forum to go into melt down. 

The left wing slot for me is where we can really pull a rabbit out of the bag. Its sort of a low risk/ high reward position and we could use our contacts to try finding a gem.

I'd take a look at Jordan Ayew and Adama Traore from Villa. Ayew had been one of the few good things about Villa's season; scoring 7 goals in a team that abysmal is no small achievement. Plus, he can play up top or on either flank, so suits the versatility that AK likes. Traore looked a very skilful and talented player prior to his injury. With Villa looking to offload and needing to cut costs, a Loan with a view to Buy is not entirely out of the question, either.

If Sunderland go down, I'd be tempted to look at Jermaine Defoe, despite his age.

I think we need to add new first team players in this positions:

GK

Right Defense

Center mid

Left wing

Striker

Plus a few backup/squad players CB, right wing, left back etc.

Dwight gayle from Crystal Palace might be worth a punt?

If rumours of us rivalling West Brom in a 11 million euro deal for Depoitre are true it will be an early summer statement that we are aggressively recruiting.

I think the kind of profile of player we'll look at are the stat players that Leicester look at, players with good distances covered etc.

I'd love Keita in midfield from Salzburg but he'll end up at a bigger PL team I imagine. I think Karanka will be reluctant to break up the Clayton/Lead midfield even Zuculini couldn't break it and he came highly rated.

As per my post in the other thread (So what's next)

I'll name names, although it doesn't mean we will sign them or the Boro management will have any interest in them, but we have to think like a Premier League club, but be sensible. This means looking abroad at players with potential and a sell on value, plus the top end of Championship player that we think could be a useful Premier League player but if we don't survive, will bode us well for 17/18.

So, with that in mind.

Championship - Dawson/Curtis Davies if Hull don't go up, Alan Judge, Ross McCormack, David Marshall, George Thorne (if Derby don't go up) and Dominic Iorfa.

In League 1 - Bentley, the Southend 'keeper is a potential star.

Europe - we need to find gems and players who could possibly stand the physicality of the Premier League.

I think Boufal of Lille is a wonderful talent. Meunier of Club Brugge will fill a role down the right. Guerreiro of Lorient would be competition for Friend. The exciting Achemapong of Anderlecht will probably have impressed the Belgian scouts too. His teammate Najar is another talent i'm impressed with. Fortounis of Olympiakos is another interesting talent, very much an AM, but can play either wing and if need be up front. AK likes those sorts of players.

Up front, i'm not sure if Borja Baston is going back to Atletico after a goalscoring season at Eibar. If he doesn't, i'm hoping AK can try and get him in. Another striker option is Haller of Utrecht. He'll cost upwards of £10m though.

Hidde Jurjus is a highly talented upcoming keeper. If Ajax, PSV etc don't go for him, we could possibly tempt him. He's shown great form for a poor side this year.

If we were to go down the South American route again, Otavio is another option to Leadbitter and Clayton in midfield and Valdivia is another creative player if we don't get Gaston.

We'll likely get none of the above, but I hope we are ambitious and don't sign journeymen.