• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am reading lots of talk on here of reaching our 25 man squad allowance. We are not in Europe, we are out of one cup already, we play less games in the PL, so my question is a simple one, why do we need a squad of 25, a third of them will not probably get a game in the first team.

Well we can have 18 on a match day. We also need to have 3 keepers, taking us up to 19. It's not inconceivable that we'll have 6 injuries to the remaining outfield players (last weekend, for example we had Leadbitter, de Roon, Friend & Fabio out, with Ayala and Bernardo only just back from long lay-offs), so I'd say 25 is a pretty fair number. I mean, some of those 25 might play less than 5 games, but when you can't sign players for over 3/4 of the season, having backup for injuries makes sense.

I am reading lots of talk on here of reaching our 25 man squad allowance. We are not in Europe, we are out of one cup already, we play less games in the PL, so my question is a simple one, why do we need a squad of 25, a third of them will not probably get a game in the first team.

Well we can have 18 on a match day. We also need to have 3 keepers, taking us up to 19. It's not inconceivable that we'll have 6 injuries to the remaining outfield players (last weekend, for example we had Leadbitter, de Roon, Friend & Fabio out, with Ayala and Bernardo only just back from long lay-offs), so I'd say 25 is a pretty fair number. I mean, some of those 25 might play less than 5 games, but when you can't sign players for over 3/4 of the season, having backup for injuries makes sense.

Put it like that it makes more sense Tom, still think 22 would make more sense though. Thanks

Valdes, Guzan, Mejias/Dimi

Chambers, Nsue, Barragan, Ayala, Espinosa, Gibson, Friend, Fabio

Deulofeu/other, Stuani, Ramirez, Clayton, de Roon, Forshaw, Downing, Fischer, de Sart, Leadbitter

Negredo, Rhodes, Nugent

Still only 24 players unless I'm missing someone.

Is de dart classed as a u/21 player.

Don't know, can't remember the cut off dates but he's 22 in Dec.

I looked up the cut-off dates recently, and it goes off their age at the start of the calendar year. So unfortunately De Sart misses out by like 10 days. However, someone like Enzo Zidane would count as under-21 because he was born in March 1995.

Put it like that it makes more sense Tom, still think 22 would make more sense though. Thanks

The other thing, I suppose, is that it needs to be the same across the board. So it couldn't really be a rule that Man Utd or ***nal get to use 28 players because they're in Europe, and we only get 20 because we're not. That would be pretty dodgy.

The way Tallentire is talking on Twitter, the gazette don't know who this midfielder is either. He's also confirmed it ain't N'zogbia

Or, as ever, they know but are being told not to say. They can be told what they can and can't say. Drum up some interest by saying it's an attacking player and hopefully keep it quiet enough that no one else beats them to it when the club give the all clear.

The way Tallentire is talking on Twitter, the gazette don't know who this midfielder is either. He's also confirmed it ain't N'zogbia

I'm not sure that first bit is right - he has said he would expect the player we're looking at to go straight into the first team rather than be a development 'project', which I think means he has a name.

Everton trying for Manolo Gabbiadini, another winger. I know it's just putting two and two together but it seems very odd that a team stacked with wingers are trying for more wingers. I think it's Deulofeu.

With the 25 man squad, you think only two 11s is alright but what about if the shape or system changes throughout the season and that requires extra players? Rather than just having 2 for every position in your current system, you could end up using 3 of your 4 centre midfielders in one game and then you have only one more as an option in that system.

We have a very strict system here, we're not going to change the way we play in the near future. So having those extra 2 might not benefit us too much. But the 23rd being another keeper is important, if one keeper gets injured, you're left in a bad position if you only have one registered left in your squad and are forced to face the potential of using a youth keeper when they're not ready.

I'm not sure that first bit is right - he has said he would expect the player we're looking at to go straight into the first team rather than be a development 'project', which I think means he has a name.

Isn't that just a really obvious thing to say? Why would we sign someone as a development project when we need a starter? If someone asked me if the player will be a starter or for development I could answer with the exact same conviction that Tallentire did.

Isn't that just a really obvious thing to say? Why would we sign someone as a development project when we need a starter? If someone asked me if the player will be a starter or for development I could answer with the exact same conviction that Tallentire did.

Yeah I suppose. I would have thought he wouldn't hedge his bets, though, to avoid looking like a bit of a tit when we keep Adomah as first choice and bring in a 17-year-old from a second division Dutch side.