oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

Right ffs I've had enough of this.....

Saying 'I feel we're still short in one or 2 areas' ISNT saying we've done bad business over the window, it isn't even anything to do with the previous business we've done.

The window came down to today, there were areas we needed to add to and we failed. What's the point in doing all this amazing business early on if we don't score enough to stay up.

Believe me a couple of badly times injurys will see us struggle big time, we look lost with out Ramirez, 70% of the time stuani plays we look ***, slow and ineffective and we have to rely on Fischer stepping up fast if anything happens to downing because on the left we've got *** all.

If we need to change things during a game what do we do? Take traore off and put stuani on? Wow, put Rhodes on, another player who relys heavily on service?

Other than Fischer or Rhodes were left with a pretty uninspiring bench to complement a thread bare front 4.

All these people who are trying to dress it up by deluding themselves that nsue will do anything at rw or downing can come close to replacing Ramirez at #10 are exactly that, deluded. People have even mentioned de Pena...... All these people will be the same ones moaning that we barely look like scoring, wba are an average prem team and we literally just bounced off their defence. We struggled going forward last season and we will do exactly the same this season.

Call it what you want, bed wetting or whatever it's the truth. It's the reason our powers that be stayed at rockliffe until 10:30 tonight trying to get another attacker in.

Let's pray our starting forwards keep their fitness and form or were in trouble.

Don't often agree with your posts linojo but this one you got spot on my friend

Yes its very hard to disagree with that post, linojo is bang on IMO.

See you back in January. Good Riddance, Lino.

What's all that good riddance stuff about then?

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Karanka hasn't worked with him in the Spanish youth teams.

Really? I thought AK said that he knew all about him and had worked with him. Oh well having been a youth coach I'm sure he will have known a bit about the biggest talents around at that time. Might also have given some of his previous coaches a call or asked Orta to do so.

How do people think we will do against the big teams this season? I think, as shown in the opening games, lesser teams will find us hard to break down, but will big teams be able to find a way through our solid defence? If they can, I worry we won't have the quality in attack to be able to knick a goal or two against top clubs, and getting suprise points against the bigger teams is a good thing to be doing.

For me, it ultimately comes down to how the new wingers (Adama and Fischer) perform, and Adama could be a valuable asset if were are looking to get the ball forward quickly when won.

I was bored earlier and browsing Youtube and I found a video about Traore. It was called the "Catalonian Dribble Monster". Do you think this nickname is going to take off? I quite like it.

I think for me it's been a mixed bag. We've brought in a lot of new faces but I'm not convinced we've brought in as much quality as we needed to or rather as much as I'd like to see. We've got good depth in central defence so that's a definite positive. Arguably good depth at GK so likewise a positive. We have a couple of left backs now so that's useful albeit we bought in a player that would appear to be inferior to the one we already had so we don't actually improve in that sense.

I'm not ready to call de Roon anything yet. I haven't been as impressed as others although most people seem to be impressed by him getting getting good reviews last year in Atlanta? That's ok but I didn't see much in pre-season other than someone late into challenges a bit more often than I'd like to see. Slightly surprised that he's never been capped given the poor state of the Dutch international team. Perhaps that's to come though when he settles in with us. Other than that the midfield hasn't improved at all.

Further forward we have Negredo as the obvious big positive. No explanation necessary. But other than that things looks less straight forward as it stands. Fischer has not impressed so far and it's perhaps unclear where he fits in. The assumption is that he either plays on the left but coming inside all the time - which could work with Friend - or maybe as a second striker type. He's not a replacement for Ramirez. He's not a creative player so you'd be getting a Vossen type of player in that position but maybe a better finisher? Borodane seems to think that having watched him playing for Denmark?

The lad Traore is not a puzzling signing in itself. Great pace is a natural attribute that can't be coached. We have very little pace in this side and he will certainly add that as well as a directness that we definitely lack. Anyone watching the West Brom game could quite easily see that and other than Ramirez we don't really have players that can actually beat a man or in the case of Downing are willing to try. I would say though that it's a puzzling signing because he is all we added and what we seem to have done is essentially say that Ramirez, Downing and Stuani are now absolutely critical players for us as we know what we will get from them, good or bad. Traore on the other hand is an unknown quantity. I'm sorry but Downing and Stuani limit us. Stuani is only of any use if he scores otherwise he is a 5/10 player at best. He just doesn't offer anything else. Downing has become an expert in 30 yard passes back to defenders and crossfield balls to the right hand side so that they are forced to try and do something with it. He himself tries now only infrequently to create things but for some reason seems to get away with it in the eyes of some of our fans. It's a crying shame for someone with more ability than almost everyone in our squad. Going back to Traore however I also think there may be attitude issues - he left Barca cos he wanted them to pay him a lot of money at a time when he'd done nothing. He's had issues at Villa as well. I made a joke about him being the Spanish Muzzy Carayol yesterday but nobody took the bait unfortunately! However this might be a viable worst case scenario here - a lot of pace, not a hard worker apparently, not much real intelligence and an issue with attitude. The only difference is that he's being paid at least 10 times the amount of a Carayol, if not more. But he's young and if he sees this as a chance to get his career moving then the best case scenario is much better.

I don't think this window can be labelled a success yet as really we don't know what it is. I think this squad is good enough to finish outside the bottom three but unless Traore and/or Fischer get into the side and add something then it could be a hell of a grind. We've only really played one genuinely good 45 mins of football and that was against Stoke in the first half. Against Sunderland they were all over us until Stuani scored out of nowhere and that changed the pattern of the game. We gradually took over but in the second half we stopped playing again and reverted to soaking up pressure. Against West Brom we didn't look seriously capable of troubling them at any point. But I do like that we added pace yesterday. I would have liked one more serious attacking player at least though and I feel we had both the time and the resources to get that done this summer.

One more point re certain posters. Too many of you hang on ever word of some people. You're adults, start acting like it and don't get into a strop if people either play a joke on you or it turns out don't really know anything at all. There's one person posting recently as ITK that has done similar in the last couple of transfer windows from memory and hasn't gotten anything right, not that he says much mind, yet he comes on and you're all over him. Come on people, time for some common sense I think.

I'm giving the window a 6.5/10 that could rise to an 8.5/10 if certain players flourish here.

Best post of the whole thread!

I think for me it's been a mixed bag.  We've brought in a lot of new faces but I'm not convinced we've brought in as much quality as we needed to or rather as much as I'd like to see.   We've got good depth in central defence so that's a definite positive.  Arguably good depth at GK so likewise a positive.  We have a couple of left backs now so that's useful albeit we bought in a player that would appear to be inferior to the one we already had so we don't actually improve in that sense.  

I'm not ready to call de Roon anything yet.  I haven't been as impressed as others although most people seem to be impressed by him getting getting good reviews last year in Atlanta?  That's ok but I didn't see much in pre-season other than someone late into challenges a bit more often than I'd like to see.  Slightly surprised that he's never been capped given the poor state of the Dutch international team.  Perhaps that's to come though when he settles in with us.  Other than that the midfield hasn't improved at all.

Further forward we have Negredo as the obvious big positive.  No explanation necessary.  But other than that things looks less straight forward as it stands.  Fischer has not impressed so far and it's perhaps unclear where he fits in.  The assumption is that he either plays on the left but coming inside all the time - which could work with Friend - or maybe as a second striker type.  He's not a replacement for Ramirez.  He's not a creative player so you'd be getting a Vossen type of player in that position but maybe a better finisher?  Borodane seems to think that having watched him playing for Denmark?  

The lad Traore is not a puzzling signing in itself.   Great pace is a natural attribute that can't be coached.  We have very little pace in this side and he will certainly add that as well as a directness that we definitely lack.  Anyone watching the West Brom game could quite easily see that and other than Ramirez we don't really have players that can actually beat a man or in the case of Downing are willing to try.  I would say though that it's a puzzling signing because he is all we added and what we seem to have done is essentially say that Ramirez, Downing and Stuani are now absolutely critical players for us as we know what we will get from them, good or bad.  Traore on the other hand is an unknown quantity.  I'm sorry but Downing and Stuani limit us.  Stuani is only of any use if he scores otherwise he is a 5/10 player at best.  He just doesn't offer anything else.  Downing has become an expert in 30 yard passes back to defenders and crossfield balls to the right hand side so that they are forced to try and do something with it.  He himself tries now only infrequently to create things but for some reason seems to get away with it in the eyes of some of our fans.  It's a crying shame for someone with more ability than almost everyone in our squad. Going back to Traore however I also think there may be attitude issues - he left Barca cos he wanted them to pay him a lot of money at a time when he'd done nothing.  He's had issues at Villa as well.  I made a joke about him being the Spanish Muzzy Carayol yesterday but nobody took the bait unfortunately!  However this might be a viable worst case scenario here - a lot of pace,  not a hard worker apparently, not much real intelligence and an issue with attitude.  The only difference is that he's being paid at least 10 times the amount of a Carayol, if not more.  But he's young and if he sees this as a chance to get his career moving then the best case scenario is much better.

I don't think this window can be labelled a success yet as really we don't know what it is.  I think this squad is good enough to finish outside the bottom three but unless Traore and/or Fischer get into the side and add something then it could be a hell of a grind.  We've only really played one genuinely good 45 mins of football and that was against Stoke in the first half.  Against Sunderland they were all over us until Stuani scored out of nowhere and that changed the pattern of the game.  We gradually took over but in the second half we stopped playing again and reverted to soaking up pressure.  Against West Brom we didn't look seriously capable of troubling them at any point.  But I do like that we added pace yesterday.  I would have liked one more serious attacking player at least though and I feel we had both the time and the resources to get that done this summer.

One more point re certain posters.  Too many of you hang on ever word of some people.  You're adults, start acting like it and don't get into a strop if people either play a joke on you or it turns out don't really know anything at all.  There's one person posting recently as ITK that has done similar in the last couple of transfer windows from memory and hasn't gotten anything right, not that he says much mind, yet he comes on and you're all over him.  Come on people, time for some common sense I think.

I'm giving the window a 6.5/10 that could rise to an 8.5/10 if certain players flourish here.

Best post of the whole thread!

Yes top notch post from CT.

OFFICIAL 25 MAN SQUAD:

1 Dimi Konstantopoulos

2 Fabio Da Silva

3 George Friend

4 Daniel Ayala

5 Bernardo Espinosa

6 Ben Gibson

7 Grant Leadbitter

8 Adam Clayton

9 Jordan Rhodes

10 Alvaro Negredo

11 Viktor Fischer

12 Brad Guzan

13 Tomas Mejias

14 Marten De Roon

16 Carlos De Pena

17 Antonio Barragan

18 Cristhian Stuani

19 Stewart Downing

21 Gaston Ramirez

23 Julien De Sart

24 Emilio Nsue

26 Victor Valdes

34 Adam Forshaw

35 David Nugent

40 James Husband

Under the age of 21 -

25 Calum Chambers

37 Adama Traore

4 Keepers.

OFFICIAL 25 MAN SQUAD:

1 Dimi Konstantopoulos

2 Fabio Da Silva

3 George Friend

4 Daniel Ayala

5 Bernardo Espinosa

6 Ben Gibson

7 Grant Leadbitter

8 Adam Clayton

9 Jordan Rhodes

10 Alvaro Negredo

11 Viktor Fischer

12 Brad Guzan

13 Tomas Mejias

14 Marten De Roon

16 Carlos De Pena

17 Antonio Barragan

18 Cristhian Stuani

19 Stewart Downing

21 Gaston Ramirez

23 Julien De Sart

24 Emilio Nsue

26 Victor Valdes

34 Adam Forshaw

35 David Nugent

40 James Husband

Under the age of 21 -

25 Calum Chambers

37 Adama Traore

4 Keepers.

Check number 7 again...

How do people think we will do against the big teams this season? I think, as shown in the opening games, lesser teams will find us hard to break down, but will big teams be able to find a way through our solid defence? If they can, I worry we won't have the quality in attack to be able to knick a goal or two against top clubs, and getting suprise points against the bigger teams is a good thing to be doing.  

For me, it ultimately comes down to how the new wingers (Adama and Fischer) perform, and Adama could be a valuable asset if were are looking to get the ball forward quickly when won.

my main concern when we play the bigger sides is  can anyone really see us coming back if and when we concede . im reasonably confident we will give a decent account of ourselves  and  play well  in the main but not at all sure we have either the set-up or total belief to react once behind  . 

i do however think we will spring a couple of suprises in these  12 or so games .