oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

On Dimi yes he's a fan favourite but he just isn't good enough for the prem, one too many mistakes and shots that he should have saved.

And on Westwood we said the exact opposite for when our players were linked with prem teams in the paper

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm of the opinion that we will be buying more pacey players in an attempt to play counter attacking football more effectively, if that is the case Dimi won't be our no.1 he's decent enough commanding his area and stopping shots but both his throws and kick outs are poor and he is sooooooooo slow to release to ball.

The goal against Birmingham sealed it for me with Dimi. He got done from miles out with slow footwork.

In the championship that's not too bad, but the prem is a different beast. Fast paced and I think he would struggle to adapt.

I'd be happy with Meijas but someone else would be better short term whilst Meijas still develops a bit. Who knows, maybe Meijas will get his chance after another successful run of games in the cup.

THE OLDEST GOALKEEPERS TO PLAY IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE

John Burridge Manchester City (May 1995) 43y 163d - finished 17th

Alec Chamberlain Watford (May 2007) 42y 327d - finished bottom

Steve Ogrizovic Coventry (May 2000) 42y 236d - finished 14th

Brad Friedel Tottenham (Nov 2013) 42y 176d - finished 5th

Mark Schwarzer Leicester (Mar 2015) 42y 159d - finished 14th

Neville Southall Bradford (Mar 2000) 41y 178d - finished 17th

Kevin Poole Bolton (Jan 2005) 41y 164d - finished 6th

Jens Lehmann ***nal (Apr 2011) 41y 151d - finished 4th

Edwin Van der Sar Manchester United (May 2011) 40y 205d - finished 1st

David Seaman Manchester City (Jan 2004) 40y 113d - finished 16th

Steve Harper Hull (May 2015) 40y 71d - finished 18th relegated

Shay Given Stoke (Apr 2016) 39y 36d - Stoke finished 9th

Not sure that having an ageing keeper is all doom and gloom and Dimi is still too young to make this list.

I'll echo that Dimi isn't good enough for the Premier League, his performance against Birminham also sealed it for me and that coupled with the fact that he's getting too old means it's time to move on for me. I also agree that his distribution isn't good or fast enough for counter attacking football in the Prem.

Not sure that having an ageing keeper is all doom and gloom and Dimi is still too young to make this list.

It's not completely down to age. Dimi is nowhere near this bracket of players ability wise. Brad friedel, Neville Southall, Van der Sar, Seamam, Lehmann and Given are all much better IMO

With regard to Dimi, I honestly don't think he'd be expecting at his age to be guaranteed starting spot in the Premier League. I don't think he expected to be our number one when he arrived. He's gotten to be number one by being our most dependable keeper in the face of competition.

Meijas, Blackman, Agazzi and Ripley have all failed to displace him. Agazzi is the latest to come and go without ousting him from the number one spot so we're going to be looking for a replacement there anyway - so we should sign someone strong enough for the Premier League and tell Dimi to do what he's done before and show he's the best to wear the shirt, simple as that.

Monchi is about to step down as sporting director at Sevilla. Hopefully that throws a spanner in their pursuit of Praet.

Apparently he's heading to Man Utd according to Twitter. Could be an interesting few years coming up for the Mancs

With regard to Dimi, I honestly don't think he'd be expecting at his age to be guaranteed starting spot in the Premier League. I don't think he expected to be our number one when he arrived. He's gotten to be number one by being our most dependable keeper in the face of competition.

Meijas, Blackman, Agazzi and Ripley have all failed to displace him. Agazzi is the latest to come and go without ousting him from the number one spot so we're going to be looking for a replacement there anyway - so we should sign someone strong enough for the Premier League and tell Dimi to do what he's done before and show he's the best to wear the shirt, simple as that.

Pretty much agree with this. He was supposed to be the guy who sometimes sat on the bench if we got an injury when he came in. Look at him now!

Monchi is about to step down as sporting director at Sevilla. Hopefully that throws a spanner in their pursuit of Praet.

I wish it would. Of all the players we have been linked with, he would be my number one choice.

Agent Jose helping out his buddy in his pursuit of Praet  :D

Llorente has a £15.2m release clause in his current contract, I imagine we would be paying considerably less for his services if it was to happen.

His age is irrelevant, he just simply isnt good enough

Llorente has had a pretty poor goalscoring record in recent seasons, cant see us going for him. His wages will be massive and there is no resale value. It pretty much goes against the sort of signings we have been trying to make in recent years. Has there been an actual link or is it just twitter rumours?