• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't see us selling Rhodes. Unless we have a specific target replacement in mind that is going to be expensive enough to warrant the sale.

Can't see the rationale of anyone wanting Rhodes sold before even kicking a ball in the premier league mind.

Also, purely hypothetical but can't see much chance of both Dzeko and Rhodes starting together, like someone mentioned before, why would AK suddenly change to 4-4-2 now that we're in the premier league.. Not that it matters as we're not even in for Dzeko! I'll stop rambling....

You can't see any rationale for selling him?  Even if for example he wasn't necessarily what Karanka wanted in the first place?  I mean, it's not like he was a roaring success last season and in the crunch game he didn't even start so I'm not sure if Karanka's faith in him is at the same level as everyone else's.  It wouldn't be a massive shock to me if we sold him.

Can't see us selling Rhodes. Unless we have a specific target replacement in mind that is going to be expensive enough to warrant the sale.

Can't see the rationale of anyone wanting Rhodes sold before even kicking a ball in the premier league mind.

Also, purely hypothetical but can't see much chance of both Dzeko and Rhodes starting together, like someone mentioned before, why would AK suddenly change to 4-4-2 now that we're in the premier league.. Not that it matters as we're not even in for Dzeko! I'll stop rambling....

You can't see any rationale for selling him?  Even if for example he wasn't necessarily what Karanka wanted in the first place?  I mean, it's not like he was a roaring success last season and in the crunch game he didn't even start so I'm not sure if Karanka's faith in him is at the same level as everyone else's.  It wouldn't be a massive shock to me if we sold him.

Nope, he wouldn't be described as a 'roaring success', but the second half of a season in a new team isn't a particularly fair yardstick to judge someone by. It also can't be denied that once he found his feet, his form and goal scoring did improve as the season went on.

As for Karanka not starting him against Brighton, who knows the reasons behind this, but if he had lost faith with Rhodes, why would he wait till the last game of the season before dropping him? Especially in the games preceding that, he'd scored 2 against Bolton, one against Burnley, 1 against Bham and played alright against Ipswich.

None of us know why he didn't start against Brighton, but it worked tactically, and we were all happy.

Incidentally, did you think any of our strikers were a roaring success last season? In my opinion it was how we set up tactically that resulted in limited service to whoever was starting up front, so whoever started was never going to have a similar goal scoring record to Gray etc.

Obviously I'm not complaining with our tactics before anyone starts, it got us promoted. But I do think if Nugent, Kike wild have started the games that Rhodes did, they wouldn't have banged in many more, as proven in the first half of the season.

He didn't hit the ground running but he ended pretty strong I feel. 

He scored some important goals, too. 

Equaliser against MK Dons - got us 1 point.

Picked up 1 assist against Cardiff although he was influential in both of our first 2 goals.

Then went on a barren run of 6 games without a goal or assist until the goal against QPR which set us on our way.

2 games later he picks up an assist on the opening goal against Reading (admittedly should have buried it).

He then goes on to score 4 in his last 5, including 2 against Bolton & 1 against Burnley that equated to 4 points. He's also involved in both goals in the draw against Birmingham, with a goal and assist.

So he took a while to hit the ground running but he had a really good run in.

He might not be Karankas choice, who really knows, but he had a pretty decent end to the season goals/contribution wise.

Gökhan Tore is a great talent. I said on here how awesome I thought West Ham's attacking midfield line would be with him alongside Payet and Lanzini. If we got him, I can't guarantee I'd be able to contain the Stubbzy-esque creamfest...

Nope, he wouldn't be described as a 'roaring success', but the second half of a season in a new team isn't a particularly fair yardstick to judge someone by. It also can't be denied that once he found his feet, his form and goal scoring did improve as the season went on.

As for Karanka not starting him against Brighton, who knows the reasons behind this, but if he had lost faith with Rhodes, why would he wait till the last game of the season before dropping him? Especially in the games preceding that, he'd scored 2 against Bolton, one against Burnley, 1 against Bham and played alright against Ipswich.

None of us know why he didn't start against Brighton, but it worked tactically, and we were all happy.

Incidentally, did you think any of our strikers were a roaring success last season? In my opinion it was how we set up tactically that resulted in limited service to whoever was starting up front, so whoever started was never going to have a similar goal scoring record to Gray etc.

Obviously I'm not complaining with our tactics before anyone starts, it got us promoted. But I do think if Nugent, Kike wild have started the games that Rhodes did, they wouldn't have banged in many more, as proven in the first half of the season.

I just highlighted a couple of things there.  It's not a question of him losing faith in Rhodes, it's how much he had to begin that I'm talking about.

To me it doesn't matter why he didn't start, I think there was some talk of a bug going around the squad? I don't know if that was confirmed and if he was one of those that were effected.  I do know that he hadn't nailed down the starting spot though.  If there were no medical reasons why he didn't play then all that's left are tactical ones I guess - you must see that if he isn't deemed to be the best choice for a home game against Brighton then I just don't see how he becomes first choice for better opponents each week.  

I don't think any of our strikers were a roaring success but that doesn't change the fact that Rhodes missed a hell of a lot of good chances after joining us.  His finishing, whether as a result of a lack of confidence or just because that's how good he is, was actually quite poor when you look at it.  The goals he did score tended be instinctive finishes where he had little time to think with a bit of luck thrown in.  The good chances he was presented with he tended to fluff.  He got lucky against Birmingham, Bolton (good quick reaction though) and MK Dons, even QPR really when you look at it.

I can see some fairly clear reasons why we could end up selling him.  I certainly wouldn't say it was out of the question anyway.

Picked up 1 assist against Cardiff although he was influential in both of our first 2 goals.

Then went on a barren run of 6 games without a goal or assist until the goal against QPR which set us on our way.

2 games later he picks up an assist on the opening goal against Reading (admittedly should have buried it).

He then goes on to score 4 in his last 5, including 2 against Bolton & 1 against Burnley that equated to 4 points. He's also involved in both goals in the draw against Birmingham, with a goal and assist.

He might not be Karankas choice, who really knows, but he had a pretty decent end to the season goals/contribution wise.

Well I disagree with you there bud.  I thought he was no different in the run in than he was before that.  He just got quite a lot of luck really.  GK making a howler at Birmingham.  A ball rebounding straight to him against Bolton and a header into an open goal where we had like 3 players ready to put it in if I remember rightly?  Hadn't he missed chances before that? The Burnley goal was what I'd call a proper instinctive strikers goal so no issue there.  Was it Ipswich he fluffed a good chance? Reading as well.  

I'm not talking the guy out of the club to be clear, I'm just saying I can see why it might be that we'd consider selling him, if indeed the newspaper stuff is correct.  But you'd expect Nugent to be the more likely sale if we were selling one, unless we're prepared to sell both perhaps...

Well I disagree with you there bud.  I thought he was no different in the run in than he was before that.  He just got quite a lot of luck really.  GK making a howler at Birmingham.  A ball rebounding straight to him against Bolton and a header into an open goal where we had like 3 players ready to put it in if I remember rightly?  Hadn't he missed chances before that? The Burnley goal was what I'd call a proper instinctive strikers goal so no issue there.  Was it Ipswich he fluffed a good chance? Reading as well.  

I'm not talking the guy out of the club to be clear, I'm just saying I can see why it might be that we'd consider selling him, if indeed the newspaper stuff is correct.  But you'd expect Nugent to be the more likely sale if we were selling one, unless we're prepared to sell both perhaps...

I agree, i can see the reasons why.

I think a lot of why his run in was so much better was his luck changed. It sounds silly but he was always getting into the right positions & they just weren't coming off for him. Suddenly everything starts falling his way and he's able to put a run together.

It's weird, but it seems to be how football works. 

He's openly admitted he struggled for a while after coming here in terms of settling in, so I do wonder whether his uptick in goals came along with finally feeling comfortable rather than snatching at chances trying to impress your new team mates.

i really wish we had a striker that can make something for himself rather than relying on the service around him.

Also didn't someone say that rhodes wasn't a karanka signing but more gibson?

anyway premier league defences are way better than championship standard and there wont be many silly mistakes he can punish like he did in the championship, and like one of the posts above said when he was presented actual team play chances he fluffed them.

me personally would go for a premier league striker or of that quality because lets face it we cant afford a bad start by not scoring goals and that is exactly what you need to stay up in this division because although we had one of the best defence in the championship, PL teams will score against us no doubt so its up to us to outscore them that's how its always been in the PL, just look at what happend the season we went down tuncay was our highest goalscorer with 7 goals... and obviously Afonso alves with a mere 4 goals.

I agree, i can see the reasons why.

I think a lot of why his run in was so much better was his luck changed. It sounds silly but he was always getting into the right positions & they just weren't coming off for him. Suddenly everything starts falling his way and he's able to put a run together.

It's weird, but it seems to be how football works. 

He's openly admitted he struggled for a while after coming here in terms of settling in, so I do wonder whether his uptick in goals came along with finally feeling comfortable rather than snatching at chances trying to impress your new team mates.

Was it Napoleon who said he wanted lucky generals?  I wouldn't have too much of a problem with us having lucky strikers that score 15/20 lucky goals a season but I'm not sure how realistic that it is or whether Karanka quite sees it the same way.  I did mention at times last season about what seemed to be a lack of confidence.

I think Karanka is closer to my way of looking at things than some of you on here though, not in terms of how they judge players but in terms of a lack of attachment to the players.  I think he would sell anyone if he thought we could do better, not because he doesn't care but because his interest is in making the best team and if player X isn't going to do it then he can go, whoever that is.

Do you know it wouldn't be a complete shock to me if we sold both and bought another front line striker and Bamford maybe.  No reason at all for me to think that, just a scenario that again wouldn't totally surprise me.

It's an interesting discussion. How many on here would be happy if we started next season with Rhodes and Nugent as our up front options? I think the majority would say it needs strengthening. And if we strengthen, do we buy someone we expect to start? Or someone to provide Rhodes with competition. The calibre of who (if) we bring in, will soon tell us if AK thinks Rhodes good enough to lead our line or not.

I don't think AK is too impressed with Rhodes, I questioned whether Rhodes would be at the club this season and was shot down as if I was some sort of heretic. I'm glad the voice of reason shares similar views, maybe I'm not a lunatic after all.

We have to treat Rhodes the same way we'd treat a youth talent coming through. He's got great innate ability, and has the potential to score a lot of goals for us. But with no PL experience, he can't be expected to take all the responsibility and it would be a risk to bet he'll definitely adapt. We need someone with good top-level experience, preferably PL (although this may be difficult), for him to learn from and share the goalscoring burden with.

So give Rhodes a chance but lets spend £11m on Dzeko?  :)

So just stick with one striker this season then if he gets injured that's life, some teams actually do play 2 strikers.

But we don't and if we spent £11m on Dzeko it wouldn't be to have him sit on our bench now would it.

I can't disagree with your point about Dzeko because its common sense, but obviously we've got to have at least 2 PL quality strikers in our squad, so unless  we pull a rabbit out of the hat like Leicester did with Vardy, we will have to splash the cash.

I think Rhodes will stay. And I think he will start the first games of the season.

But I do think we will sign another striker. And not just someone who will add competition. It will likely be someone with more ability who will end up being largely first choice in the long-run (unless Rhodes is on fire).

To me, that would make a lot of sense. It sends the message that you [Rhodes] helped us get here, so you will get your opportunity from the off. He wasn't super amazing, but he still did well in our run-in. Could make the same argument for Nugent! And that any new signings have to earn their chance. And if Rhodes does end up playing second fiddle, we can still consider ourselves very lucky. A fair number of PL teams would be happy having the best Championship striker of the past few seasons available as a super-sub. If his main asset is his movement and poaching goals, yet is lacking in other departments, then that's still the most important qualities you need from that type of option.

I think it will be the same with a lot of the team. A familiar line-up to start the season. But probably three, four, five or six changes half a dozen or so games in. Same positive message to the rest of the squad from AK that should have a positive effect on team spirit and effort levels, whilst ensuring that we have improved personnel to prepare us for the step-up in the quality of teams we play.