oneBoro Forum

Summer 2016 Transfer window

Anichebe is not an improvement on what we have. 24 league goals in 10 years is rubbish.

Rather bring back Lee Dong Gook. :D

• Replies 18.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This thread sometimes honestly. Cattermole is clearly a better player than Leadbitter. The way you know that aside from just watching them play is that one has had a career entirely in the Premier League and one is only just getting back into the Premier League at the age of 30 because he's part of a promotion winning side. No Premier League club would have bought him from us. I think you'll find some Premier League clubs would buy Cattermole if he was available. Leadbitter signed for us on a free and I think if he was valued at all by anyone in the Premier League he'd have been there. He's done a decent job for us in the Championship and hopefully will do a decent job for us next season if called upon but that's it.

Just seen Victor Anichebe got released would any one take him on a free?

I'd sooner eat a bowlful of pubes and slugs.

Don't sit on the fench mate. I'll put you in the maybe camp then lol

But there are plenty of players out there who are better than leadbitter AND cattermole, those are who we need to aim for. Cattermole may have played in the premiership all his career but has constantly been in relegation fights, not once has even an upper mid table team shown an interest. I'm hoping we set our sights higher than just fighting to survive next season.

"Moneyball" is about buying players with specific skill sets that fit and compliment the existing structure. It's a nonsense buzz word in my opinion.

Skrtel I'd snap your hand off for. Wethers it's true / realistic is another matter.

Cattermole is a good player - but a liability in terms of staying on the pitch, wouldn't provide us anything particularly new and off the pitch is, frankly... I'll stop there.

Anyone who mentions Anichebe needs an hour on the naughty step...

Moneyball signings? Like who? Jordan Rhodes?

Haroun/Wildschut/CDP/De Sart you could make an argument they were signed with a view to having high potential and high sale value in the future. I distinctly remember Haroun being mentioned as someone the club hoped to sell for mills but I can't remember for the life of me where I heard it (could well have been some hearsay on here!)

Can't say our moneyball signings thus far have been the greatest success :D

We made a profit on Wildschut though IIRC, which is a success in itself IMO!

Sorry to be pedantic but 'moneyball' isn't about buying players on the cheap with potential.  It's about identifying players that the market undervalues for whatever reason but who have certain characteristics that enable them to help a team be successful or better than they would be without them.  It's not about buying players on the cheap and hoping they get good, it's about buying something good to begin with that other clubs don't recognise as being good for some reason and thus it's cheaper than it should be.  I can't see any signings we've made that match that so far and those that have been mentioned have been unsuccessful when it comes to improving us.

But there are plenty of players out there who are better than leadbitter AND cattermole, those are who we need to aim for. Cattermole may have played in the premiership all his career but has constantly been in relegation fights, not once has even an upper mid table team shown an interest. I'm hoping we set our sights higher than just fighting to survive next season.

I wouldn't sign him either and I'm not sure he'd even be available but it's just daft to say that a player that has spent his entire career there isn't as good as one that hasn't.  Leadbitter came through at Sunderland and then ends up in the Championship.  Cattermole is still at Sunderland and gets new contracts.  There are reasons for that.  

We'll have done well to survive next season wherever our sights are set.

Basically it's using data rather than purely visual scouting. If your looking for a cdm you check the database for players with high interceptions, blocks, tackling, pass completion etc. ideally you get a player who's flown under the radar - but has better/equal stats to those of bigger reputations and price- and would perform just as well. Andre gray is probably the perfect example.

Skrtel I'd snap your hand off for. Wethers it's true / realistic is another matter.

Cattermole is a good player - but a liability in terms of staying on the pitch, wouldn't provide us anything particularly new and off the pitch is, frankly... I'll stop there.

Anyone who mentions Anichebe needs an hour on the naughty step...

I'll be back in a hour then

I wouldn't sign him either and I'm not sure he'd even be available but it's just daft to say that a player that has spent his entire career there isn't as good as one that hasn't.  Leadbitter came through at Sunderland and then ends up in the Championship.  Cattermole is still at Sunderland and gets new contracts.  There are reasons for that.  

We'll have done well to survive next season wherever our sights are set.

Ah yea I agree with that, he's going to be better than leadbitter who is vastly overrated by a few of our fans anyway.

Basically it's using data rather than purely visual scouting. If your looking for a cdm you check the database for players with high interceptions, blocks, tackling, pass completion etc. ideally you get a player who's flown under the radar - but has better/equal stats to those of bigger reputations and price- and would perform just as well. Andre gray is probably the perfect example.

adam clayton is a fine example of that. look how good he is now, we never even thought about signing him but he was always good just under the radar at udders.