oneBoro Forum

Rhodes lone striker role in the Premier

With the system we play will Rhodes be good enough to play as a lone striker in the PL

I was happy that we bought Rhodes, but what he does lack is a turn of pace and probably not the skill to beat a defender like a Costa or Sanchez, but everyone who has been associated with him in the past say he's a good  finisher, just slightly worried that he gets isolated up front.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Would anyone play the same three behind Rhodes? :

Downing - Ramirez - Adomah

I would replace Downing with someone who has pace and is more direct, but that's just my opinion, Adomah hopefully can step up to the mark, I like the look of Ramirez.

My gut feeling is that we'll sign a striker and a wide left player this summer, I think Rhodes and Downing will probably start on the bench.

I'd love to be proved wrong but I'm not sure Rhodes will prove to be good enough.

I can see us looking for someone with a little bit more of a physical presence up top, maybe a lower grade version of Drogba if we can find him. I'd love Aduriz from Bilbao for a season but I think he'll be ending his career there!

As long as we sign players good enough in the 3 positions behind Rhodes, Ramirez being one of them... I have no doubt's Rhodes will score lots of goals in the premier league. AK need to trust him & stick with him, None of this rotation rubish, Back him & he will score. If AK does that then I'm confident Rhodes will score at least 15 goals next season.

I don't think Steve Gibson and AK will want to rely on Rhodes in a one striker formation for the PL. To get the best from Rhodes he requires a strike partner. This is going to be a season where the management sit down before the start of the season and try to determine which games they think they can win, which games they think they can defend for a draw. Totally different from the take one game (The next game) at a time philosophy of the past. Survival being the key not a top six finish. So I expect to see changes in formation and tactics depending on our opponents and whether we are playing them home or away games. When we are trailing we will see Rhodes partnered with A N Other prolific goalscorer. Is Rudy Gestede available from Villa.

I don't think there is any chance Rhodes will be gone. He will get 10 goals or more next season. I have faith in him. More than I have in Nugent and Stuani.