oneBoro Forum

Rhodes lone striker role in the Premier

Regardless of the above. It is a fact that no team playing in the Premiership over the last five years or so has deemed it advisable to take a punt on Rhodes ability to step up as an effective PL striker, lone striker or otherwise. So it seems that we as a club and some posters know better than the combined ranks of football professionals, who's job it is to recruit players with the potential to be successful in the Premiership.

It far more likely that the club having finished in fourth position and with a significantly lower GD than the clubs finishing above us in 2015, attempted to obtain Rhodes or McCormack to provide those goals. (The missing piece of the jigsaw) As we know we where thwarted in the summer, and at Chistmas it was again apparent that goals could be the difference between play offs and promotion. With Rhodes now available, the club would have been crazy if the resources where available not to gamble on him to shoot us to the Premiership at that point in time.

I tend to go along with the aforementioned combined ranks of PL football professionals, and doubt if he has the ability to step up, particularly as a lone striker.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

A fex Premier League clubs were interested in Rhodes but were put off by the price wanted by Blackburn. I remember Hull, Sunderland and Crystal Palace being linked with him in the past.

Quick question, where do the majority of players to make their mark come from? Oh wait, lower league football.

Maybe this is Rhodes' chance to show how good he can be? With a record like Rhodes in the championship, it's amazing how quick people are to write him off before he's even kicked a ball.

Look at Afobe, who would have thought he'd be so effective? Everyone's got to start somewhere..

A false 9 is a guy that starts as a forward and comes deep to influence play, the wide forwards will then make narrow runs in behind him and effectively become the strikers.

Mowbray used to try it with McDonald being the false 9 and adomah and carayol playing more central, that's why adomah scored a lot more goals under Mowbray.

McDonald must have been a very false 9 for us then because he left the summer we signed those two players :)

Edit - just Adomah. Carayol was the year before. Did you mean Emnes and Carayol maybe rather than Adomah?

On this thread, people do realise that Billy is a self confessed wind up merchant right? I mean you do get that about him?

Quick question, where do the majority of players to make their mark come from? Oh wait, lower league football.

Maybe this is Rhodes' chance to show how good he can be? With a record like Rhodes in the championship, it's amazing how quick people are to write him off before he's even kicked a ball.

Look at Afobe, who would have thought he'd be so effective? Everyone's got to start somewhere..

Exactly. What if Leicester never took a gamble on Vardy? I'm not saying he is going to do the same but fact is they were both prolific at a lower level. They can't break through if they are not given a chance and I don't think any striker in the premier league that has come from lower league has had a better goal scoring record than Rhodes. If he shouldn't be given a chance no one ever should.

If we bring the right players into the club who can create chances, Rhodes will put them away, that's what he does, my concern was isolating him up front that's why its a must we bring these players in.

As Danny Murphy said Rhodes is not blessed with pace but what he can do is finish and with either foot that from someone whose played in the same side.

With regard to PL teams not taking a chance on Rhodes, those same PL teams didn't take a chance on Deeney who has certainly proved me wrong and has stepped up to the mark,(£20 mill transfer fee now being talked about), Vardy is 29 years old how come nobody had seen his potential, so I'm not really bothered who didn't take a chance on Rhodes.

A fex Premier League clubs were interested in Rhodes but were put off by the price wanted by Blackburn. I remember Hull, Sunderland and Crystal Palace being linked with him in the past.

you are saying that we paid over and above the market value for Rhodes. No argument there, we paid for his goals in the Championship run in, because we where desperate for a goal scorer.

Surely the question is, if you owned MFC, and had just gained promotion with a £170-£200m pay check, would you rely on Rhodes to score the goals to keep you in the promised land. Yes? well i'm so glad that you don't own MFC. We will see another striker coming in.

you are saying that we paid over and above the market value for Rhodes. No argument there, we paid for his goals in the Championship run in, because we where desperate for a goal scorer.

You said "It is a fact that no team playing in the Premiership over the last five years or so has deemed it advisable to take a punt on Rhodes ability to step up as an effective PL striker, lone striker or otherwise. So it seems that we as a club and some posters know better than the combined ranks of football professionals, who's job it is to recruit players with the potential to be successful in the Premiership."

So I corrected you that a few Premier League clubs have in fact wanted Rhodes but were only put off by the price. His ability was good enough to warrant interest from them. We'll see next year whether he can make the step up. I have plenty of doubts whether he can - mainly that he's going to need better supply in the Premier League. His poor mobility and strength is a concern too. If he has creative attackers around him then he'll score a good amount of goals so he's largely dependent on the supply that he receives as he isn't the sort of striker that can fashion a chance out for himself.

On this thread, people do realise that Billy is a self confessed wind up merchant right?  I mean you do get that about him?

That would explain an awful lot. Bit sad though isn't it.

CF: I wouldn't take CT's word as gospel CF, I don't know where he thinks that I've claimed to be a wind up merchant, I haven't. I'm not.

I was told something by someone who claims to have inside info, I formed an opinion based on it, then I was castigated for my opinion and had to expand on it. You can believe what you like but I'm not trolling anyone, why would I? I enjoy the interaction I have with the people on this forum.

I'm not sure why CT is digging this up, days after the subject had been put to bed.

CT: Are you on a wind up? You seem to enjoy instigating personal attacks on forum members, which is sad because usually when you talk about football you make a lot of sense, it's just the getting on with other human beings that you seem to have a problem with. I think you quite enjoy the attention as proven by your (all be it tongue in cheek) list of enemies that you posted last week.

Please just stick to opinions about football and stop trying to cause trouble, you can do better than that.