oneBoro Forum

Pre season friendlies

I thought we looked worryingly toothless up front to be honest. Apart from Gaston's free kick I didn't see us create anything of note, and I'm not sure their keeper had a meaningful save to make? (Disclaimer: I missed the first ten minutes and I think Rhodes may have had a decent effort in that time?)

The season starts in ten days, and I would hope we would be a bit more potent going forward by this stage. As others have said, the crossing was poor and no one seemed to want to shoot, preferring at one stage to pass the ball back from the edge of their box to our defender on pretty much the half way line.

Plenty of positives last night, but I did think going forward was a glaring weakness. We can't rely on 0-0's or grinding out 1-0's in this league.

Leicester went on a massive run of 1-0 wins...

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't one for the highlight reel! Had good laugh with the other Boro lads over think we had 20 in total! Police were a joke mind! Gaston just links everything together! Guzan was very vocal looked solid! We pressed well would be a good work out was around 26 last night at kick off! Can drink beer in the stands last night! UTB

I find it odd that no one has mentioned how awful Stuani was tonight. Id say it was probably the most ineffective performance from a player so far this preseason its almost as if hes just so vanilla that nobody notices.

Didnt think he was that great last season to be honest. His first touch is terrible. Think he'll struggle to not get sent off in the prem.

He might actually be one of the slowest players I've ever watched play as well it's maddening.

I'm a big Stuani fan but having him on the right makes me tear my hair out.

I can't help feeling we are not ready for the season. We don't seem to have put out a team yet where you could say, this might be close to the team we will pick against Stoke. Surely we should give the first 11 at least a couple of games to get into a rhythm. We've got 4 winnable games at the start of the season and if we throw away chances to pick up points because we are rusty then it could be very costly.

I can't help feeling we are not ready for the season.  We don't seem to have put out a team yet where you could say, this might be close to the team we will pick against Stoke. Surely we should give the first 11 at least a couple of games to get into a rhythm. We've got 4 winnable games at the start of the season and if we throw away chances to pick up points because we are rusty then it could be very costly.

Villa was pretty much a first XI apart from Gastón who couldn't play, and Fry who was being looked at.

I thought we looked worryingly toothless up front to be honest. Apart from Gaston's free kick I didn't see us create anything of note, and I'm not sure their keeper had a meaningful save to make? (Disclaimer: I missed the first ten minutes and I think Rhodes may have had a decent effort in that time?)

The season starts in ten days, and I would hope we would be a bit more potent going forward by this stage. As others have said, the crossing was poor and no one seemed to want to shoot, preferring at one stage to pass the ball back from the edge of their box to our defender on pretty much the half way line.

Plenty of positives last night, but I did think going forward was a glaring weakness. We can't rely on 0-0's or grinding out 1-0's in this league.

Yeah I totally disagree with MB, avoiding relegation (which, let's all be realistic for a second, is the aim) is all about grinding out 0-0 and 1-0 results when you need them. Having a solid defensive setup like we have and not a defence like a sieve like at Villa is a good start. I'd just like one more pacey winger to add to counter-attacks.

Yeah I totally disagree with MB, avoiding relegation (which, let's all be realistic for a second, is the aim) is all about grinding out 0-0 and 1-0 results when you need them. Having a solid defensive setup like we have and not a defence like a sieve like at Villa is a good start. I'd just like one more pacey winger to add to counter-attacks.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'd be delighted with a run of 1-0 wins, I just don't think we're good enough to rely on it.

Burnley got a late goal to draw 1-1 with Real Sociedad. Seems strange to be playing 2 full games within 24hrs surely they'll be playing completely different starting 11. Hopefully it'll still be a good game for us.

Burnley got a late goal to draw 1-1 with Real Sociedad. Seems strange to be playing 2 full games within 24hrs surely they'll be playing completely different starting 11. Hopefully it'll still be a good game for us.

Udinese played a game the day before we played them.

Wigan I believe played man u and then Liverpool the next day.

It's getting pretty common now.

real sociadad played a mixed 11 vs burnley between youth and first teamers by the look of it. thats going from their team at the back end of last season and the team vs burnley. on burnleys match report they were passed off the park for long spells and struggled to get the ball after a bright opening. the burnley reporter said they doubted they would play such a technical team again this season. Might be a sign of struggles to come for them imo.