oneBoro Forum

Dimi - Yes or No

Dimi - Yes or NO  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Dimi - Yes or NO

• Bring in competition and allow Dimi to fight for his place
    • Dimi isn't good enough for the Premier League and must be replaced.
    • Dimi has earned his chance so stay as we are.

I haven't actually contributed to this debate but I'm sure like many others, think it would be better having it's own thread instead of it filling up the Transfer Window thread day after day.

Anyway personally, although I think Dimi has done a great job and is a very good keeper we do need a new first choice or at least someone that can challenge him, as let's face it Mejias probably isn't going to be doing that any time soon.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes he should absolutely be #1 to start the season.

Yes we should bring in somebody better to really challenge him for that spot.

He's made mistakes but even the best keepers make mistakes. He's had 42 clean sheets over the past 2 years and he's made some absolutely top class saves to ensure that. Almost half the games we've played in the league. If that isn't worthy of starting the season as #1, I don't know what is.

I like how people are concerned he's not good enough when coming for crosses when our longest serving #1 over the past 20 years used to slap the ball silly a lot of the time it came into the box. The big Aussie was tough to watch some times when people delivered the ball close to his area but he more than made up for that most the time.

He's made mistakes but even the best keepers make mistakes. He's had 42 clean sheets over the past 2 years and he's made some absolutely top class saves to ensure that. Almost half the games we've played in the league. If that isn't worthy of starting the season as #1, I don't know what is.

I like how people are concerned he's not good enough when coming for crosses when our longest serving #1 over the past 20 years used to slap the ball silly a lot of the time it came into the box. The big Aussie was tough to watch some times when people delivered the ball close to his area but he more than made up for that most the time.

Summed up my thoughts perfectly.

No need for me to type then, absolutely bob on Wilson :)

I agree entirely with this.

Summed up my thoughts perfectly.

And mine!

Look if we sign a better goalkeeper in the window who performs well enough in pre season then fine but that goes for Ayalas' spot , or Clayton's spot just as equally.

We need genuine competition for places in all areas across the park. Dimi has earned his place, but he needs someone to challenge him for it. If we bring in someone new who gets into the team, he needs to be the challenger on the shoulder of the new guy. We're not looking at getting rid of Dimi, I'm sure, he's either starting or on the bench, and from that point, it's the best man to wear the shirt.

I can't fathom how anyone can think a 38 year mediocre keeper (and he is...his career is testamount to that) is the future of the club?

A lot of that 'improvement' in Dimi has come with the improvement in the defence. He was more vulnerable against Hull and that game probably showed up a little more for what he really is which is an average Championship keeper.

Just for arguments sake and because I was really just interested in what we were saying 2 years ago (not to mention the unemployment giving me huge amounts of free time right now) Humpty asked for comments of his to be found related to Dimi not being good enough for us in the Championship. I couldn't find word for word what was being said in the transfer thread but I think it's clear to see Humpty didn't think much of Dimi back then. Not having a go at you Humpty mind because you were not alone and I'm sure as many people defended Dimi at that time probably didn't expect he'd turn out to have been quite as good as he has been.

This was the thread about Jason Steele from about 2 years ago, the 2nd quote is from the season review thread of 13/14:

http://oneboro.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=6206

Dimi is not nearly good enough for the premier league, I don't need to watch him cost us points to realise this.

How do you know that when he hasn't even played in the PL yet? 

I take it you have some crystal ball or ability to foretell the future that nobody else does?

I'm with estonpidge. Dimi has been outstanding for us the last couple of seasons and deserves at least a chance to prove himself in the top flight. Call me old-fashioned but good performances merit some loyalty.

However, as eston said, Karanka should be looking to get a good 2nd choice keeper, (someone who can genuinely challenge to be #1) just in case it turns out we do need to replace him.

Mine too. And on another point, Dimi's distribution has been criticised, does snyone rrmember Shwartzer's goal kicks? They always veered to the right.

I used to cringe when the ball came to Schwarzer's feet from a backpass... great goalie but man, he couldn't kick.

Get a life Wilson!

I think that first quote was fully justified because there's still debate over whether he's good enough to play next season.

In regard to your point nobody deserves to start the next season based on the previous seasons performance. That's nonsense. Players earn the right to start in pre-season and think Karanka has indicated that clearly is his philosophy.

Dimi is not nearly good enough for the premier league, I don't need to watch him cost us points to realise this.

How do you know that when he hasn't even played in the PL yet? 

I take it you have some crystal ball or ability to foretell the future that nobody else does?

I'm with estonpidge. Dimi has been outstanding for us the last couple of seasons and deserves at least a chance to prove himself in the top flight. Call me old-fashioned but good performances merit some loyalty.

However, as eston said, Karanka should be looking to get a good 2nd choice keeper, (someone who can genuinely challenge to be #1) just in case it turns out we do need to replace him.

Didn't you know NB is Septic Peg?

1280x720-gME.jpg