oneBoro Forum

Dimi - Yes or No

Dimi - Yes or NO  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Dimi - Yes or NO

• Bring in competition and allow Dimi to fight for his place
    • Dimi isn't good enough for the Premier League and must be replaced.
    • Dimi has earned his chance so stay as we are.

Gi Gi Buffoon is 38 and still goalkeeper and captain of Juve, if he was in our squad some on here would have sent him packing because of age, and no I'm not suggesting Dimi is anywhere near Buffoon's keeping abilities ( not many in football are) before anyone jumps in, just making a comparison with regard to age.

Age wise, goalkeeping is unique in that its probably the only position on the field where you can play into your 40's at the highest level Shay Given, Brad Friedel being examples.

I do sort of agree with you, but I think the point people are making is that in a 20-year career, Dimi has never played at a level as high as the Premier League.

Guzan, Buffon etc have all consistently been at the top level, rather than jobbing around lower leagues before finally being asked to make the step up when they're pushing 40.

If that argument stands for dimi it should also be true for the rest of our squad ie friend clayton that have never played in the premier league

Well no, because that's not the sole argument for replacing Dimi. He's viewed by several posters on here as a weak link in our squad - players like Friend, Clayton, Ayala, etc. none of who(m?) have played at the top level, as strong areas.

I'm of the opinion that Dimi is a league 1 standard keeper (which his ~20 year career seems to show) who has played out of his skin for us.

Has he been bad this season - no. There's been mistakes but by and large he has performed.

Should he be our goalie in the Premier League - in my opinion no. There's glaring weaknesses in his game that will be exploited as more often than not we'll be the team under the cosh.

But it was the main argument for some that dimi hasn't played premier league therefore he isn't good enough.  So let's say fry doesn't deserve a chance or adohma. Or nsue or Rhodes or Gibson or any of our youth non of who have played in the premier league

Dont think anyones reasoning was that he hadnt played in the premier league therefore he isnt good enough. Certain players have really stood out in the championship, the likes of Clayton, Ayala, Friend, Gibson etc and have performed consistently well for seasons, they also have their best years ahead of them and are constantly improving. Dimi has done well in the championship but certainly hasnt stood out the way Heaton, Westwood have in this league. He is also very close to the end of his career therefore how many extra years can you expect him to have. He has to be replaced sooner rather than later.

Yes it would be a great story to see Dimi play in the premier league but when there are clearly better options out there why would you take the risk in not replacing him? Westwood looks like he would be available for 2 million, Marshall would be available, even players like Vorm would probably be available. By all means keep Dimi at the club as our backup, but in a defence which really lacks top flight experience, why wouldnt you get a keeper who has played at the top level when there looks to be so many available

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Every player who got us up deserves a chance to play in the premier league - but - we also need to strengthen, all the best teams have one thing in common, a top notch keeper. Keepers can make or break you, yes a striker can miss 5 and put two in and hes a hero while a keeper can save 5 and let one in and hes a villain - but thats football. So I say give him his chance but in the same time get a quality keeper in to fight for the jersey. Dimi had a great season but at the end of the last two seasons his performances at the end when the pressure was on and it really mattered I felt he struggled and was left feeling 'we need a better keeper' but I would love Dimi to prove me wrong, in fact I would love it if all our lads could too. Definitely a good keeper needed - plus what if Dimi gets injured?

I'm so mad with some of the negative feedback I heard on Dimi. Let's not forget when he came here is was just to help in training and that's it. No hope of first time action.

In his short time he has commanded his box and become number 1. Despite his age he deserve a chance at fighting for the number 1 spot.

Yes he has his weaknesses. However, a goalkeeper weakness is a lot more published than any other squad member. All of our team has one weakness or another.

I'm so mad with some of the negative feedback I heard on Dimi. Let's not forget when he came here is was just to help in training and that's it. No hope of first time action.

In his short time he has commanded his box and become number 1. Despite his age he deserve a chance at fighting for the number 1 spot.

Yes he has his weaknesses. However, a goalkeeper weakness is a lot more published than any other squad member. All of our team has one weakness or another.

As much as I agree your last paragrapf actually shows why there is a split over Dimi - you say he has weaknesses, theres your problem, spilling a long range speculative shot to gift a goal when we are a solid 1-0 up and in total control is a weakness you don't want in a goalkeeper, punching a ball back to the opposition that could easily be caught - its unfortunate but but these are game defining weaknesses, its not Dimis fault and if you are saying he is as good in his position as other players are in theirs thats fine but he has a very important role, I as much as you hope he steps up a mark yet again and proves the doubters wrong - but unfortunately the doubters have good reason to have their doubts.

Gi Gi Buffoon is 38 and still goalkeeper and captain of Juve, if he was in our squad some on here would have sent him packing because of age, and no I'm not suggesting Dimi is anywhere near Buffoon's keeping abilities ( not many in football are) before anyone jumps in, just making a comparison with regard to age.

Age wise, goalkeeping is unique in that its probably the only position on the field where you can play into your 40's at the highest level Shay Given, Brad Friedel being examples.

I do sort of agree with you, but I think the point people are making is that in a 20-year career, Dimi has never played at a level as high as the Premier League.

Guzan, Buffon etc have all consistently been at the top level, rather than jobbing around lower leagues before finally being asked to make the step up when they're pushing 40.

If that argument stands for dimi it should also be true for the rest of our squad ie friend clayton that have never played in the premier league

Well no, because that's not the sole argument for replacing Dimi. He's viewed by several posters on here as a weak link in our squad - players like Friend, Clayton, Ayala, etc. none of who(m?) have played at the top level, as strong areas.

I'm of the opinion that Dimi is a league 1 standard keeper (which his ~20 year career seems to show) who has played out of his skin for us.

Has he been bad this season - no. There's been mistakes but by and large he has performed.

Should he be our goalie in the Premier League - in my opinion no. There's glaring weaknesses in his game that will be exploited as more often than not we'll be the team under the cosh.

But it was the main argument for some that dimi hasn't played premier league therefore he isn't good enough.  So let's say fry doesn't deserve a chance or adohma. Or nsue or Rhodes or Gibson or any of our youth non of who have played in the premier league

But none of the players you mentioned are nearly 40. None of them have played for 20 years without even being close to a Premier League team.

I wouldn't be worried about him starting but I think we can do better. The money is there to buy better and he's definitely going to need replacing soon anyway. If we do buy a new keeper and Dimi still out performs them in training and in games then obviously Dimi starts.

I wouldn't be worried about him starting but I think we can do better. The money is there to buy better and he's definitely going to need replacing soon anyway. If we do buy a new keeper and Dimi still out performs them in training and in games then obviously Dimi starts.

Bingo.

I'm happy with Dimi starting if he wins that starting shirt.

Its all about opinion but it appears the majority of fans judging by the poll on here and the gazette feel he should be starting for us in the PL.

and not for the first time, i'm very glad the majority of our fans don't pick the team or buy players.

Wish we had gone in for Zieler (if we had a chance to persuade him). 2,5 million is the deal of the summer for Leicester, although he will be backup. Here he could have been a star. A lot of clubs have really missed a trick here.

Wish we had gone in for Zieler (if we had a chance to persuade him). 2,5 million is the deal of the summer for Leicester, although he will be backup. Here he could have been a star. A lot of clubs have really missed a trick here.

Yeah, Leicester's scouting system is miles ahead of anyone else's in the country for getting good players cheap. We will still buy someone though I reckon.

Yeah, Leicester's scouting system is miles ahead of anyone else's in the country for getting good players cheap. We will still buy someone though I reckon.

Been saying for weeks that we should sign Zieler especially with that relegation release fee.

On Leicester their whole club is set up on a statistical model. Despite this they found Mahrez by accident