oneBoro Forum

Dimi - Yes or No

Dimi - Yes or NO  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Dimi - Yes or NO

• Bring in competition and allow Dimi to fight for his place
    • Dimi isn't good enough for the Premier League and must be replaced.
    • Dimi has earned his chance so stay as we are.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a life Wilson!

I'm trying, mate. I start my new job in a week and a bit so I won't be searching through years of comments to incriminate anyone anymore. :D

Dimi is not nearly good enough for the premier league, I don't need to watch him cost us points to realise this.

How do you know that when he hasn't even played in the PL yet? 

I take it you have some crystal ball or ability to foretell the future that nobody else does?

I'm with estonpidge. Dimi has been outstanding for us the last couple of seasons and deserves at least a chance to prove himself in the top flight. Call me old-fashioned but good performances merit some loyalty.

However, as eston said, Karanka should be looking to get a good 2nd choice keeper, (someone who can genuinely challenge to be #1) just in case it turns out we do need to replace him.

Didn't you know NB is Septic Peg?

1280x720-gME.jpg

:D  Good one!

I used to like the Brian Conley show. That pic is a bit disturbing though as Brian appears to have a far bigger chest than Meg!  :s  :huh: 

Mine too. And on another point, Dimi's distribution has been criticised, does snyone rrmember Shwartzer's goal kicks? They always veered to the right.

I used to cringe when the ball came to Schwarzer's feet from a backpass... great goalie but man, he couldn't kick.

Haha this used to be me too. It would scare the life out of me

I'd be looking for another keeper. Even for a GK he's relatively old and getting towards the end of his career so whether it's now or in a year or two it's going to be happening either way. There's no question that he's probably just had the two best seasons in his entire career though and that means he will and should be competing for a starting spot. It doesn't mean he automatically gets the nod and the same goes for every other player in the current team. We're trying to improve and like it or not that is going to mean new players coming in and taking the place of the existing players.

The problem with everyone quoting the stats is that, simply, stats lie. They can be manipulated to suit your purpose. I don't think any of us are arguing that he's a statistically bad keeper, we're arguing that he won't recreate the same stats in the prem.

An example of how basing something on a few stats alone can be silly. According to the ones pictured [below], Dimi is practically a world class keeper. Surely even the most stubborn of his followers will acknowledge this is not the case. 

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%2010.51.36_zpsjezow15g.png

Dimi is to be completely and utterly praised for what he has achieved in a Boro shirt and the performances he has put in. However, the championship really is his limit [ability wise]. He's been found wanting time after time in that division. Yes he has kept the most clean sheets etc. but he is not solely responsible for that, the back 4 (and really the whole) team make that happen.

(Of course this is all my opinion but..) Dimi isn't good enough with his angles on longer shots, doesn't get down quick enough to low shots and spills far too many balls he should hold.

We need a new, premiership quality, keeper.

Dimi is not nearly good enough for the premier league, I don't need to watch him cost us points to realise this.

How do you know that when he hasn't even played in the PL yet? 

I take it you have some crystal ball or ability to foretell the future that nobody else does?

I'm with estonpidge. Dimi has been outstanding for us the last couple of seasons and deserves at least a chance to prove himself in the top flight. Call me old-fashioned but good performances merit some loyalty.

However, as eston said, Karanka should be looking to get a good 2nd choice keeper, (someone who can genuinely challenge to be #1) just in case it turns out we do need to replace him.

Don't atagonise NB, he has a habit of crying to the mods (or criticising them)

Still waiting for you to put your money where your mouth is regarding my offer of a bet NB, if you're reading this.

Don't atagonise NB, he has a habit of crying to the mods (or criticising them)

Still waiting for you to put your money where your mouth is regarding my offer of a bet NB, if you're reading this.

Leave the lad alone ffs.  It wasn't that long ago you were whining about me like a big baby because you didn't like me disagreeing with you.  NB might be an easy target but that doesn't mean he needs to get grief all the time.  It's not just you mind, there's a few that seem to think he's fair game nowadays.  If he doesn't think Dimi is good enough then he doesn't think he's good enough.  I don't see what the problem is with that opinion?  It's not like he's alone in thinking it so what's the big deal other than it's NB saying it?

Ultimately I think most people actually are arguing the same thing.

Bring a new, quality gk in and if Dimi is good enough for the prem he can prove it and win the shirt.

I'd be looking for another keeper.  Even for a GK he's relatively old and getting towards the end of his career so whether it's now or in a year or two it's going to be happening either way.  There's no question that he's probably just had the two best seasons in his entire career though and that means he will and should be competing for a starting spot.  It doesn't mean he automatically gets the nod and the same goes for every other player in the current team.  We're trying to improve and like it or not that is going to mean new players coming in and taking the place of the existing players.

This more or less sums up my feelings.

It's always a little trickier bringing in competition for goalkeepers, because only one of them will generally play. But Dimi is a big boy, he's fought for his place before, and I'm sure he will do again. Whether he succeeds or not depends on who we bring in. But if a better (and younger) keeper was available at a decent price, we'd be daft to overlook him just because we have a keeper who has performed well in recent seasons. Butland has performed fantastically well for Stoke, but if they were able to get de Gea in on the cheap, they'd do it without a second's thought.

Another day, another debate. We really need a concrete transfer rumour to get our teeth into.

I disagree. This debate is more interesting and relevant to a Boro forum than a load of unsubstantiated twitter talk, seeing as it involves players who actually play for Middlesbrough  ;)