oneBoro Forum

Dimi - Yes or No

Dimi - Yes or NO  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Dimi - Yes or NO

• Bring in competition and allow Dimi to fight for his place
    • Dimi isn't good enough for the Premier League and must be replaced.
    • Dimi has earned his chance so stay as we are.

Re the MK dons goal, yes its bad defending but come on, thats another routine save which you expect your keeper to make every time

If Mejias/Steele had made these sort of mistakes they would have been chased out of the club by some on here

I'll give you the MK Dons goal Gibson equally responsible, rank poor defending, but I think your nitpicking over a 46 match season.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the MK dons goal, yes its bad defending but come on, thats another routine save which you expect your keeper to make every time

If Mejias/Steele had made these sort of mistakes they would have been chased out of the club by some on here

I'll give you the MK Dons goal Gibson equally responsible, rank poor defending, but I think your nitpicking over a 46 match season.

Possibly, I agree he has made some good saves and has won us a few games over the season too.

However my point is would anyone really feel comfortable having a keeper with no prem experience who is prone to 4/5 mistakes a season start the season first choice, I would certainly be worried if we did this especially as our current back 4 have barely no premier league experience

Fancy Mejias to come good but this season isnt the right time to try him either

Possibly, I agree he has made some good saves and has won us a few games over the season too.

However my point is would anyone really feel comfortable having a keeper with no prem experience who is prone to 4/5 mistakes a season start the season first choice, I would certainly be worried if we did this especially as our current back 4 have barely no premier league experience

If he gains me points as well as he did this season I'll take his 4-5 mistakes, yep!

Gibson's made a few mistakes this season that have cost us goals, and as you mentioned is part of a back 4 with no PL experience but I'd still want him in the side.

4-5 mistakes a season. Most teams would kill for that And yes I'd feel confident till he's proved otherwise

Gibson's made a few mistakes this season that have cost us goals, and as you mentioned is part of a back 4 with no PL experience but I'd still want him in the side.

Gibson is learning the game and will only get better, Dimi isnt

4-5 mistakes a season.   Most teams would kill for that    And yes I'd feel confident till he's proved otherwise

See if you can find 4-5 mistakes the likes of Westwood or Heaton made this season

Of course the stats lie when you compare them to keepers who actually played in the Premier League. But then we should discount every players contribution to us over the last 2 seasons because none of them were playing in the Premier League when they played with us. That would mean replacing Ayala and Clayton too based on that logic. I suppose we should do that too, right?

That's not even remotely close to the point, stop blowing what I said out of proportion.

I wasn't using the stats to formulate an argument, I was showing that how an argument based on stats (as you've so eloquently yourself pointed out) is by no means infallible, as some people on here seem to think.

How the hell am I blowing it out of proportion? You're the one who brought in completely irrelevant details like comparing him to 4 keepers in the Premier League and nobody else is doing that. We're also not saying Dimi is one of the best keepers in the world because of his stats in this division. The stats most certainly can lie when you throw context out of the window.

I think it's entirely relevant to showcase how great Dimi's stats have been in comparison to his peers in this division and then also to show how incredible those stats really are for a goalkeeper in any division. For someone who you say has been 'found wanting time and time again' in this league, he still has some of the best stats in this league. Look at Tom Heaton for example, another excellent keeper at this level. Would Burnley have tried to replace him had he not been in the PL before? I don't think so.

What is interesting is where you, as many did before, have stated that Dimi is at his level. If we go back 2 years, it was a pretty common-held belief that Dimi's level was maybe not even Championship. So he's obviously done something right to prove us wrong there, who is to say he won't do it again? He's clearly not done enough wrong to justify anyone coming in and just taking his place yet.

I really think some still hold a stigma to Dimi because of the fact he has come out of nowhere, was signed as a 4th choice goalkeeper, his best years before us had came for Hartlepool in lower levels of football than we're used to. I think some are scared that we are putting a League One / League Two goalkeeper into a Premier League team. By all means, next year he might be made to look like that level. But he certainly hasn't looked out of sorts in the Championship which is beyond what even the club had expected of him. He deserves the chance in the big time as he's worked hard for it and is part of the best defence of the past 2 years in the Championship.

Does not matter one jot about how we feel, AK will play him if he thinks he is good enough.

Personally give him the opportunity as long as there is first class competition waiting in the wings

I think some are scared that we are putting a League One / League Two goalkeeper into a Premier League team. By all means, next year he might be made to look like that level. But he certainly hasn't looked out of sorts in the Championship which is beyond what even the club had expected of him.

So when the inevitable happens next season if we give him a chance at being #1 and he starts to cost us games what do we do then? Stick with him till Jan when we can sign another keeper by which time we will be relegated.

I'm sure Ripley is working hard too, why don't we give him a chance in the prem as well....

So when the inevitable happens next season if we give him a chance at being #1 and he starts to cost us games what do we do then? Stick with him till Jan when we can sign another keeper by which time we will be relegated.

I'm sure Ripley is working hard too, why don't we give him a chance in the prem as well....

Re: Your first question "IF Dimi "starts to cost us games" - then we bring in the new keeper that we've signed. I don't see too many people saying that strengthening in the goal keeper part of the squad would be a BAD idea. People are just saying that as it stands Dimi has earned the spot, and a new keeper [Neuer(!?)] will have to earn the #1 jersey off him

Re: Ripley, surely that question is just daft for the sake of it. Ripley hasn't been playing at the same level as Dimi, and hasn't been doing as well at the level he has been playing at. He needs more time to develop/

Re: this one from a previous post:-

jamesp "However my point is would anyone really feel comfortable having a keeper with no prem experience who is prone to 4/5 mistakes a season start the season first choice, I would certainly be worried if we did this especially as our current back 4 have barely no premier league experience"

I would feel very comfortable with this, in fact it's what I want. I would like to see Dimi start next season.

Cheers.

I think some are scared that we are putting a League One / League Two goalkeeper into a Premier League team. By all means, next year he might be made to look like that level. But he certainly hasn't looked out of sorts in the Championship which is beyond what even the club had expected of him.

Did you and Naughty Boy go halves on that crystal ball of yours?

Chaps

Is it time to agree to disagree on this

Even those of us that like Dimi are not saying he should be a guaranteed starter next year , just as we are saying there should no guaranteed starters across the team.

All we are saying is that when AK finalises his sqaud in the next 2 months that whoever AK decides is our best 1 to 11 will start the first game and if Dimi is No.1 then that is because he will deserve it because he will have proven in pre season he is the best. Is that so hard to understand?