oneBoro Forum

No Mans Sky

No Man's Sky's gameplay is built on four pillars—exploration, survival, combat and trading—in which players are free to perform within the entirety of a procedurally generated deterministic open universe, which includes over 18 quintillion (1.8×1019) planets,[a] many with their own set of flora and fauna

Anyone else picking this up when its released? Genuinely the only game I've been excited about in the past couple of years. Has the potential to either be amazingly good or amazingly bad haha.

• 2 weeks later...

It's rubbish. Don't waste your money. I've played about 6hrs and it's not worth £40. IGN are doing an 'in-progress' review of it at the moment and I think the reviewer is spot on. It's a massively flawed premise. I can't remember having felt so disappointed with a game before. This will be an even bigger flop than Destiny a few years ago.

See, I know loads of people who absolutely love it. Guess it depends on what you're looking for from it.

I really can't understand what people enjoy about it. I don't know what I was looking for - I don't play multiplayer games so wasn't bothered about interacting with other players - but this just offers so very little. For all its boasts about diversity and procedural generation, it's basically just the same thing for hours on end. It's an absolute grind. The lifeforms you encounter on planets have nothing to them - they just walk around aimlessly and attack you now and again. Even those skirmishes are dull. 

Exploring is the name of the game, but exploring is pointless if there's just nothing worth discovering apart from more minerals that you either refine or sell in order to upgrade your ship to do more of the same thing. 

I enjoyed FarCry2 and its sprawling map, and I also liked Mass Effect,  but in those games the world was pretty and driving / flying around was kind of fun. But in NMS the combat / travel / interactions with NPCs are all stupendously dull and inconsequential.

I'll pick it up through Boomerang eventually. It's not something I would part money with for, despite the fact I admire the work that has gone into it. I'm a gamer who likes a good story and it's lacking in that department so I'm in no rush to play it.