• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read a match report which talks of Ramirez' free kick "rattling the crossbar"??!?! Did this happen?!? Not sure whether i completely missed this or the paper has completely made it up?!?!?

It was a corner that hit the post, I've seen it in a match report as well.

Just read a match report which talks of Ramirez' free kick "rattling the crossbar"??!?! Did this happen?!? Not sure whether i completely missed this or the paper has completely made it up?!?!?

It was a corner that hit the post, I've seen it in a match report as well.

It hit the angle of the goal so it was technically the crossbar, I think. But it was definitely from a corner.

I think if they are going to do that then the next match thread should be opened up either just before or just after the game before it has taken place. Even if it is a blank post to be edited later when the person starting the thread has had time to write something of note.

I think if they are going to do that then the next match thread should be opened up either just before or just after the game before it has taken place. Even if it is a blank post to be edited later when the person starting the thread has had time to write something of note.

It's a bit tricky with the "winner stays on" system we employ. There's nothing wrong with sticking a what we should do different next time post on the Stoke match day thread.

I had forgotten how big premier league players are.

Poor Nsue looked like a child next to Arnautovic and Forshaw and Clayton were bouncing of the brick wall that was Imbula.

Does anyone else think we need more physicality in the middle of the park? I guess De Roon was brought in to bring that to the table.

Also wanted to mention the distribution of Valdes. He hit a Boro player with pretty much all of his goal kicks yesterday. Even getting the ball onto Negredo's chest at least 5 times. I was counting. Phenominal.

Poor Nsue looked like a child next to Arnautovic and Forshaw and Clayton were bouncing of the brick wall that was Imbula.

Does anyone else think we need more physicality in the middle of the park? I guess De Roon was brought in to bring that to the table.

Also wanted to mention the distribution of Valdes. He hit a Boro player with pretty much all of his goal kicks yesterday. Even getting the ball onto Negredo's chest at least 5 times. I was counting. Phenominal.

I noticed this, he makes goal kicks look like short passes with how accurate he is.

I don't think you particularly need to be big to be physical. Makelele managed to shepherd a defence practically on his own and he was 5'5". Clayton was physical enough of a presence, didn't see enough of De Roon to see if that was the case yesterday but seemed to do that role well enough against Sociedad so much that it allowed Clayton to get forward more often.

I genuinely just think Imbula is a class above most and I don't think we should be too concerned about how well he played against our midfield. He had a quality game, by far Stoke's best player but I still think we dealt with him well on occasion. Unfortunately, when we play against the top, top players this season, we might have to just settle for that and hope it doesn't cost us too many points.

I don't think you particularly need to be big to be physical. Makelele managed to shepherd a defence practically on his own and he was 5'5". Clayton was physical enough of a presence, didn't see enough of De Roon to see if that was the case yesterday but seemed to do that role well enough against Sociedad so much that it allowed Clayton to get forward more often.

I genuinely just think Imbula is a class above most and I don't think we should be too concerned about how well he played against our midfield. He had a quality game, by far Stoke's best player but I still think we dealt with him well on occasion. Unfortunately, when we play against the top, top players this season, we might have to just settle for that and hope it doesn't cost us too many points.

Fair point about makelele and kante is in the same mold. Imbula is a a top top player but it was commical at times with forshaw bouncing off him. Just worried we may get bullied at times and dont seem to have an option in the squad to deal with the imbula, matic, wanyama etc... type player.

Fair point about makelele and kante is in the same mold. Imbula is a a top top player but it was commical at times with forshaw bouncing off him. Just worried we may get bullied at times and dont seem to have an option in the squad to deal with the imbula, matic, wanyama etc... type player.

Kante with the same qualities and a foot taller would be even better

Forshaw to be fair to him is fighting a tough battle (pretty much a losing one tbh)  fitting into the stringent system AK prefers.  Asits been correctly pointed out he,s not totally at home as a defensive midfielder ,nor is he an attacking midfielder playing higher up behind the striker . SO, the fact that he even does an adequate job when he steps on the field for us (9 times out of 10 after not being considered a starter ) is fair play to the lad. 

reading back through this thread and more relevantly the transfer thread id like to make a comment regarding those ////3 behind the striker////  

ive heard people mentioning the need for a right sided attacking midfielder or even a right winger to give AA competition at the very least . and forever cropping up is the need for a left winger or someone to operate as the left sided part of the 3 . its even been said that we expect the 3 to be interchangable throughout the match which (maybe im wrong) leads me to believe we dont want any of them to actually hug the touchline as such but adopt a narrower position.  But in the majority of games ive watched id say we seem to have a tendency to appear out of sync  in that AA when operating right side does play pretty much as a winger but Downing doesnt do the same on the left side he seems to come inside much more so we look lopsided to the right . 

for me wingers work best in a traditional 442 or a 451  i think we should be looking for an attacking midfielder that is adept centrally  .

sorry for prattling a bit but i hope ive put my point across in some way. :D

After re-watching the game and having more time to watch over things rather than being caught up in the moment I feel pretty relaxed after that performance there's definitely improvements to be made but not a bad start at all.

Adomah got heavily criticised and I believe people only really remember the last few things they see, it's a similar way that players like Carrick and co get rave reviews when ITV or Sky play their 2 highlights of making a great pass or a good run and don't account for the fact they did nothing else all game. Adomah was spot on first half, good runs, he put the cross in from the left side for the goal he was running and covering N'sue, he tired in the last 30 mins and made mistakes which he will know himself he has to cut that out especially at this level but apart from that he played well.

Tried to watch De Roon but he wasn't really involved much a few short passes and a decent tackle early on but was chasing Imbula about mainly and was turned a few times by him although Imbula was their best player by a mile.

The whole team in general played well a few times N'sue and George where caught out. A few times N'sue could of made a few more runs but either was told not to or seemed reluctant too.

I think Stoke where a bit caught off guard in the first 5 minutes we seemed a bit nervy and reluctant to get at them but as soon as we did we started playing our own game instead of trying to counter theirs and I think it shocked them they were expecting us to sit and we went at them and it caught them cold abit. Long balls we will be pretty good with Stoke found that out and second half they tried to play through the middle more which is where we will struggle most when we come up against teams who will directly run at us. We haven't had that much in the champ and when Imbula or Shaqiri got the ball and ran at us we looked uncomfortable and it looks our biggest weakness Stoke didn't offer much upfront but other teams will and that's where ***nal and Liverpool and the likes might have easier games with us. We don't really have any one like this bar Ramirez and Forshaw to an extent.

Downing was my biggest disappointment I thought he would step up to this level but he offered very little bar in the second half he covered George well when he was tiring but first half he didn't seem to want to be involved at all there was once he only had Bardsley to beat and he stopped and turned back and passed to clayton and stopped a go chance to attack and in the second half Ramirez was driving over to the left and Downing actually stops at the half way line forcing him to try turn right as he had no one to pass too.

Impressed with Negredo too he holds the ball brilliantly and is actually quite quick when turning hope that goal gives him confidence and he gets many more for us!

After re-watching the game and having more time to watch over things rather than being caught up in the moment I feel pretty relaxed after that performance there's definitely improvements to be made but not a bad start at all.

Adomah got heavily criticised and I believe people only really remember the last few things they see, it's a similar way that players like Carrick and co get rave reviews when ITV or Sky play their 2 highlights of making a great pass or a good run and don't account for the fact they did nothing else all game. Adomah was spot on first half, good runs, he put the cross in from the left side for the goal he was running and covering N'sue, he tired in the last 30 mins and made mistakes which he will know himself he has to cut that out especially at this level but apart from that he played well.

Tried to watch De Roon but he wasn't really involved much a few short passes and a decent tackle early on but was chasing Imbula about mainly and was turned a few times by him although Imbula was their best player by a mile.

The whole team in general played well a few times N'sue and George where caught out. A few times N'sue could of made a few more runs but either was told not to or seemed reluctant too.

I think Stoke where a bit caught off guard in the first 5 minutes we seemed a bit nervy and reluctant to get at them but as soon as we did we started playing our own game instead of trying to counter theirs and I think it shocked them they were expecting us to sit and we went at them and it caught them cold abit. Long balls we will be pretty good with Stoke found that out and second half they tried to play through the middle more which is where we will struggle most when we come up against teams who will directly run at us. We haven't had that much in the champ and when Imbula or Shaqiri got the ball and ran at us we looked uncomfortable and it looks our biggest weakness Stoke didn't offer much upfront but other teams will and that's where ***nal and Liverpool and the likes might have easier games with us. We don't really have any one like this bar Ramirez and Forshaw to an extent.

Downing was my biggest disappointment I thought he would step up to this level but he offered very little bar in the second half he covered George well when he was tiring but first half he didn't seem to want to be involved at all there was once he only had Bardsley to beat and he stopped and turned back and passed to clayton and stopped a go chance to attack and in the second half Ramirez was driving over to the left and Downing actually stops at the half way line forcing him to try turn right as he had no one to pass too.

Impressed with Negredo too he holds the ball brilliantly and is actually quite quick when turning hope that goal gives him confidence and he gets many more for us!

You use gigantic sentences, was out of breath just reading it!   :D

Good summary though, agree with basically everything you said