oneBoro Forum

My team to play Stoke:

Valdes

Nsue Barragan Gibson Friend

Clayton De Roon

Adomah Ramirez Downing

Negredo

I basically flipped a coin on Rhodes/Negredo. I don't know enough about Stokes defence/style of play to know which is more suited to exploit their weakness. This is what it will come down to imo. Both Negredo and Rhodes have done enough to warrant a starting position.

Certain Barragan will start given he started the final pre-season game.

Agree with that team.

Got a feeling Fischer might make the team regardless of his non-existent display against Sociedad but I'm not sure who Aitor would drop. Adomah was good and Downing was alright too.

Think we might start with Adomah and Downing on opposite wings if they're both in the side.

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Afternoon fellas.

My take on the game on Saturday:

Last season I was delighted to see boro promoted. A similar sized club to ours in a cracking part of the world, great support home and away and a ground that's actually finished (unlike ours!).

Really looking forward to going on Saturday but I have a mixture of feelings towards the game.

Under Hughes Stoke tend to start horrendously every season. Our defense is currently quite sh*te and towards the end of last season this really showed. I'd rather we curbed our pursuit of Berahino and looked for a partner good enough to slot in next to Shawcross so he's not doing everyone's work for himself. But then again, the club might be doing just that and what do I know eh?

The signing of Joe Allen is exactly what we needed in midfield to accompany the massive potential of Imbula, who showed moments of pure class in short bursts last season. Similarly getting Arnautovic to commit his future is like a new signing, he was comfortably our best player last season.

Bojan is a little magician, this season with a full pre-season and his injury woe behind him I'm really hoping we will see the player that we had just before his injury, if he performs like he can on Saturday then it could well be a good day for us.

Shaqiri is one who is so frustrating. He's clearly got immense quality but he rarely shows it, if only he'd actually take a man on every now and again he'd be twice the player he currently is. Expect him to receive the ball wide right, then cut back immediately onto his left and pass it back into the midfield at the weekend.

We're a striker and a CB away from a good team this year, hopefully we can really push on this season if we can fill these positions.

As for your lot...

The signing of Negredo I think is a real coup, I can see him causing Wollscheid (Wellsh*te) some real problems if he's anything like match sharp.

Really like that Clayton lad and I think your wingers, whoever plays, can definitely cause our full backs problems. Pieters had a stinker second half of last season and Johnson as you well know is very good going forward but not so much defensively.

I expect you to put us under pressure for the first 15 minutes or so, hopefully we can ride the storm and push on from there. Last season we were arguably better away from home on the counter than at home when the pressure was on us to break teams down, so hopefully from our point of view you'll come at us and we can potentially exploit opportunities on the break.

I'm quite worried as I think the atmosphere will be electric which may spur your lads on, but equally the 3,000 in the away end will be in fine voice as well. (Bit of a pain in the *** you only giving us the tickets last week mind). I remember our first home game in the Premier League when we beat Villa 3-2 in the last minute, basically the crowd sucked the ball into the net at the end, the atmosphere was unlike anything I'd heard before. I think if you can create that then it's going to be a struggle for us.

Optimistic prediction 2-0 to Stoke.

Realistic 1-1. I'd definitely take the point.

Apologies for the essay and good luck for the season obviously apart from our 2 games.

Cheers.

Great to have a Potter on the board, cheers for your feedback from the Stoke POV! :)

Did anyone else read some of that (barring the defensive problems) and think it sounded quite familiar? :D

Adomah against Pieters sounds like where the game could be won.

Thanks for words PotterTom. Always nice to get opposing fans on here. It'll surely be interesting to get some good away crowds from visiting fans at the Riverside. Even though I'll be watching from the couch it makes the game so much better when there is a sizeable away crowd. Gone are the days of 100 visiting Cardiff fans on a cold tuesday evening.

Reading the strengths and weaknesses from the perspective of the opposing team reminds me that this season we'll get to see Aitor try and target specific areas in the opposition again. Last season it was the same week-in, week-out pretty much - try and pick a way through a 10-man defence. This season hopefully we'll actually see him pitting his wits against other managers again (like in the cup successes), which might even go well for us at times.

Can't believe it's only Tuesday - desperate for the weekend to come! Still think a 0-0 is on the cards though...

Yeah I read De Roon's comments, and concerned me somewhat. Not tracking back and doing his defensive requirements will quickly see him not in AK's first team plans.

I fully expect Downing on the left, with Ramirez in the middle (if fit), until Fischer is up to scratch.

Going by what De Roon said Fischer sounds like a bit of defensive liability. I can't see him starting on Saturday.

I've seen a lot of de Roon's comments didn't see anything about fischer, must have missed an interview or article! Could you point me in the right direction cause I enjoy reading/listening to player interviews :)

Going by what De Roon said Fischer sounds like a bit of defensive liability. I can't see him starting on Saturday.

I've seen a lot of de Roon's comments didn't see anything about fischer, must have missed an interview or article! Could you point me in the right direction cause I enjoy reading/listening to player interviews :)

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marten-de-roon-viktor-fischer-11720933

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/marten-de-roon-viktor-fischer-11720933

Yep missed that one somehow! Cheers!