oneBoro Forum

The oneBoro Player Ratings/MOTM Thread 2016/17

Last season I started off awarding 5 to a player who put in a decent shift. However, from boro-unger's reported averages, it became apparent that most people were awarding 6 for what I considered to be a competent performance. I have since followed suit so most of our squad, including AA, got a 6 from me for their collective and individual competence on Saturday.

• Replies 801
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair, a lot of people on here don't use 6 as an average, fair few last season were saying 5 was their average so that would be about right if people thought he had an average game, with the odd 4 (mine, seemingly) to bring it down a bit more.

If you had asked me to predict which players would be the outliers on a oneBoro vs Press rating comparison, I would have been spot on with oneBoro undervaluing Adomah and Downing and overrating Ramirez and Forshaw. Anyone who reads the Boro Forum regularly couldn't fail to notice how certain players can do no wrong while others have no right to don a Boro shirt.

Part of Adomah's problem is that we bought him from Bristol City and so there is absolutely no way that he will ever be good enough for the Premier League. Downing's problem is exactly the opposite in that most fans had unrealistically high expectations of him so he was doomed to fail right from the start,

Forshaw is so highly rated primarily because he tends to get a game when the bete noir of many oneBoro members, Grant Leadbitter, isn't available. He's bound to be good since GL is so bad, or so goes the reasoning.

The press have got it wrong with Ramirez. He's actually as good as we reckon. :)

TBF, whilst I agree the general consensus regarding Adomah tends to be "He surely can't be good enough because of his origins", my rating was absolutely not on that basis. I'm actually quite fond of him. I do think he can make the step up and I still think he can regardless of Saturday.

My rating, which sounds like it was possibly the lowest of the lot, was entirely based on my analysis of his game and if anything could have tainted that, it was because I know he can be better. That's more akin to how Downing gets rated.

Do you think you might be a little out considering nearly everyone gave him at least a 6?

I'm willing to accept the possibility that I misjudged it, of course. Same goes for every player, not just Albert.

But I based those ratings on my memory of the match, one which I watched Albert quite closely. My general feeling throughout the match was he was okay (nothing special) going forward but didn't offer nearly enough going back for a Karanka side to succeed. I wouldn't go back on any of my ratings, because neither my memory or feelings on the game have changed.

I don't think there's anything wrong with basing my ratings on my own judgement rather than the average of other people's, otherwise we wouldn't be able to get a fair indicator of an average to begin with.

Yes, and all of that is perfectly fair and reasonable. So long as we all stick consistently to our own individual rating systems then the numbers are going to provide a very fair assessment of oneBoro's player of the season.

The whole point of averaging it anyway is to get an overall score for across everybody. Clearly individuals will disagree on specific scores, as I do with Adomah, but I'm likely in the minority unless a bunch of people voted ones and twos to counteract everyone else's higher scores. Seems unlikely, so it doesn't bother me that most people disagreed with me. I know I'm right anyway. :P

Edit: For the record I think I rated Adomah a six or seven.

I wouldn't say he explains it well. He over elaborates what most people on here have already said. Didn't care much for his dig at people that may have the audacity to disagree with him either.

And he wears a earring :@

Hard to disagree with that, but I think he was carrying an injury today.

I just thought he didnt look interested and didnt really want to be here. Considering he was only on the pitch for 30 minutes he wasnt interested in chasing anything or offering an outlet when the rest of the players were clearly struggling.

Like Adomah but a performance like that is absolutely shocking to his team mates and the fans alike, they were carrying him the whole time he was on the field.  If he was carrying an injury, Fischer or Reach would have played instead surely.

Yeah he didn't look injured. If he was, then why did he come on as a sub?

He looked completely disinterested. He's our quickest player but he was the slowest on the pitch.

He would have got a much lower rating than that had he been on for the full 90. As it was, he didn't need to really set the world alight, the game was ours to lose.

I think a 4 for Adomah this week is entirely justifiable. He was much worse than last week.

I have said it for years now but that is the problem with Albert , he just isn't good enough to be consistent in this league. The difference between him and Downing in the prem is chalk and cheese. 

Decent lad and want him to succeed but we need a replacement RM/RW in the next week or so if possible.