oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sunderland (a) 2-1

[align=center]200x200http://www.mfc.co.uk/cms_images/news/1023964-01320330800543-1618896_478x359.jpg[/img]VS200x200https://i.imgsafe.org/0f85a48aa7.png[/img]

[/align]

Sunday 21st August

Stadium of Light (Sunderland not Benfica)

Kick Off 13:30

After an opening day draw with Stokelona  Boro head 26 miles up the road to visit Sunderland for the ‘it’s not a real derby’ derby match. Its the Smoggies vs the Moggies......

The Opposition

[align=left]Sunderland have appointed David Moyes on a zero hour contract after Fat Sam thought he’d take his personal brand of failure to international level.  

Previously Moyes managed to take the champions of England to mid table mediocrity in his short time at the club despite spending over £60m. Naturally (as with all British managers) he feels hard done to.

Moyes followed this impressive stint at Manure with a short tenure at La Real but as there is no Spanish phrase for ‘hoof it’ so he was once again fired.

Returning to England with the premier league’s Houdinis Moyes has been quick to strengthen Sunderland with the signings of Januzaj, McNair and Love from Man Utd and a CB from Chelsea. 

It’s likely more will come through the door before the game on Sunday.  One player who apparently won’t be signing for Sunderland is former Newcastle winger Charles NZogbia who turned up for his trail unaware that Fat Sam was now England manager.

It’s therefore hard to tell how Sunderland will line up on Sunday but I don’t expect much change from the Man City game. [/align]

Sunderland_zpspwmpvb2s.png

Januzaj will probably come in for Gooch.

Last Five Meetings

1. 30/12/2012 Sunderland 0 Middlesbrough 1

2. 08/02/2012 Middlesbrough 1 Sunderland 2 (AET)

3. 29/12/2012 Sunderland 1 Middlesbrough 1

4. 10/01/2009 Middlesbrough 1 Sunderland 1

5. 20/09/2008 Sunderland 2 Middlesbrough 0

In a parallel universe Grant Leadbitter once scored for Sunderland against Boro only for Sunderland fan favourite Julio Arca to equalise for Middlesbrough.

Speaking of former players.......

Former Players Word Search

Can you find the name of 15 players who have played for both Middlesbrough and Sunderland

word%20search_zps4iqspfk7.png

This weekend there will also be olds boys on the bench as former boro right back Robbie Stockdale is first team coach as SAFC. On the boro bench former Sunderland player Steve Agnew.

Show me the money

Sunderland 11/7  Draw 23/10  Middlesbrough 11/5

FACT: Nearly half of all money backed on this match is for a Sunderland Win

Daft Punt?

BET 365 are offering 20/1 on a 2-2 draw.

FACT: Boro have drawn their last 5 competitive games

Can't Make the Match?

The Match is being shown live on sky sports

Listen to BBC Tees on 95fm and freeview 722

Streams: Will update when available

Questions?

After only getting 2 attempts on target do you change anything for the game on Sunday?

Do you risk Ayala or Bernardo at CB?

Does Forshaw continue in midfield?

Why didn't Karanka make subs against Stoke?

Is this already a 6 pointer?

more to follow...............

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

(Mods just add/delete this to the proper matchday thread when it's created)

Would anyone make changes for Sunderland? I'm inclined to keep it as it is. Forshaw coming in for De Roon and Barragan keeping his place.

I'd relish the chance to see Negredo make Kaboul look like the cart horse he is. Same team for me, bar De Roon switching with Forshaw.

I'd love to see us not drop off in games as much like we did vs Stoke in the second half. I am going to go for a 2-1 win, courtesy of Negredo and ... Ramirez free kick.

I wondered whether we dropped off due to fitness and Stoke's ability to keep the ball. We came out the blocks quick against Stoke and towards the end of the first half they really started to use the ball well. At time's Clayton was chasing shadows. I can't see that happening at Sunderland.

I wondered whether we dropped off due to fitness and Stoke's ability to keep the ball. We came out the blocks quick against Stoke and towards the end of the first half they really started to use the ball well. At time's Clayton was chasing shadows. I can't see that happening at Sunderland.

I agree, we looked knackered in the last 20. Annoyingly, if we'd have gone 2-0 up at any point we would have had the platform to sit back and conserve that energy a bit more.

I wouldn't change anything, but Nsue will need to be at his best to cope with van Aanholt. It would possibly be a game for Barragan, but he'll probably be required in the centre.

Changes not really needed bar Forshaw for de Roon. It's probably too early for Ayala so Barragan keeps his place. They only have little Defoe up front so Ayalas hight and strenght might not be needed. Barragan also has a bit more pace to follow Defoe (I think). He certainly showed he can fill in there.

Unless we pull out a really good RW I wouldn't change the attacking outlet, certainly not away from home. Adomah knows what needs to be done, however I'd probably take him off sooner when he tires. Reckon AK had his hands tied with de Roon injury.

(Mods just add/delete this to the proper matchday thread when it's created)

Easier said than done, I'm afraid. Whoever creates a thread becomes its "owner" with sole access to the opening post and that's you now, Humpty. You would also own a merged thread because you would still own the oldest post. The suggested alternative of deleting the thread isn't really on, either, not after people have spent time and effort posting their thoughts. In short, you have created a bit of a problem.

I haven't looked at who is next on the MDT list but he is going to need access to the opening post, right? So, in light of the foregoing, what do you propose we should do?

Humpty, it's okay, there's no need to trouble yourself over it. It's a bit of a faff but I can fix things. Just don't do it again, though, okay? :)

Changes not really needed bar Forshaw for de Roon. It's probably too early for Ayala so Barragan keeps his place. They only have little Defoe up front so Ayalas hight and strenght might not be needed. Barragan also has a bit more pace to follow Defoe (I think). He certainly showed he can fill in there.

Unless we pull out a really good RW I wouldn't change the attacking outlet, certainly not away from home. Adomah knows what needs to be done, however I'd probably take him off sooner when he tires. Reckon AK had his hands tied with de Roon injury.

Little Defoe has this annoying habit of scoring goals, he kept Sunderland in this division.

Little Defoe has this annoying habit of scoring goals, he kept Sunderland in this division.

I wasn't trying to belittle his ability, I was simply talking about his physique. Ayalas strenghts are different from defoes, hence there is no need to rush Ayala back for this game if he is in full training. For the record I think Defoe is an excellent striker and finisher.

I think the early injury to De Roon cost us that game, Clayton and Forshaw were running out of steam in the second half and we had no fresh midfield legs to bring on. So for me it is the same team that finished on Sat to start against Sunderland with De Sart coming into the substitutes. I hope Sunderland have not got pace on the outside left as we looked very vulnerable along that flank on Saturday, Albert went MIA and Nsue was left exposed, and while I think he has come on leaps and bounds he is still not great at pure defending against pace and quality. Whatever we think of Downing as an attacking force he controls our left side in front of George and the opposition get very little change down that flank.

Have to concur with Bugrit regarding this and whilst I appreciate that there are points of view to discuss that members would like to chat about it does unbalance the fairness of the next author (typicalbrough) who might have used a similar question in his opening post.

In fact reading this the question could have gone on the post mortem part of the Stoke thread to a degree.

I know it seems picky but let's give the match day authors the chance to prepare the relevant match thread, after all it is six days away but would imagine the thread will be showing fairly shortly.

For the time being I am going to lock the thread and maybe Bugrit will be able to do a successful merge later on

Looking at Sunderlands lineup against City not many players would get into Stokes team. Kone and Defoe are the only two I can think of. I'm not saying it will be easier against Sunderland because they know they have to pick up points against teams like us, but Stokes lineup is much much stronger than Sunderland. Clayton/Forshaw will certainly have more space against Gooch/O'Shea/Rodwell than they had against Imbula. If we can match the performance we saw against Stoke then we will have every opportunity to get our first win.