oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sunderland (a) 2-1

Regardless of how good Defoe is, if we can completely starve him of service, there's very little he will be able to do. Borini is also a doubt for sunday with a toe injury.

We really need to get out of the blocks quickly and go for the kill. When Sunderland's tails are up they aren't that bad a side, Januzaj/Khazri/Lens could cause us problems if we let them dictate the game (assuming they play). If we get the first goal I can see the confidence draining out of them and the crowd getting on their backs.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

An essay on derby matches.

Derby matches were more relevant in the past, In the days when you went back to work on the Monday you talked to people who lived near you, worked with you, supported different teams.

In 2016, we all work all over the country, we live all over the country, we support teams hundreds of miles from where we are from.

Okay there are some derby matches that still hold true for whatever reason, I'm not going to name them.

But I work in Leeds and I was born and raised in Middlesbrough; Eston, Acklam and Hemlington. I delight in Leeds losing much more than Sunderland and Newcastle, because I work with fans of Leeds. Along with Bradford, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday fans, I won't go into the few people who 'support' Liverpool and Man Utd.

So in summary, I don't think this is a derby, but I think derby matches are less important in 2016 than they were in 1956, for instance.

No doubt a few of you work with some Sunderland fans, for you this match is important, for me, it is just another match. I'm hoping for a draw, minimum.

Derby matches were more relevant in the past,  In the days when you went back to work on the Monday you talked to people who lived near you, worked with you, supported different teams.

In 2016, we all work all over the country, we live all over the country, we support teams hundreds of miles from where we are from.

Okay there are some derby matches that still hold true for whatever reason, I'm not going to name them.

But I work in Leeds and I was born and raised in Middlesbrough; Eston, Acklam and Hemlington.  I delight in Leeds losing much more than Sunderland and Newcastle, because I work with fans of Leeds.  Along with Bradford, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday fans, I won't go into the few people who 'support' Liverpool and Man Utd.

So in summary, I don't think this is a derby, but I think derby matches are less important in 2016 than they were in 1956, for instance.

No doubt a few of you work with some Sunderland fans, for you this match is important, for me, it is just another match.  I'm hoping for a draw, minimum.

"A derby is a derby is a derby"

Regardless of how good Defoe is, if we can completely starve him of service, there's very little he will be able to do. Borini is also a doubt for sunday with a toe injury.

We really need to get out of the blocks quickly and go for the kill. When Sunderland's tails are up they aren't that bad a side, Januzaj/Khazri/Lens could cause us problems if we let them dictate the game (assuming they play). If we get the first goal I can see the confidence draining out of them and the crowd getting on their backs.

Get physical with Januzaj and Lens and they'll go into their shell. Khazri could be difficult, very good footballer in my opinion.

Completely agree about Defoe, he isn't a striker who can create something out of nothing, starve him of service and he'll be very quiet.

Defoe isn't someone who creates chances for himself with the ball at his feet, no. But he's intelligent. He knows where to be. He knows the runs he needs to make and he will keep making them regardless of how often we can stop the service coming on.

All it will take is a slip up similar to the one Barragan had in the 2nd half at Stoke and he'll be onto it immediately. He's a completely different proposition to Diouf. Diouf was a good match for our defenders because they're great in physical battles.

Defoe doesn't need chances galore to score a goal. He needs one chance. To my recollection of his career and even including his time at Sunderland, he very rarely misses good chances. He knows where the goal is regardless of the position he picks up. That's why he still scored tons in a forgettable season for Sunderland, one where their creativity wasn't superb by any means.

I think Moyes will sort them out over the course of the season. We *might* have caught them at a good time.

I think it's the best time. As you say they will sign players and improve

Derby matches were more relevant in the past, In the days when you went back to work on the Monday you talked to people who lived near you, worked with you, supported different teams.

But I work in Leeds and I was born and raised in Middlesbrough; Eston, Acklam and Hemlington. I delight in Leeds losing much more than Sunderland and Newcastle, because I work with fans of Leeds. Along with Bradford, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday fans, I won't go into the few people who 'support' Liverpool and Man Utd.

No doubt a few of you work with some Sunderland fans, for you this match is important, for me, it is just another match. I'm hoping for a draw, minimum.

I still think the majority of Boro fans live in the Teesside area so I have to disagree with your opinion. I don't think this forum is a true reflection of where Boro fans live and is almost an expats forum in terms of location. I'm not saying anyone on here isn't a proper fan or anything like that but I think the majority of our support still lives on Teesside.

In my opinion anyone that says this isn't a derby is someone that doesn't really know their history, I'm aiming this mostly at the Sunderland fans, we know their game with Newcastle is the big one but this has always been a derby as well.

Sunderlands problem recently is their whole season has seamed to be focussed on beating Newcastle and finishing above them, they never seem to have any ambitions greater than that and they've dangled above the trapdoor virtually every season now since they got back into the premier league.

Had a dream we lost our next two away games, sorry guys. :(

If this becomes true your now banned from sleeping until May next year just to be safe

I personally don't see Sunderland as much of a derby as it is a grudge match. We're not close enough in proximity and they already have the Tyne/ Wear Derby to be getting on with.

Sunderland I just don't like

I personally don't see Sunderland as much of a derby as it is a grudge match. We're not close enough in proximity and they already have the Tyne/ Wear Derby to be getting on with.

Sunderland I just don't like

Agree Uwe. I know there's been a lot of debate on this, and does seem the Boro fans want it more of a derby than the Sunderland fans. Some lad on Twitter summed it up good the other day when he said we're the equivalent of Leicester to Derby/Forest, West Brom to Villa/Bham, Chelsea to ***nal/Spurs.

A grudge match, but not a true derby with history, despite bad blood between the fans.

Reports that Sunderland are gonna line up with O Shea and the lad from Chelsea at CB, with McNair and Rodwell in midfield.

Kone, Kaboul, Kirchoff, Cattermole all huge misses for them. I'd be gutted if we didn't beat them now, but it would be typical Boro if we get smashed tomoz.

I'm feeling confident. Sunderland are looking weakened at the minute and barring defoe have nowhere near the attacking players that stoke do - and we managed to keep them fairly quiet.

2-0 Boro. Gaston and Gibson to score

But that's just your own situation. Do you think the majority of Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle fans live and work outside the area? Of course they don't. My feeling stems from countless visits to both Roker and the Stadium of Light. I've had trouble every time I've been there and I have a lot of resent that stems from that. I know plenty of Mackems and there's plenty of banter to be had from that. I live in Leeds and it's similar there for me too.

Sunderland fans will tell you otherwise but I've had seats in the Boro end that are right next to the Sunderland fans and if that's how they behave on a weekly basis when Watford, Bournemouth and Palace visit then they all need to see psychologists.

It's a derby.

Derby matches were more relevant in the past,  In the days when you went back to work on the Monday you talked to people who lived near you, worked with you, supported different teams.

But I work in Leeds and I was born and raised in Middlesbrough; Eston, Acklam and Hemlington.  I delight in Leeds losing much more than Sunderland and Newcastle, because I work with fans of Leeds.  Along with Bradford, Huddersfield and Sheffield Wednesday fans, I won't go into the few people who 'support' Liverpool and Man Utd.

No doubt a few of you work with some Sunderland fans, for you this match is important, for me, it is just another match.  I'm hoping for a draw, minimum.

But that's just your own situation. Do you think the majority of Middlesbrough, Sunderland and Newcastle fans live and work outside the area? Of course they don't. My feeling stems from countless visits to both Roker and the Stadium of Light. I've had trouble every time I've been there and I have a lot of resent that stems from that. I know plenty of Mackems and there's plenty of banter to be had from that. I live in Leeds and it's similar there for me too.

Sunderland fans will tell you otherwise but I've had seats in the Boro end that are right next to the Sunderland fans and if that's how they behave on a weekly basis when Watford, Bournemouth and Palace visit then they all need to see psychologists.

It's a derby.

Agreed, its never been classed anything other than the tees/wear derby and it always will be.