• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally don't see Sunderland as much of a derby as it is a grudge match. We're not close enough in proximity and they already have the Tyne/ Wear Derby to be getting on with.

Sunderland I just don't like

Agree Uwe. I know there's been a lot of debate on this, and does seem the Boro fans want it more of a derby than the Sunderland fans. Some lad on Twitter summed it up good the other day when he said we're the equivalent of Leicester to Derby/Forest, West Brom to Villa/Bham, Chelsea to ***nal/Spurs.

A grudge match, but not a true derby with history, despite bad blood between the fans.

Not a true derby with history? We've played more games against Sunderland than any other club in our history. You make it sound like we are Hartlepool taking on Sunderland, we've had some epic battles against them over the years in cup games and games that have had a strong bearing on promotion and relegation.

I've lived up there and worked in and around Sunderland in the past and believe me this isn't an normal game like Stoke/Swansea etc despite what they say. They think it's funny to dismiss us as a smaller club or not a derby because they know it winds us up, when I've spoken to Sunderland fans honestly without the banter they'll admit this is the game they look out for when the fixtures come out (after the Newcastle game obviously).

I've seen them celebrate wins at our place like they've won the league in the past and that wasn't just winning a normal game of football.

I personally don't see Sunderland as much of a derby as it is a grudge match. We're not close enough in proximity and they already have the Tyne/ Wear Derby to be getting on with.

Agree Uwe. I know there's been a lot of debate on this, and does seem the Boro fans want it more of a derby than the Sunderland fans. Some lad on Twitter summed it up good the other day when he said we're the equivalent of Leicester to Derby/Forest, West Brom to Villa/Bham, Chelsea to ***nal/Spurs.

A grudge match, but not a true derby with history, despite bad blood between the fans.

Not a true derby with history? We've played more games against Sunderland than any other club in our history. You make it sound like we are Hartlepool taking on Sunderland, we've had some epic battles against them over the years in cup games and games that have had a strong bearing on promotion and relegation.

I've lived up there and worked in and around Sunderland in the past and believe me this isn't an normal game like Stoke/Swansea etc despite what they say. They think it's funny to dismiss us as a smaller club or not a derby because they know it winds us up, when I've spoken to Sunderland fans honestly without the banter they'll admit this is the game they look out for when the fixtures come out (after the Newcastle game obviously).

I've seen them celebrate wins at our place like they've won the league in the past and that wasn't just winning a normal game of football.

Aye, and I live next to the stadium of light and most of my extended family are mackems, many of which aren't that bothered.

I thin it's all about interpretation and past experiences, like Humpty said, he's had a lot of trouble at previous games therefore has bad feeling towards them so he sees it as a derby. I've been to Roker Park and SOL too, never had any problems, and I see it as less of a derby.

There's more added anticipation and tension than the average game definitely. But having lived in both Sunderland and Newcastle for many years, the hatred they have for each other is huge, it's not the same with us.

When we got promoted, I got the train back to Sunderland and went out with my Boro top on. Everyone was coming up to me shaking my hand saying they were chuffed to see Boro back in the big time. No hatred or spite from a single fan.

Just my experiences, like others have mentioned their experiences have changed their opinion.

Aye, and I live next to the stadium of light and most of my extended family are mackems, many of which aren't that bothered.

I thin it's all about interpretation and past experiences, like Humpty said, he's had a lot of trouble at previous games therefore has bad feeling towards them so he sees it as a derby. I've been to Roker Park and SOL too, never had any problems, and I see it as less of a derby.

There's more added anticipation and tension than the average game definitely. But having lived in both Sunderland and Newcastle for many years, the hatred they have for each other is huge, it's not the same with us.

When we got promoted, I got the train back to Sunderland and went out with my Boro top on. Everyone was coming up to me shaking my hand saying they were chuffed to see Boro back in the big time. No hatred or spite from a single fan.

Just my experiences, like others have mentioned their experiences have changed their opinion.

Fair enough everyone has their own experiences, you obviously know a nicer bunch of mackems. :)

In my experience I've never been to Roker park or the SOL and not saw disorder of some kind. There's definitely an edge to the game on the terraces whether you call it a derby or not. I agree it's not on the same level of hatred as Newcastle v Sunderland though I don't think anyone would really believe that.

Fair enough everyone has their own experiences, you obviously know a nicer bunch of mackems. :)

In my experience I've never been to Roker park or the SOL and not saw disorder of some kind. There's definitely an edge to the game on the terraces whether you call it a derby or not. I agree it's not on the same level of hatred as Newcastle v Sunderland though I don't think anyone would really believe that.

I agree mate. And I'm not saying there's not trouble, I think those that like to cause trouble will/have use our proximity as an excuse to cause a few scraps etc.

Either way I hope we smash them tomora. UTB!

I agree mate. And I'm not saying there's not trouble, I think those that like to cause trouble will/have use our proximity as an excuse to cause a few scraps etc.

Me too :)

Most of the trouble I've seen has been down to the police

I think it often is Rich. Over-policing often causes more problems than its worth. If you get treated like a caged animal, you're more likely to act like a caged animal!

I think it often is Rich. Over-policing often causes more problems than its worth. If you get treated like a caged animal, you're more likely to act like a caged animal!

Well yeah, if your IQ is less than average.

Well yeah, if your IQ is less than average.

Obvious comment alert.