• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually changed my mind twice because of that exact reason regarding Guzan. You're probably right. Changed my mind again :D

Can,t disagree with any of your analysis

Being high up in the gods sometimes has its benefits. The movement and one touch passing in the first half was an absolute joy to watch and Forshaw looked every inch a top player

Barragan has to be commended, to play for a new team in a different position to normal is hard enough but he has slotted in perfectly, obviously a team player because his exchange with Ayala when he came on showed just how much he was glad to go to right back

Great day, many more harder tests to come UTB

Like everyone, I thought Adomah was poor, but right at the end, when we needed him to kill the game off, he actually did it pretty well. Not enough to make his performance a decent one overall, but he did redeem himself a little.

My thoughts from watching on tv:

Guzan - 6 -Ive never watched Guzan to the extent where I can say how he nory plays but he was hitting every kick long and first time. Whether that is habit or instruction is debatable. At least he didnt miss or scuff any. Seemed good at organising and had a few shaky minutes but after playing in Villas defence last season he was bound to be nervous. He has been blamed for the goal but at least he made the initial save. He made a split second judgement on whether to push wide or try to hold and got it wrong.

Nsue - 6 - Got forward well in support of Stuani and even popped up on the left wing during a fluid attack! Lost the ball a few times and got lucky that Sunderland were too poor to punish us.

Gibson - 7.5 - did everything well and seems to have calmed down his long punts since the last game I watched. Brought the ball out of defence to good effect at times.

Barragan - 8 - seems to have that knack of knowing when to play out from the back and when to smash it to safety. Distributes well and looks an absolute steal. Lauded as a more defensive RB, made the switch and ghosted straight up the wing

Friend - 6 - made a few decent runs and did won some aerial duels but seemed to get shredded when actually 1 on 1. Seemed to hope his strength would outweight Januzai's pace and came off worse.

Clayton - 6.5 - chasing shadows at times but think thats where he misses Grant as they normally hunt in pairs. Decent with the ball and was sensible not to be rash after his first booking.

Forshaw - 8 -Cant remember anything particular about him defensively but he was the best possesion player on the park. That pass was so well hidden most of us didnt even see the option. Was still wriggling and keeping the ball in the dying minutes which helped keep us in possesion high up the pitch.

Downing - 7 - Anybody know where to find the speeds of players yesterday as it looked like he covered ground faster than anybody yesterday. Knows when to cross, go forward or keep possesion. Just looked like he doesnt have the bottle to take a man on.

Ramirez - 6.5 - Thought he did a lot without actually doing much. At times he was pushed up as our furthest forward player ( whether because we were trying to isolate a fullback against Negredo or utilise Ramirez's pace) but I like it best when he picks it up in space and moves forward with players around him as options.

Stuani - 7 - I hold my hands up to being puzzled at his inclusion. Won us the game with 2 goals but didnt contribute much else which is fine for a striker but I expect more all round play from someone playing rw. Still likes to try dribble through players but who cares THAT GOAL THOUGH!!!

Negredo - 6.5 - Didnt benefit from a period of having balls smashed up to him and should have done better when put through but heavy touch let him down. But he roamed and played it simple enough to keep us in possesion and was calm enough to square for Stuani.

Adomah - I dont really know what to say. Looks like he was trying to slow things down and see the game out, but it didnt really come off.

Nuge - pressured well and held defenders off well when he came on. Would like to see him given a more respectable opportunity at the end of games

Ayala - Good to see him back. Thought he was gonna go full Rambo at the end when he brought the ball out of defence

Like others pretty much agree with Humpty on the ratings , although a bit harsh on Brad as that first save was superb.

It is also good to see Downing back in his rightful home , maybe some of the doubters will start to give him a break .. Doubt it .

Just about to call my Sunderland supporting workmate to have a little chat!

My ratings very similar to yours this week, Humpty. Particularly on Ramirez, he's an exciting player and you can already tell he's going to be an important one for us this season. But he didn't have his best game yesterday, got crowded out a fair bit and seemed to struggle to really get involved as the game went on. He was by no means awful, though.

Did he have a knock in the second half, does anyone know? Was watching it at the pub and couldn't hear what was being said when he was taken off.

I think clayton is finding it harder without leadbitter. When leadbitter plays clayton is quite close to his man but with forshaw pushing on more clayton often has to be between two players so he gets to them a touch later. A big difference in the prem. I'd guess that's why karanka likes grant so much

Like others pretty much agree with Humpty on the ratings , although a bit harsh on Brad as that first save was superb.

It is also good to see Downing back in his rightful home , maybe some of the doubters will start to give him a break .. Doubt it .

Just about to call my Sunderland supporting workmate to have a little chat!

The Sunderland fans never stopped slating whatmore. But I thought he caused us no end of problems. I think it just shows if people around you continually point out every mistake a player makes then that's what people see

I think Humpty summed up my views. I think one concern i have at the moment is allowing players to have vast amounts of space when 25 yards out. Its the 2nd game I have noticed this where we are lucky we havent faced a Lampard/Gerrardesque type player who would relish the opportunities on offer.

4 points on the board though and a fair few of our players seem like they are making the step up. Promising early signs to the season.