oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sunderland (a) 2-1

I tell you what though I was his biggest critic last year but downing this year so far has been fantastic. his performance yesterday was so under dated just so calm on the ball

Him, Barragan, Forshaw, Gibson and Negredo have been my standout performers so far this season.

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep I know it's only 2 games but so far it's looking like the issue was definitely Downing not fitting into the Championship. He's looked much better in the PL so far, although I still think he has had chances to play a killer ball / whip a cross in and he's gone backwards instead (although that seems an entire team problem not just him). Way, way less often than last year though, definitely looks like he's taking more chances.

On a complete side note, where's Changing Times ? This forum is certainly all the more poorer for not having his analysis.

You're not right often Humpty but I feel you've nailed it this time  :cool:

Anyway I am here at the moment but I'm not stopping long, just time enough to dismiss your opinion as the words of a fool on another thread  ;)

Thanks for the kind words though  :P

Yep I know it's only 2 games but so far it's looking like the issue was definitely Downing not fitting into the Championship. He's looked much better in the PL so far, although I still think he has had chances to play a killer ball / whip a cross in and he's gone backwards instead (although that seems an entire team problem not just him). Way, way less often than last year though, definitely looks like he's taking more chances.

The difference between him and Ramirez in the number 10 role is still massive.  Downing still seems to be getting by on playing lots of safe passes.  He worked hard yesterday though and I thought he had more drive against Stoke than we saw for a lot last season.  I still haven't really seen any incisive stuff from him though?  Compare that with Adomah and Stuani and arguably they've both offered more already and Adomah barely looked like a footballer yesterday.

The difference between him and Ramirez in the number 10 role is still massive.  Downing still seems to be getting by on playing lots of safe passes.  He worked hard yesterday though and I thought he had more drive against Stoke than we saw for a lot last season.  I still haven't really seen any incisive stuff from him though?  Compare that with Adomah and Stuani and arguably they've both offered more already and Adomah barely looked like a footballer yesterday.

Yes no I agree on the number 10 I was thinking more of his role on the LW. Yeah he's still a bit safe.

I tell you what though I was his biggest critic last year but downing this year so far has been fantastic. his performance yesterday was so under dated  just so calm on the ball

Downing's was average against Stoke, didn't do much wrong yesterday, but fantastic, come on that's definitely an exaggeration.

I personally to a degree am all for keeping possession of the ball and passing it around for the obvious reasons, and to a point on Sunday we had a two goal cushion. It maybe frustrating for fans who believe goal scoring chances are not created, taken or made due to a safer approach but fans never take into consideration the players view of things, tiredness or the blatant fact of 3 opposition players against 1 of ours. 

I thought against a very ordinary Sunderland we snuffed out any worry of an equaliser by keeping great retention of the ball towards the end of the game. All things being equal at times I agree we need to move the ball quicker but we are feeling our way in this league but most importantly the manger is an ex defender and plays it cautiously rather than gung ho. Suits me but not all I understand that .......but I am not one of the keyboard warriors who have no shame in ripping into everything from Team selections to the managers man management skills. And then glorifying a good result.......hang on sorry no they try and still pull to bits the performance after a win.  

This time sir this is not directed at you please take that as it is.

Nsue concerned me a bit yesterday, as did Friend at first. I've got a feeling Nsue is going to get found out a bit in the Prem, if Jayden Gooch is getting the better of him, Eden Hazard etc are going to run rings round him.

Been really impressed with Barragan, I'd move him over to RB, and restore Ayala at CB.

Nsue concerned me a bit yesterday, as did Friend at first. I've got a feeling Nsue is going to get found out a bit in the Prem, if Jayden Gooch is getting the better of him, Eden Hazard etc are going to run rings round him.

Been really impressed with Barragan, I'd move him over to RB, and restore Ayala at CB.

I know what your saying but hazard can tear anyone apart on his day.. Luckily for us it's people of Goochs standard that he needs to be competent against. We will worry about a Rb that can contain the hazards of this league when we are stalwarts of the premiere league. Right now we just need a RB that can contain (a few here may be inaccurate) zaha, snodgrass, boyd, brunt, ibe, insert watfords lm, tadic, routlegde