oneBoro Forum

Football Manager 2017

Question; how the hell do you stop the opposition from scoring from crosses. I might as well play without full backs as they do nothing to stop the wingers and bloody Defoe is winning headers against Ayala and Gibson. There are so many crosses and they always find the opposition striker who scores.

And are anyone else missing more than half of their penalties? I think I've missed about two thirds of my pens.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I've somehow managed to qualify for the play-offs for the Euro Championships 2028

I play Cyprus in the Semi-final, win that and it's one more game for qualification

Cyprus are 40 places above me in the world rankings and i've only managed four wins in my whole time as manage, all against lower oppositions, although i did draw with cyprus a couple of years ago.

Ive got a really fast laptop and just put it on holiday and just play during the international fixtures for the majority, I can get a season done in around 2 and a half hours, it would be impossible to do the San Marino game otherwise.

Managed to beat Cyrpus 4-1 (inc. 2 penalties) and got drawn against Lituhania who i beat 1-0, qualifying for Euro 2028

Bad news is in my group i have France (1st) Portugal (8th) and Switzerland (20th)

It'll be a miracle if i manage a point

Only as far as the close of the transfer window for me, wasn't able to do much in terms of transfers with the small budget for Boro.

Nsue went out to Brighton for 4.5m, and Dimi sold for 200k, Nugent to Celtic for 1.4m but that was it for sales. Meijas out to Derby on loan for a monthly fee and full wages, and Husband to Norwich for the same.

Had a rush of injuries before the season started to my strikers - Negredo, Stuani and Gaston all out for the start of the season, so most of my incomings were just cover really. Picked up a bunch of free signings to add depth - Distin at centre-back, Fausto Rossi in midfield, Macheda as a striker. Zakkaria Labyad free for left-wing cover after a decent trial but then promptly got injured as soon as the deal was confirmed, so he's not really played yet.

Only fee I paid was for a cheap Brazilian winger, Jesus Datolo, to fill that injury spot, but he seems pretty good, and was only 70k.

Both Valdes and Guzan seem solid for goal. Chambers seems a miserable so-and-so and his ratings have been poor so far, Espinosa has been rubbish too despite it saying he's my best defender. Fabio seems quality, though. Further forward, Ramirez, Rhodes and Downing all seem rubbish so far, but Stuani seems awesome as either striker or raumdeuter. Jakupovic looks likely to oust Ramirez at this rate.

Sitting in seventh playing either 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-4.

What strategy are you using and player roles etc.? No matter what I do I'm getting hammered every game

Still early days for me, but I'm not conceding many, only conceded three against Leicester. I started out the season with 4-2-3-1 largely because of injuries to strikers, but with them back fit again I'm 4-2-4.

Best back four seems to be Barragan-Ayala-Gibson-Friend, but sometimes switching Chambers and Fabio in there. Espinosa has been doing really badly for me so Distin, who I picked up on a free, has been getting game time from the bench and in the cup. I'm often playing counter, focus on defensive positioning before games unless it's against a team low in the league, upping the tempo and pressing, and playing through the wings. Like I say, not far in so maybe my house of cards is still to come tumbling down, but neither conceding nor scoring too many.

I seem to have changed a small corner around mid december and until now (end january 2017). Got a few decent results on the spin and knocked City out of the FA Cup and a week later inflicted them their first league defeat of the season. I'm in 16th with 4 points to the dropzone however there is only about 10 points seperating 9th-19th. It's so tight.

I changed my tactics to 4-2-4 but with my full backs set as defending and an above medium defensive line. I always mark the wingers tight, hard tackles and pressing which has reduced goals from crosses. And It seems that I should always play attacking as I always go behind if I don't. Forshaw/CLayton are doing a very good job in the middle and Rhodes/Negredo are doing well up front. I'd really like to get more out of my wingers though. Both downing and Fischer seem ineffective on the left and I'd like a lot more from Traore on the right.

Can anyone recommend a left winger and a backup striker for this january window?

In january i sold

Stuani 3.6 mil

Bernardo 2.5 mil

Nugent 600 k

That puts my transfer budget at 6.5 mil and I have around a 100 k to spare on the wage budget. I can't seem to pick up any decent players though.

First season i found i couldn't attract any players that were better than championship rated by my scouts, luckily the new tactic i made is working a treat, pulled myself up to finish 17th in the first season, made i few signings over the summer and second season finished in 8th on 56 points, qualified for the knockout stages of the Euro Cup due to the FA and EFL cup winners both qualifying for europe through that route so lucky me, 8th place qualified for europe

No Major name signings, i don't have the available finances for that, just signed a lot of relatively unknown players for small fee's.

My new tactic focusses heavily on wing backs getting forward and whipping crosses in

My team heading into the new season (season number 3)

GK - Pau Lopez - GK- D

LB - Ruben Duarte - WB - A

CB - Rafael Toloi - CB - D

CB - Jonny Evans - CB - D

RB: Antonio Barragan - WB - A

CM- Jack Cork - CM - D

CM - Valerio Verre - DLP - S

AMR - Leon Bailey - IF - S

AMC - Javi Espinoza - AM - S

AML - Viktor Fischer - IF - S

ST - Saido Berahino - CF - S

Not many superstars in there at all, mainly just decent Prem players with a couple rated as good

I use a control setting with instructions of:

Play out of defence

Shorter Passing

Roam from positions

Prevent GK short distribution

Use tighter marking

Work ball into box

Look for overlap

Use offside trap

Close down more

Pass into space

Basically revolves around keeping possesion high up the pitch away from our goal and winning the ball back quickly and once again high up the pitch when we lose it, the tight marking helps guard against counter attacks, both Evans and Toloi are beasts in the air so can deal with most long balls that try and start counter attacks