oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Fulham (A) (EFL Cup Round 2) 1-2 aet

I don't think Fischer has been brought in to play on the wing, but I do believe he's been brought in to play on the left.

I've only limited exposure to the lad but my initial thoughts are that he'll do the job on the left that Stuani does on the right.

Based on what I saw in pre-season I think you're spot on.

Same here, I think he could make a few cameos at number 10 but he'll predominantly play from the left as a inside forward

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

By that, do we expect neither to play in the same XI?

I think there's definitely qualities he lacks that Stuani has, though. Physicality for a start. Stuani out there worked a last year at times due to the fact he was ready to make a run into the area to win headers. I can't particularly see Fischer winning any headers.

I think they'll end up in the same XI at some point.  If you think about Stuani, he moves inside without the ball rather than with it.  I mean generally you don't want him doing too much carrying of the ball do you because it's not his strength.  I'm still not sure if that was a shot on the weekend or just a really heavy touch ;)

I think Fischer may be better than him with the ball cutting inside and of course he will have the benefit of being on his strong foot when he does that.  Friend will continue to do his thing on the outside so we may get a different threat if he's got the confidence to carry the ball himself. If you were playing against us now I don't think you'd be too concerned about Downing cutting inside and moving into dangerous areas.  So I think Fischer may give us the ability to move inside with and without the ball whereas Stuani on the other side is really without the ball usually.  But I've only seen Fischer in a bit of pre-season so I could be talking ***.

I don't think Stoke is a good example of how Nugent would be 2nd choice to Negredo. We needed to replace Ramirez as he was knackered, losing influence and on a booking. I was certain he was going to get sent off. The only option, to recollection, was Nugent.

Aitor doesn't like using all 3 subs unless he's losing. He doesn't like it when options are taken away from him because of injuries. No doubt De Roon going off reminded him of that and he didn't want to risk bringing on a final sub (if that were indeed to be Rhodes) in case we had to go down to 10 men.

God knows what happened with Sunderland and Rhodes but I wouldn't have brought Rhodes on for Negredo there either, we needed Nugent on to use his high-energy approach, chasing people down and realistically could have done with him helping us get the ball up the pitch away from our own box.

In short, I think Nugent is perhaps the best sub of either of the 3 strikers. In fact, include Stuani in that if you want. But I wouldn't personally choose Nugent up front ahead of either Negredo or Rhodes.

I think Nugent is the best sub when we're defending and seeing a game out, Rhodes the best sub if we're looking to get a winner. Rhodes scored a couple off the bench during pre-season too (if I recall correctly) so he's always a danger.

On my way out to see this game now with my flatmate. Quite excited. Hoping to see Fischer, Rhodes and De Sart get some game time, and Dimi in goal too. But I expect Guzan to get another start.

Guzan; Nsue, Fry, Ayala, Fabio; De Sart, Forshaw; Adomah, Fischer, Reach; Rhodes is my guess

haha wow Rhodes still doesn't start. Definitely leaning to the "he's on the way out" camp now.

Shame, I'm one of his biggest fans.

Nugent was always going to start since he's going to be second fiddle to Negredo as things stand. Don't see Rhodes staying as 3rd choice though.

Really surprised Adomah doesn't feature tonight. Not even on the bench. Maybe he's had another bollocking from AK after his pathetic performance on Sunday.