oneBoro Forum

Jordan "Jock" Rhodes.

Boyd wasn't on 60k a week! He was also only here for a year regardless of what he was on. Digard wasn't on 85k a week either. About half as much for each of them.

I always try and post things from memory as I don't like people that Google things then pass it off as their knowledge. However I tried to find out where I may have read that and it seems my memory let me down again. Frickin Google :@

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Boyd wasn't on 60k a week!  He was also only here for a year regardless of what he was on.  Digard wasn't on 85k a week either.  About half as much for each of them.

Pretty sure it was more like £30-35k for each of them.

£85k for Digard, hahaha! :D

Didn't think so, the article could be saying that was part of the deal to PSG but it isn't clear.

Out of interest who do you think our highest ever paid player has been?

Good question. Is Stewy back up £70k p/w now were promoted unless you wanna count Negrado who's on £100k

Wheater was asked to leave in order to solve "cash flow problems" despite wanting to stay. It was stressed to him that it was in the clubs best interests for him to leave. That might be around the time that Barclay's Bank nearly took control of the club. Was it Phil Brown who commented about our financial troubles before a game against his team?. Preston?. My memory is sketchy.

Didn't think so, the article could be saying that was part of the deal to PSG but it isn't clear.

Out of interest who do you think our highest ever paid player has been?

Good question. Is Stewy back up £70k p/w now were promoted unless you wanna count Negrado who's on £100k

As Uwe says it's one of those two now.  If you mean before this then you're talking about the people you'd expect it to be but I think they were all on roughly the same or similar amounts.  Gary O'Neil I was told was higher than you might think and if people think Scott McDonald for 30k per week is too much then O'Neil's wages would probably make them cry!  That's if what I was told was correct mind.

Caley Shaun's faulty memory has brought back some rather painful ones for us. Serves us right, I suppose, for not keeping his renowned fellow Scot, Jordan Jock Rhodes, in the limelight.

Ever been had, guys? :D

Yet we smashed our transfer record under Southgate? Given what typicalbrough stated and i have no idea how he would know that, it was even more reckless of Strachan to go on the spending spree he did with the signings he made. He signed duds on long term contracts that rendered our ability to compete for promotion in the transfer market defunct.

The big money transfers stopped after Strachan and Mowbray was left to clean up the mess. When you're stuck with duds on long contracts, there isn't really much room for manoeuvre and it nearly sent this club in to the dark ages.

He didn't just sign duds and when he signed them he won't have known how it was going to turn out obviously.  Robson wasn't a dud.  Bailey initially wasn't a dud.  Even McDonald did ok to a certain extent, just not based on what he was being paid unfortunately.  Boyd yes a dud, Thomson because of the injuries was a dud and Lee Miller was his royal highness of dud. It's certainly fair to say that the biggest issue with Strachan was that his signings weren't up to it.  Our finances are a different story.

The big signings as you put it stopped because we had no money and that had nothing to do with Strachan.  As I've already said, he only spent the money we brought in from the sale of Johnson. There was nothing else to spend regardless of who was the manager, which is why we signed Danny Coyne, Mark Yeates and Leroy Lita following relegation.  

Mowbray cleaned nothing up at all. McDonald was paid off by Gibson, Arca's contract ran out, Hoyte was moved on after Mowbray had left.  That's three big earners right there.  You can add all of the other players left over following relegation as well whose contracts ran out or the players moved on. Bailey and McManus left when their contracts were up. None of this has anything to with Mowbray I'm afraid.  At best you can say he brought in Friend, Dimi, Leadbitter and Adomah but that's about it. He also bought in Juke for the equivalent we'd spent on Bailey, I don't remember him being a roaring success?  We turned down big money for Emnes for reasons that are beyond me.  I'm pretty sure Williams got his big contract while Mowbray was in charge?  That was really useful wasn't it.

The duds we were stuck with following relegation were a far bigger problem for us than those signings.  They cost us more and they guaranteed that we'd have next to no chance of bouncing straight back up at the point in time when we still had the parachute payments.  Strachan simply added to that problem, he certainly didn't create it.  In fact the way things had been handled before relegation was the issue.  Accumulating £100m worth of debt for a club whose 'assets' were mostly ageing players was not the smartest plan.  Add in a financial collapse and you're in trouble. Typicalbrough's comments on the bank are pretty much correct for what it's worth.  They weren't happy.

Talk about re-writing history :D

Its well known Mowbray reduced the wage bill, McDonald at one point actually admitted it didn't make financial sense to leave Boro £35 k a week unbelievable. Strachan brought in a load of bravehearts who were anything but. Bennett was sent out on loan and at one stage looked like he might be signing for Hartlepool or Darlo, Mowbray brought Bennett back played him and sold him for £3mill and replaced him with Friend.

Wee sarcastic Gordon Strachan was a total disaster at this club, wasted any money we had left by buying sub standard Scottish players, absolute clown of a manager wish him no luck with Scotland or any other team he goes on to manage.

It's not well known, it's just often repeated.  

Mowbray didn't really reduce the wage bill at all mate.  It was over £20m in two successive seasons while he was here until all the players I mentioned above left.  Then it dropped down to £16m before going back up to £20m and then I imagine going up again to whatever it was during the 2015/16 season.  We had a whole host of players on the books following relegation that would have been on decent Premier League money.  As they left the wage bill gradually reduced.  As the rest of them left and Strachans signings did as well it also lowered further still.  Then Gibson decided to go again and it went up when we started making some decent signings.  I think Mowbray in two different spells handled a difficult situation very well but then the rest of the time it wasn't so good.

I understand why people make this case for Mowbray.  You can certainly say he didn't add to the wage bill in his time here but saying he reduced it ignores what actually happened.  For the record our wage bill gradually reduced year on year from about 2005/2006 when it was about £38m.  There was a period where it didn't reduce by much for a year or two but by the time we were relegated it had gone down to £31m and by 2012 it was 21.5m - with all of Strachans signings still here other than Boyd and Killen I think.  It started going up again 2014/15.

Mowbray's hands were tied in the transfer market selling £3mill Bennett, £4 Wheater, and bringing in players from lower divisions, Strachan had blown our transfer budget and it was well publicised in the Gazette and by Mowbray himself that the wage bill had to be reduced, Mowbray may have lost the plot on the field, but honesty has always been one of his attributes, so I would have no reason to doubt his word.

Nope, everything happened as I said it happened.  Strachan was a terrible manager and was here a year longer than ideal but this idea that he was the cause of all our problems and Mowbray the miracle worker that solved them all is nonsense.

Nope, everything happened as I said it happened.  Strachan was a terrible manager and was here a year longer than ideal but this idea that he was the cause of all our problems and Mowbray the miracle worker that solved them all is nonsense.

You're whole argument is based on conjecture, so that in itself is nonsense .

Mowbray's hands were tied in the transfer market selling £3mill Bennett, £4 Wheater, and bringing in players from lower divisions, Strachan had blown our transfer budget and it was well publicised in the Gazette and by Mowbray himself that the wage bill had to be reduced, Mowbray may have lost the plot on the field, but honesty has always been one of his attributes, so I would have no reason to doubt his word.

Wheater sold for £2m and Bennett was a brilliant sale for us because he wasn't that good but had a great 6 months or so and we benefited from that.

There was no transfer budget to blow.  You need to understand that.  Why do you think our signings following relegation were Mark Yeates, Danny Coyne and Leroy Lita all on free transfers?  The money Strachan wasted, and he did waste it I have no problem with that, was all money brought in when Adam Johnson moved to Man City.  There was nothing else.  It doesn't matter who was the manager at that point, we had no transfer budget to speak of at this time.

We'd been reducing the wage bill for years before all of this.  If you look at the accounts that are available to anyone and then you combine that with our transfer history you can see quite easily what was going on.  You can also see why this was happening when you look at the debt.  Combine that with a global financial crisis and banks getting decidedly edgy about large sums of money being owed and that's it.

I've got no doubt that Mowbray in his words had to reduce the wage bill but really what that means is get rid of crap players some of which were Strachans signings and some were still on the books from the Premier League like Hoyte and Arca.  This was because the parachute payments had ended and because they were crap of course.  The wage bill itself has gone up over the last two years because Gibson has either decided to have another go or he was finally in a position to do it.  Look at the money we've spent over the last two years, are people really daft enough to think that this is because McDonald, McManus and Bailey left the club!  :D

You're whole argument is based on conjecture, so that in itself is nonsense .

My 'argument' is based on MFC's annual accounts, MFC's transfer history over same period and MFC's squad lists over the same period.  All factual I'm afraid.

My opinion on the players isn't factual of course, that bit is down to me.  Robson was a canny player I don't think many people would disagree with that? McDonald was a decent player but he cost far too much.  Bailey was very good for a year under Mowbray but appears to be a bit of a ***. Thomson when he was fit looked like a decent player but was injured all the time so was a complete waste of money.  Boyd was a flat track bully we shouldn't have gone near but was gone after a year.  McManus was a carthorse.  Miller is one of the most ridiculous signings we've ever made and I won't say any more about that one cos I think it's a bit dodgy.  That's the bulk of Strachan's transfers and where the money was spent.  Some of those players were part of squads that were in and around the top 2 for half a season a couple of years in a row before falling away.  They can't all have been terrible players. 

It's a fact that having been relegated we only made three free transfer signings - why do you think that was?  It's a fact that we only spent money because AJ was leaving for Man City - why do you think that was?  It's a fact that our wage bill had been decreasing since about 2005/6 - why do you think that was?  It's a fact that our wage bill in the last set of accounts was at the same level as it was when Mowbray apparently had to reduce it - what do you think that means?  I thinkuOur wage bill went up again last season and my opinion is that when they accounts are shown for this past year they'll show this.  It's also a fact that when the remaining Strachan players left we didn't suddenly start splashing the cash - we added a few players like Adomah, Butterfield, Whitehead, Kamara but that was it.  Look at what we've done over the last two seasons, it had nothing to do with just 3 players leaving the club.

Wheater sold for £2m and Bennett was a brilliant sale for us because he wasn't that good but had a great 6 months or so and we benefited from that.

There was no transfer budget to blow.  You need to understand that.  Why do you think our signings following relegation were Mark Yeates, Danny Coyne and Leroy Lita all on free transfers?  The money Strachan wasted, and he did waste it I have no problem with that, was all money brought in when Adam Johnson moved to Man City.  There was nothing else.  It doesn't matter who was the manager at that point, we had no transfer budget to speak of at this time.

We'd been reducing the wage bill for years before all of this.  If you look at the accounts that are available to anyone and then you combine that with our transfer history you can see quite easily what was going on.  You can also see why this was happening when you look at the debt.  Combine that with a global financial crisis and banks getting decidedly edgy about large sums of money being owed and that's it.

I've got no doubt that Mowbray in his words had to reduce the wage bill but really what that means is get rid of crap players some of which were Strachans signings and some were still on the books from the Premier League like Hoyte and Arca.  This was because the parachute payments had ended and because they were crap of course.  The wage bill itself has gone up over the last two years because Gibson has either decided to have another go or he was finally in a position to do it.  Look at the money we've spent over the last two years, are people really daft enough to think that this is because McDonald, McManus and Bailey left the club!  :D

You say there was no transfer budget to blow then in your next sentence state the money Strachan wasted and he did waste it, how can he waste money on transfers if there was no money.

Mowbray in the Telegraph " I had to make some horrible decisions. We had to get players out, I had to say to them look don't get upset, but we've got to tout you around. I had a list of players with their wages on it, and every decision was made with  the budget in mind. You only have to look at the clubs who've been in League 1 to see what damage is done when the money dries up"

" The chairman spent £20 mill last season to try and get back up .We couldn't sustain the squad  we had. We had to lose the experienced players on the big money".

If that's not cutting the wage bill then I don't  know what is :D