oneBoro Forum

Jordan "Jock" Rhodes.

'Destroyed our finances' is a bit of a liberal description. Before Strachan came in our finances were manageable. He brought in players with no resale value for high wages on long contracts for relatively big fees. He crippled our previously stable ability to sign players for what was basically 3/4's of Mowbray's tenure. That was until Mowbray restructured.

Strachan was a *** disaster at every level.

I don't think it's as simple as that. The wage bill was pretty high when he took over.  Just look at the squad he inherited for an example of why this was the case.  It was only manageable because we were still getting parachute payments.  O'Neil was on a fortune, Arca, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Wheater, Lita, Pogatez, Riggot, Digard were all on decent money. 

McDonald was on big money for the Championship and Boyd was on decent money but Boyd was only here for a year and then he left so he could hardly have crippled us.  He was just crap for a season and then ***ed off thankfully.  Robson was a decent signing, Bailey was ok for a year but neither of them were on big money like the other two or like the other players that were already here and the same goes for McManus and Thomson as I understand it.  In terms of transfer fees, he spent what we brought in by selling Johnson a couple of months after he took over as manager essentially.

I don't know what you are referring to by our stable ability to sign players?  We signed Mark Yeates, Danny Coyne and Leroy Lita on free transfers following relegation - what stable ability does that reflect?  Were those guys the players to shoot us back to the Premier League?  I don't think we had any ability to sign players until we sold Adam Johnson to Man City and if Strachan hadn't been our manager we'd have spent £4m of that signing Sean St Ledger apparently!  Admittedly you can make a case that one crap player is better than 4 or 5 but the end result is still us in the Championship with no money to spend.

The wage bill at the point that McDonald, McManus and Bailey left (and Arca, Bikey and a few months later Hoyte) was £20m.  At the end of 2009 just after Strachan had been appointed but before he'd signed anyone it was £31m.  The wage bill in the summer of 2015 was £20m.  The wage bill we were promoted with in the summer of 2016 was almost certainly higher than that.  The issue with Strachan was that he signed some crap players and yes they were paid too much but ultimately it didn't cripple us financially.  We were stuffed before he ever arrived, he simply continued that as did Mowbray believe it or not.  When Gibson decided to get serious again as the financial climate improved none of that really mattered, the wage bill started go back up and then so did we. 

So Strachan was useless for us but the idea that his year here somehow nearly destroyed us just doesn't stack up.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Our finances were in trouble when McLaren left. We'd signed people with no resale value and were paying over the top wages to old pros.

Barclays Bank three times refused to sanction the bond to sign Didier Digard. At one point when Southgate was gaffa the bank nearly tool control of the club.

Yet we smashed our transfer record under Southgate? Given what typicalbrough stated and i have no idea how he would know that, it was even more reckless of Strachan to go on the spending spree he did with the signings he made. He signed duds on long term contracts that rendered our ability to compete for promotion in the transfer market defunct.

The big money transfers stopped after Strachan and Mowbray was left to clean up the mess. When you're stuck with duds on long contracts, there isn't really much room for manoeuvre and it nearly sent this club in to the dark ages.

Its well known Mowbray reduced the wage bill, McDonald at one point actually admitted it didn't make financial sense to leave Boro £35 k a week unbelievable. Strachan brought in a load of bravehearts who were anything but. Bennett was sent out on loan and at one stage looked like he might be signing for Hartlepool or Darlo, Mowbray brought Bennett back played him and sold him for £3mill and replaced him with Friend.

Wee sarcastic Gordon Strachan was a total disaster at this club, wasted any money we had left by buying sub standard Scottish players, absolute clown of a manager wish him no luck with Scotland or any other team he goes on to manage.

Just looked at the 27 man Scotiish squad and only six of them are from the EPL and quite frankly I would not have any of them in the Boro squad, Jordan, I think you are well out of it frankly.

Strachan has been leaving Rhodes out of Scottish squads before he came to us.

I went to the Plymouth game when he had not long been in, we stunk and I couldnt face it again whilst he was the manager.

'Destroyed our finances' is a bit of a liberal description. Before Strachan came in our finances were manageable. He brought in players with no resale value for high wages on long contracts for relatively big fees. He crippled our previously stable ability to sign players for what was basically 3/4's of Mowbray's tenure. That was until Mowbray restructured.

I don't think it's as simple as that. The wage bill was pretty high when he took over.  Just look at the squad he inherited for an example of why this was the case.  It was only manageable because we were still getting parachute payments.  O'Neil was on a fortune, Arca, Aliadiere, Hoyte, Wheater, Lita, Pogatez, Riggot, Digard were all on decent money. 

McDonald was on big money for the Championship and Boyd was on decent money but Boyd was only here for a year and then he left so he could hardly have crippled us.  He was just crap for a season and then *** off thankfully.  Robson was a decent signing, Bailey was ok for a year but neither of them were on big money like the other two or like the other players that were already here and the same goes for McManus and Thomson as I understand it.  In terms of transfer fees, he spent what we brought in by selling Johnson a couple of months after he took over as manager essentially.

I don't know what you are referring to by our stable ability to sign players?  We signed Mark Yeates, Danny Coyne and Leroy Lita on free transfers following relegation - what stable ability does that reflect?  Were those guys the players to shoot us back to the Premier League?  I don't think we had any ability to sign players until we sold Adam Johnson to Man City and if Strachan hadn't been our manager we'd have spent £4m of that signing Sean St Ledger apparently!  Admittedly you can make a case that one crap player is better than 4 or 5 but the end result is still us in the Championship with no money to spend.

The wage bill at the point that McDonald, McManus and Bailey left (and Arca, Bikey and a few months later Hoyte) was £20m.  At the end of 2009 just after Strachan had been appointed but before he'd signed anyone it was £31m.  The wage bill in the summer of 2015 was £20m.  The wage bill we were promoted with in the summer of 2016 was almost certainly higher than that.  The issue with Strachan was that he signed some crap players and yes they were paid too much but ultimately it didn't cripple us financially.  We were stuffed before he ever arrived, he simply continued that as did Mowbray believe it or not.  When Gibson decided to get serious again as the financial climate improved none of that really mattered, the wage bill started go back up and then so did we. 

So Strachan was useless for us but the idea that his year here somehow nearly destroyed us just doesn't stack up.

3.5 mill for McDonald £2mill for Thompson £1.5 mill Mcmanus, not forgetting his other Scottish signings, McDonald on £35k a week and Boyd on a reputed 25 to 30k a week god knows what contracts he gave the others, if he didn't destroy us he had a bloody good go.

McDonald was on big money for the Championship and Boyd was on decent money but Boyd was only here for a year and then he left so he could hardly have crippled us.  He was just crap for a season and then *** off thankfully.  Robson was a decent signing, Bailey was ok for a year but neither of them were on big money like the other two or like the other players that were already here and the same goes for McManus and Thomson as I understand it.  In terms of transfer fees, he spent what we brought in by selling Johnson a couple of months after he took over as manager essentially.

3.5 mill for McDonald £2mill for Thompson £1.5 mill Mcmanus, not forgetting his other Scottish signings, McDonald on £35k a week and Boyd on a reputed 25 to 30k a week god knows what contracts he gave the others, if he didn't destroy us he had a bloody good go.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Boyd was on £60k a week

I'm sure I read somewhere that Boyd was on £60k a week

If the £60k a weeks right that is unbelievable, Strachan must have fell on his head, and Strachan must have caught Gibbo when he was drunk for him to sanction that.

Yet we smashed our transfer record under Southgate? Given what typicalbrough stated and i have no idea how he would know that, it was even more reckless of Strachan to go on the spending spree he did with the signings he made. He signed duds on long term contracts that rendered our ability to compete for promotion in the transfer market defunct.

The big money transfers stopped after Strachan and Mowbray was left to clean up the mess. When you're stuck with duds on long contracts, there isn't really much room for manoeuvre and it nearly sent this club in to the dark ages.

He didn't just sign duds and when he signed them he won't have known how it was going to turn out obviously.  Robson wasn't a dud.  Bailey initially wasn't a dud.  Even McDonald did ok to a certain extent, just not based on what he was being paid unfortunately.  Boyd yes a dud, Thomson because of the injuries was a dud and Lee Miller was his royal highness of dud. It's certainly fair to say that the biggest issue with Strachan was that his signings weren't up to it.  Our finances are a different story.

The big signings as you put it stopped because we had no money and that had nothing to do with Strachan.  As I've already said, he only spent the money we brought in from the sale of Johnson. There was nothing else to spend regardless of who was the manager, which is why we signed Danny Coyne, Mark Yeates and Leroy Lita following relegation.  

Mowbray cleaned nothing up at all. McDonald was paid off by Gibson, Arca's contract ran out, Hoyte was moved on after Mowbray had left.  That's three big earners right there.  You can add all of the other players left over following relegation as well whose contracts ran out or the players moved on. Bailey and McManus left when their contracts were up. None of this has anything to with Mowbray I'm afraid.  At best you can say he brought in Friend, Dimi, Leadbitter and Adomah but that's about it. He also bought in Juke for the equivalent we'd spent on Bailey, I don't remember him being a roaring success?  We turned down big money for Emnes for reasons that are beyond me.  I'm pretty sure Williams got his big contract while Mowbray was in charge?  That was really useful wasn't it.

The duds we were stuck with following relegation were a far bigger problem for us than those signings.  They cost us more and they guaranteed that we'd have next to no chance of bouncing straight back up at the point in time when we still had the parachute payments.  Strachan simply added to that problem, he certainly didn't create it.  In fact the way things had been handled before relegation was the issue.  Accumulating £100m worth of debt for a club whose 'assets' were mostly ageing players was not the smartest plan.  Add in a financial collapse and you're in trouble. Typicalbrough's comments on the bank are pretty much correct for what it's worth.  They weren't happy.

He didn't just sign duds and when he signed them he won't have known how it was going to turn out obviously.  Robson wasn't a dud.  Bailey initially wasn't a dud.  Even McDonald did ok to a certain extent, just not based on what he was being paid unfortunately.  Boyd yes a dud, Thomson because of the injuries was a dud and Lee Miller was his royal highness of dud. It's certainly fair to say that the biggest issue with Strachan was that his signings weren't up to it.  Our finances are a different story.

The big signings as you put it stopped because we had no money and that had nothing to do with Strachan.  As I've already said, he only spent the money we brought in from the sale of Johnson. There was nothing else to spend regardless of who was the manager, which is why we signed Danny Coyne, Mark Yeates and Leroy Lita following relegation.  

Mowbray cleaned nothing up at all. McDonald was paid off by Gibson, Arca's contract ran out, Hoyte was moved on after Mowbray had left.  That's three big earners right there.  You can add all of the other players left over following relegation as well whose contracts ran out or the players moved on. Bailey and McManus left when their contracts were up. None of this has anything to with Mowbray I'm afraid.  At best you can say he brought in Friend, Dimi, Leadbitter and Adomah but that's about it. He also bought in Juke for the equivalent we'd spent on Bailey, I don't remember him being a roaring success?  We turned down big money for Emnes for reasons that are beyond me.  I'm pretty sure Williams got his big contract while Mowbray was in charge?  That was really useful wasn't it.

The duds we were stuck with following relegation were a far bigger problem for us than those signings.  They cost us more and they guaranteed that we'd have next to no chance of bouncing straight back up at the point in time when we still had the parachute payments.  Strachan simply added to that problem, he certainly didn't create it.  In fact the way things had been handled before relegation was the issue.  Accumulating £100m worth of debt for a club whose 'assets' were mostly ageing players was not the smartest plan.  Add in a financial collapse and you're in trouble. Typicalbrough's comments on the bank are pretty much correct for what it's worth.  They weren't happy.

Welcome back CT :)

Our finances were in trouble when McLaren left. We'd signed people with no resale value and were paying over the top wages to old pros.

Barclays Bank three times refused to sanction the bond to sign Didier Digard. At one point when Southgate was gaffa the bank nearly tool control of the club.

According to Wikipedia Digard was on 85k a week, that's surely not right is it?

Its well known Mowbray reduced the wage bill, McDonald at one point actually admitted it didn't make financial sense to leave Boro £35 k a week unbelievable. Strachan brought in a load of bravehearts who were anything but. Bennett was sent out on loan and at one stage looked like he might be signing for Hartlepool or Darlo, Mowbray brought Bennett back played him and sold him for £3mill and replaced him with Friend.

Wee sarcastic Gordon Strachan was a total disaster at this club, wasted any money we had left by buying sub standard Scottish players, absolute clown of a manager wish him no luck with Scotland or any other team he goes on to manage.

It's not well known, it's just often repeated.  

Mowbray didn't really reduce the wage bill at all mate.  It was over £20m in two successive seasons while he was here until all the players I mentioned above left.  Then it dropped down to £16m before going back up to £20m and then I imagine going up again to whatever it was during the 2015/16 season.  We had a whole host of players on the books following relegation that would have been on decent Premier League money.  As they left the wage bill gradually reduced.  As the rest of them left and Strachans signings did as well it also lowered further still.  Then Gibson decided to go again and it went up when we started making some decent signings.  I think Mowbray in two different spells handled a difficult situation very well but then the rest of the time it wasn't so good.

I understand why people make this case for Mowbray.  You can certainly say he didn't add to the wage bill in his time here but saying he reduced it ignores what actually happened.  For the record our wage bill gradually reduced year on year from about 2005/2006 when it was about £38m.  There was a period where it didn't reduce by much for a year or two but by the time we were relegated it had gone down to £31m and by 2012 it was 21.5m - with all of Strachans signings still here other than Boyd and Killen I think.  It started going up again 2014/15.

Boyd wasn't on 60k a week! He was also only here for a year regardless of what he was on. Digard wasn't on 85k a week either. About half as much for each of them.