oneBoro Forum

Jordan "Jock" Rhodes.

CT states clearly where the money to burn came from for Strachan though..

CT also clearly states that Mowbray didn't really reduce the wage bill.

The interview Mowbray conducted with the Telegraph confirms this, Its Mowbray's words not my opinion.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

You say there was no transfer budget to blow then in your next sentence state the money Strachan wasted and he did waste it, how can he waste money on transfers if there was no money.

Mowbray in the Telegraph " I had to make some horrible decisions. We had to get players out, I had to say to them look don't get upset, but we've got to tout you around. I had a list of players with their wages on it, and every decision was made with  the budget in mind. You only have to look at the clubs who've been in League 1 to see what damage is done when the money dries up"

" The chairman spent £20 mill last season to try and get back up .We couldn't sustain the squad  we had. We had to lose the experienced players on the big money".

If that's not cutting the wage bill then I don't  know what is :D

Rather than basing your opinion on a quote by a manager trying to justify his job, go and take a look at the annual accounts.  Then go and take a look at our transfer activity.  It's all there for anyone to see who actually wants to see it for themselves.

There was no transfer budget following relegation.  Strachan was allowed to spend the money we got from selling AJ in the January. That isn't what I'd call a transfer budget.  Ask yourself why we were unable to spend anything before Strachan had arrived. There's nothing difficult to understand about that.  I've already said some of his signings were crap but blaming Strachan for our financial position back then is like blaming a guy that throws a Molotov cocktail into an already burning house.  

The wage bill was being cut before Mowbray got the job.  It was being cut from 2005/6 onwards. Strachan added to the wage bill with his signings but the overall wage bill had reduced as we sold various players so it was continually coming down.  After Strachan left this continued as we moved on players like Gary O'Neil who were on far more than McDonald was.  We had players like Riggott still on the books, Aliadiere, Arca, Hoyte.  I think Pogatez was, Digard as well, I know he was out on loan but were we still paying some of his wages?  We sold Bennett - who wasn't a big earner at all.  We let Taylor go because we apparently couldn't give him the money he wanted - Rhys Williams got a contract that from what I was told was far higher than Taylor wanted. We had a big offer for Emnes that we rejected but we were apparently desperate for money.  So Strachan had financially ruined us but we could turn down big offers for players and give nice big contracts out? 

The biggest issue we had, well two issues were as follows.  The first was the loss of the parachute payments.  The second and most important was whatever it was that was holding Gibson back. Whether he was stretched too far financially himself or he'd just lost some of the motivation.  You look at what we've done in the last two years.  The wage bill went up each season.  We spent more money on transfer fees last season than we have in any season in our entire history barring one or perhaps two.  Gibson either wasn't in a position to back Mowbray or he didn't believe in him enough to do it more than he did.  The financial position of the club wasn't much better over the last two years than it was in the previous two although the year before last year our income was greater but not to the extent that the spending last season can be explained.

CT states clearly where the money to burn came from for Strachan though..

CT also clearly states that Mowbray didn't really reduce the wage bill.

The interview Mowbray conducted with the Telegraph confirms this, Its Mowbray's words not my opinion.

I guess Tomlin really did have a poorly tummy then  :rolleyes:

You say there was no transfer budget to blow then in your next sentence state the money Strachan wasted and he did waste it, how can he waste money on transfers if there was no money.

Mowbray in the Telegraph " I had to make some horrible decisions. We had to get players out, I had to say to them look don't get upset, but we've got to tout you around. I had a list of players with their wages on it, and every decision was made with  the budget in mind. You only have to look at the clubs who've been in League 1 to see what damage is done when the money dries up"

" The chairman spent £20 mill last season to try and get back up .We couldn't sustain the squad  we had. We had to lose the experienced players on the big money".

If that's not cutting the wage bill then I don't  know what is :D

Rather than basing your opinion on a quote by a manager trying to justify his job, go and take a look at the annual accounts.  Then go and take a look at our transfer activity.  It's all there for anyone to see who actually wants to see it for themselves.

There was no transfer budget following relegation.  Strachan was allowed to spend the money we got from selling AJ in the January. That isn't what I'd call a transfer budget.  Ask yourself why we were unable to spend anything before Strachan had arrived. There's nothing difficult to understand about that.  I've already said some of his signings were crap but blaming Strachan for our financial position back then is like blaming a guy that throws a Molotov cocktail into an already burning house.  

The wage bill was being cut before Mowbray got the job.  It was being cut from 2005/6 onwards. Strachan added to the wage bill with his signings but the overall wage bill had reduced as we sold various players so it was continually coming down.  After Strachan left this continued as we moved on players like Gary O'Neil who were on far more than McDonald was.  We had players like Riggott still on the books, Aliadiere, Arca, Hoyte.  I think Pogatez was, Digard as well, I know he was out on loan but were we still paying some of his wages?  We sold Bennett - who wasn't a big earner at all.  We let Taylor go because we apparently couldn't give him the money he wanted - Rhys Williams got a contract that from what I was told was far higher than Taylor wanted. We had a big offer for Emnes that we rejected but we were apparently desperate for money.  So Strachan had financially ruined us but we could turn down big offers for players and give nice big contracts out? 

The biggest issue we had, well two issues were as follows.  The first was the loss of the parachute payments.  The second and most important was whatever it was that was holding Gibson back. Whether he was stretched too far financially himself or he'd just lost some of the motivation.  You look at what we've done in the last two years.  The wage bill went up each season.  We spent more money on transfer fees last season than we have in any season in our entire history barring one or perhaps two.  Gibson either wasn't in a position to back Mowbray or he didn't believe in him enough to do it more than he did.  The financial position of the club wasn't much better over the last two years than it was in the previous two although the year before last year our income was greater but not to the extent that the spending last season can be explained.

Manager trying to justify he's job, interview with the Telegraph took place 28th October 2011, but your right and Mowbray must be  dishonest.  Yours is opinion, Mowbrays interview is  fact from the manager who has the facts not my opinion.

But hey perhaps the interview didn't take place at all and you think your right again. nothing unusual there.

wtf CT's point is entirely based on the NUMBERS that are released yearly.

They are more than just "opinion". I get some people just like to argue with CT (hell who doesn't) but you're mad if you think he's just spouting opinions here.

Manager trying to justify he's job, interview with the Telegraph took place 28th October 2011, but your right and Mowbray must be  dishonest.  Yours is opinion, Mowbrays interview is  fact from the manager who has the facts not my opinion.

But hey perhaps the interview didn't take place at all and you think your right again. nothing unusual there.

Karanka said Tomlin had stomach pains but he was lying wasn't he? However Mowbray has said this so therefore it must be true? Managers say all kinds of crap in interviews, generally to make themselves look better.  Justifying his job was the wrong phrase though you're right about that.  He was making it look as hard as possible so that he would look as good as he possibly could. 

All of what I wrote other than my opinion on players is fact.  It's all publicly available information. The wage bill was being reduced long before Mowbray took over - this is a fact not an opinion.  Mowbray had little to do with our wage bill being reduced in his time here - this is a fact not an opinion.  We only sold THREE players for fees while he was here - Bennett (not a big earner), Wheater and Lita. None of those were Strachan signings.  Other players that left went when their contracts ended or were basically asked to bugger off like Gary O'Neil who was our highest paid player in the Championship over this period on far more than McDonald and again had nothing to do with Strachan.  Two of the bigger earners were Arca and Hoyte.  Arca left when his contract finished and Hoyte left only after Mowbray had gone.  Neither of them were Strachan signings.  

I'm not absolving Strachan of blame.  I'm saying we were screwed before he took over.  Look at the squad he inherited and consider that we were paying more for that than the squad that just took us up!  It was ***e.  But as I also said, you've got to ask yourself why the club was suddenly able to spend lots of money adding players and why we made no effort to strengthen following relegation.

You see, all we had to do to bring CT back for good was hang a little bit of BS out on a fishing rod and he'd be too tempted to come back and tell people they're wrong. :D

And yes, that is precisely what I was doing. :angel:

They are more than just "opinion". I get some people just like to argue with CT (hell who doesn't) but you're mad if you think he's just spouting opinions here.

I'm not spouting opinions either, I've stated an interview that took place with Mogga on 28th October 2011 with quotes regards to cutting the wage bill that CT appears to have dismissed, Its as good as saying the manager is telling untruths, Mowbray was given the list with the players wages on.

I'm not spouting opinions either, I've stated an interview that took place with Mogga on 28th October 2011 with quotes regards to cutting the wage bill that CT appears to have dismissed, Its as good as saying the manager is telling untruths, Mowbray was given the list with the players wages on.

A quote from a man that is always going to try and make himself look better is by nature less trustworthy than pure figures. Just the way it is, pal.

A quote from a man that is always going to try and make himself look better is by nature less trustworthy than pure figures. Just the way it is, pal.

For a manager trying to justify his job he must have spun a good yarn, he was interviewed by the Telegraph October 2011 and was sacked October 2013,interview straight from the horses mouth not he said she said and that is exactly the way it is like it or not.

Mowbray is noted for he's honesty that's why the chairman said it was one of his hard decisions to sack him. Slaven called Mowbray one of the most honest men he has ever met, I'll make my judgement on people in the game who know him. if a few on here dispute he's honesty it I can live with that.

For a manager trying to justify his job he must have spun a good yarn, he was interviewed by the Telegraph October 2011 and was sacked October 2013,interview straight from the horses mouth not he said she said and that is exactly the way it is like it or not.

Mowbray is noted for he's honesty that's why the chairman said it was one of his hard decisions to sack him. Slaven called Mowbray one of the most honest men he has ever met, I'll make my judgement on people in the game who know him. if a few on here dispute he's honesty it I can live with that.

Not what I said.

So you're going to ignore facts and numbers for blind loyalty to Mowbray.

Ok; you're just mad.

Not what I said.

Ok; you're just mad.

I have no blind loyalty to Mowbray, I was one fan who said he'd lost the plot and had to go different thread. I haven't seen the numbers but I've read  the interview which has been totally dismissed by you and CT. A person who isn't telling it like it is, is a liar, which is something Mowbray has never been accused of in his playing or managerial career, so the interview is there for anyone to read, if you think Mowbray's not telling the truth then you and your buddy have made your opinion on Mowbray's character.

I humbly apologise for having the audacity to having a different view to CT on the matter, will try hard not to do it again.

Not what I said.

Ok; you're just mad.

I have no blind loyalty to Mowbray, I was one fan who said he'd lost the plot and had to go different thread. I haven't seen the numbers but I've read  the interview which has been totally dismissed by you and CT. A person who isn't telling it like it is, is a liar, which is something Mowbray has never been accused of in his playing or managerial career, so the interview is there for anyone to read, if you think Mowbray's not telling the truth then you and your buddy have made your opinion on Mowbray's character.

I humbly apologise for having the audacity to having a different view to CT on the matter, will try hard not to do it again.

It hasn't been totally dismissed by me and CT. I completely accept he said that.

HOWEVER you can't possibly claim CT is wrong when his entire argument is based on publicly available figures.

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AiFzqi4NS5aRgYti6KA6nPs96DU9qg

Me and my dad ( God rest him) with Mark Venus a friend of mine  (loves horse racing) he invited me to Rockcliffe for the day.

Tony Mowbray was under sever restrictions with funding. Also Mark told me the academy generation at that time was average basically meaning they were not any Gems a***st them.

Not what I said.

Ok; you're just mad.

It hasn't been totally dismissed by me and CT. I completely accept he said that.

HOWEVER you can't possibly claim CT is wrong when his entire argument is based on publicly available figures.

Never mentioned CT was wrong, when I quoted the interview from Mowbray, this was a manager trying to justify his job according to CT, 2 years before he was sacked.