oneBoro Forum

Jordan "Jock" Rhodes.

Rhodes will have been on a decent promotion wage rise so that will probably reduce the fee that we could get for him. He got vital goals in our promotion, which we could easily have not been promoted without, so the transfer worked out for us even if we end up losing money on him. January is a more inflated window so that will help us get a better price than in the previous window.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

We'll definitely get offers for him in January, he's a proven Championship striker who will score goals in plenty of team's systems, he just can't do it in ours.

Come on with regard to can't do it Rhodes hasn't been given a chance one way or other, if Rhodes does go we better have a decent replacement lined up because relying on Negredo & Nugent doesn't fill me with confidence.

We'll definitely get offers for him in January, he's a proven Championship striker who will score goals in plenty of team's systems, he just can't do it in ours.

Come on with regard to can't do it Rhodes hasn't been given a chance one way or other, if Rhodes does go we better have a decent replacement lined up because relying on Negredo & Nugent doesn't fill me with confidence.

We've been ok without him so far.

He'll leave on loan and we won't miss him. He's never been able to play in our system. No idea why or who bought him but they clearly didn't do their research. We need to stop buying players who can't play in our system otherwise it's just wasting money.

He'll leave on loan and we won't miss him. He's never been able to play in our system. No idea why or who bought him but they clearly didn't do their research. We need to stop buying players who can't play in our system otherwise it's just wasting money.

It's funny how different people see different things. I think what you said just there is totally wrong. I think JR might have struggled at first, but I think he adapted to "our system" pretty well byt the end of last season. I think he can play it perfectly well. People saying that he can't hold the ball up and the like is complete nonsense. Nor could Negredo for much of Saturday's game because the ball was being hoofed twenty feet above his head.

As for "our system".... it's pretty sh**e to be fair. Doesn't make for attractive viewing or exciting football.

Still, it's all still works in progress at the moment, and hopefully we are evolving.

UTB !

It's funny how different people see different things. I think what you said just there is totally wrong. I think JR might have struggled at first, but I think he adapted to "our system" pretty well byt the end of last season. I think he can play it perfectly well. People saying that he can't hold the ball up and the like is complete nonsense. Nor could Negredo for much of Saturday's game because the ball was being hoofed twenty feet above his head.

As for "our system".... it's pretty sh**e to be fair. Doesn't make for attractive viewing or exciting football.

Still, it's all still works in progress at the moment, and hopefully we are evolving.

UTB !

Yeh with our system, Rhodes probably would be better off in a more attack minded set up where he'd do what he's always done score goals.

UTB !

Just because something isn't exciting, doesn't make it sh**e. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, because we've improved year on year since this system was implemented, that it is a successful way of playing. If you value excitement over results though, you could always try supporting Fulham. They were top scorers in the division last year, and played some great stuff. Never troubled the playoffs, mind.

Wouldnt mind seeing him sold, he was bang average in the championship for us, dont see where people get the idea that he will score goals in the prem

Bang average. His goal scoring stats are great. [Just re-read your post and you said "in the Championship for us"]. Regardless, I don't agree with you. He was  better than average.

AS for not scoring in the Prem, we don't have anyone who is banging them in mate. Negredo - 1 goal in 10 games. Hmmm that's a great return. So certainly no harm in playing Rhodes sometimes to see how he gets on.

Will - yes Rhodes missed several one on ones last season. Can't deny that.

6 goals in 18 games is pretty average tbh especially considering he was playing in the best team in the league, would think that Kike and Nugent will have had a similar scoring record for us

Negrado fits the system we are playing so well and has been involved in at least four of our goals this season

To get promoted?. He scored vital goals in the final 10 games so his signing was a success even if we lose a bit of money on him.

Wouldnt mind seeing him sold, he was bang average in the championship for us, dont see where people get the idea that he will score goals in the prem

Bang average. His goal scoring stats are great. [Just re-read your post and you said "in the Championship for us"]. Regardless, I don't agree with you. He was  better than average.

AS for not scoring in the Prem, we don't have anyone who is banging them in mate. Negredo - 1 goal in 10 games. Hmmm that's a great return. So certainly no harm in playing Rhodes sometimes to see how he gets on.

6 goals in 18 games is pretty average tbh especially considering he was playing in the best team in the league, would think that Kike and Nugent will have had a similar scoring record for us

Negrado fits the system we are playing so well and has been involved in at least four of our goals this season

Arguable. Best defensive team in the league sure but we were hardly the best attacking team in the league.

UTB !

Just because something isn't exciting, doesn't make it sh**e. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, because we've improved year on year since this system was implemented, that it is a successful way of playing. If you value excitement over results though, you could always try supporting Fulham. They were top scorers in the division last year, and played some great stuff. Never troubled the playoffs, mind.

Unfortunately I can't try supporting Fulham. I am stuck with Boro, because that's my team. I was born there, started going to games when I was about 7 years old, but moved down to London (with family) when I was about 14 years old. If I could have just switched to ***nal then, I could have enjoyed so much more glory...... but that's not how it works, is it.

So no, just because something isn't [only] exciting it doesn't make it sh**e (but I didn't say that). I said our system "doesn't make for attractive viewing or exciting football" - and when your team plays that way, then I maintain that it is a bit sh**e.

If the system can evolve so that we do improve in an attacking sense, then great. I hope that we can stay up this season, and then kick on and improve. However if it was only ever going to be JUST scraping survival, by defending for our lives.... then yes, maybe I do value enjoyment a bit more than results alone?

Jordan Rhodes scored 16 Championship goals last season. 7th highest in the division. That's clearly not average, however you try to bend it to suit your argument. Even just his Boro goals [6 in 18 games] works out at being 15.33 goals in a 46 game season. That is still a good return.

He wasn't used to our system, but once he'd found his feet and settled in he scored more frequently towards the end of the season.

Anyway.... it's all irrelevant I guess. Negredo is number one choice up front, and only likely to remain so.