oneBoro Forum

All Killer No Filler

Remember Zane Lowe's Masterpieces show?

One full album played start to finish, no interruptions. Those albums where every single song is a banger.

I'm starting a podcast based on a similar theme and was after a list of albums I can sink my teeth into and have a real discussion about.

Think it will be especially good in this day and age of streaming and where consumption of music has changed, I'm this world where it's all about singles now who actually still puts albums on from track one until the end?

Anyone got any ideas of albums I can check out? I have a few in mind from various genres already.

Edit: Should add I'm after original material only, not unplugged albums or compilations. Which saddens me too as I have to avoid a couple of belters

Led Zeppelin 4

Deep Purple - Machine Head

Rainbow - Rising

Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Rush - Moving Pictures

The Offspring - Smash

Iron Maiden - Number of the Beast

Just a few off the top of my head. Not all my favourites from each band but certainly each bands most commercially successful records.

Dunno if this fits the bill or not but it's a band from the early 70s who reformed in 2008 after more than thirty years in obscurity, if that gives you any idea of the kind of cult following they attracted.

The band is Comus and their 1971 album "First Utterance" is what generated all the interest. I used to own it on vinyl and I spent a lot of time tracking down a digital release before finding the 2-CD set "Song to Comus" on Amazon. The first 7 tracks reproduce "First Utterance" exactly.

And then, of course, along it came on You Tube:

Dunno if this fits the bill or not but it's a band from the early 70s who reformed in 2008 after more than thirty years in obscurity, if that gives you any idea of the kind of cult following they attracted.

The band is Comus and their 1971 album "First Utterance" is what generated all the interest. I used to own it on vinyl and I spent a lot of time tracking down a digital release before finding the 2-CD set "Song to Comus" on Amazon. The first 7 tracks reproduce "First Utterance" exactly.

And then, of course, along it came on You Tube:

I'll be checking that out when I have five minutes mate but pretty much any album where you can like every song on it fit the bill haha. I've got a few really obscure rap albums on my list, some old school soul classics etc so not all of them will be well known.

It's not really about critical acclaim the show its more about that replayability and celebrating albums where people put effort into making every song on the album geniune hits (including the unreleased stuff) instead of just phoning it in for some.

For example there was stuff as varied as Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory, Plan B's Defamation of Strickland Banks, Peace Kehd by the Doppelgangaz, Disraeli Gears by Cream and Because of The Times by Kings of Leon on the list last night before I started this. All albums I remember listening to and just playing through a couple of times at least.

Of course, all will have to be revisited to make sure that's not just childhood haziness seeping through, so I've got a fun couple of weeks coming up while I sort out the ins and outs of my podcast, structure etc.

Thanks for all your suggestions by the way lads, giving me more to think about.

If it's not about critical acclaim then my personal favourite "All killer, no filler" album is 'Casually Dressed and Deep in Conversation' by Funeral for a Friend.

I stopped listening to them about 5 years ago and they split up just this year but out of 9 studio albums their first is still their best in my opinion.