oneBoro Forum

Boro vs West Bromwich Albion (A) 0-0

I watched the game on US TV, where it's a pleasure to have Robbie Mustoe analysing our games! They had Barragan as man of the match, though I'd have had Forshaw as top man, very busy in midfield. They were also convinced Gibson should have had a penalty given against him for pulling Rondon's shirt.

Good point away from home as we continue to settle into the Premier League, I say. There will be tougher battles, but there will also be easier games, Pulis teams are never easy to play against.

From our opening games, I'd say it looks like Barragan, Ayala, Gibson and Friend are a Prem-worthy back line, Clayton and Forshaw look to have made the step up just fine, and Negredo will work hard for us to make the most of chances when they come. Downing seems to have done ok without being spectacular.

Stuani has had one man of the match show and some more anonymous performances. Ramirez has shown talent without being heavily influential as yet. Guzan has been mixed, but hey, he's the stand-in till Valdes gets back.

That number of players looking ok with the step up is good, I'd say. And it's still early. Positive signs, even if today's game was dreary.

Because he should have, he was a very lucky boy.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I watched the game on US TV, where it's a pleasure to have Robbie Mustoe analysing our games! They had Barragan as man of the match, though I'd have had Forshaw as top man, very busy in midfield. They were also convinced Gibson should have had a penalty given against him for pulling Rondon's shirt.

Good point away from home as we continue to settle into the Premier League, I say. There will be tougher battles, but there will also be easier games, Pulis teams are never easy to play against.

From our opening games, I'd say it looks like Barragan, Ayala, Gibson and Friend are a Prem-worthy back line, Clayton and Forshaw look to have made the step up just fine, and Negredo will work hard for us to make the most of chances when they come. Downing seems to have done ok without being spectacular.

Stuani has had one man of the match show and some more anonymous performances. Ramirez has shown talent without being heavily influential as yet. Guzan has been mixed, but hey, he's the stand-in till Valdes gets back.

That number of players looking ok with the step up is good, I'd say. And it's still early. Positive signs, even if today's game was dreary.

I understand there's been a tightening of rules on that this season - was a definite shirt tug, albeit part and parcel of the game for a long time. I suspect the ref didn't see it, and Rondon didn't go down to highlight it.

I think it was well before the ball came to him too, so didn't hinder his run. He just has a 50 pence head.

It stopped Rondon getting the yard on Gibbo that he needed to truly get behind the header hence the poor finish

I watched the game on US TV, where it's a pleasure to have Robbie Mustoe analysing our games! They had Barragan as man of the match, though I'd have had Forshaw as top man, very busy in midfield. They were also convinced Gibson should have had a penalty given against him for pulling Rondon's shirt. 

I understand there's been a tightening of rules on that this season - was a definite shirt tug, albeit part and parcel of the game for a long time. I suspect the ref didn't see it, and Rondon didn't go down to highlight it.

The linesman was right in line and saw it so really should have flagged.

Granted Rhodes is an unknown quantity in the PL, but much as I like Nugents never say die attitude, he's a championship quality striker and that's all he ever will be.

Karanka has made his mind up about Rhodes and that's all there is to it, so we're never going to know whether he was good enough.

That's an absolutely baseless assumption at this point.

Granted Rhodes is an unknown quantity in the PL, but much as I like Nugents never say die attitude, he's a championship quality striker and that's all he ever will be.

Karanka has made his mind up about Rhodes and that's all there is to it, so we're never going to know whether he was good enough.

It really isn't. We've played 270 minutes of football and Rhodes hasn't even had a sniff.

It really isn't. We've played 270 minutes of football and Rhodes hasn't even had a sniff.

Negredo has played all 270 minutes. Just because Karanka thinks Negredo is better than Rhodes doesn't mean he's never going to play for us again... and you'd be mad not to agree Negredo is better than Rhodes.

And how many more minutes of Premier League football are left?

If he's sold before the window shuts then fair enough, but at this moment in time we don't know what's happening.

Negredo has played all 270 minutes. Just because Karanka thinks Negredo is better than Rhodes doesn't mean he's never going to play for us again... and you'd be mad not to agree Negredo is better than Rhodes.

Nobody is saying Negredo isn't better than Rhodes, Nugent has played a part in all 4 games(including 120 mins in the cup) Rhodes hasn't had a kick even when it was plain to see that Negredo's game had run its course against the Mackems he looked knackered, Rhodes still didn't figure, IMO Rhodes is on his way, and if he is, good luck to the lad wherever he goes.

Imo people are over analysing Rhodes lack of involvement. For me he has been a victim of our success so far, nothing more. Fischer aswell to an extent.

We've not been chasing a game yet. I would put a rather large sum of money on Rhodes coming on before Nugent if we were behind. Fulham was unlucky with having used 2 subs to injury. The fact is Karanka does have a "not lose" attitude rather than "must win" and if we aren't behind i think he'll always go for the safer option in Nugent for his defensive work.

Imo people are over analysing Rhodes lack of involvement. For me he has been a victim of our success so far, nothing more. Fischer aswell to an extent.

We've not been chasing a game yet. I would put a rather large sum of money on Rhodes coming on before Nugent if we were behind. Fulham was unlucky with having used 2 subs to injury. The fact is Karanka does have a "not lose" attitude rather than "must win" and if we aren't behind i think he'll always go for the safer option in Nugent for his defensive work.

Maybe, but the point I was trying to make earlier is that I think Rhodes's defensive work has actually become OK too, and his hold up play. I think he's actually a better all round footballer than Nugent if I'm honest. [Even though I like Nugent].

I don't see why Nugent has featured as much as he has, while Rhodes hasn't had a sniff.

Nobody is saying Negredo isn't better than Rhodes, Nugent has played a part in all 4 games(including 120 mins in the cup) Rhodes hasn't had a kick even when it was plain to see that Negredo's game had run its course against the Mackems he looked knackered, Rhodes still didn't figure, IMO Rhodes is on his way, and if he is, good luck to the lad wherever he goes.

I actually think that Rioch's Braves has got a point. I hope that we do get to see Rhodes wearing a Boro in the PL very soon however.

Maybe, but the point I was trying to make earlier is that I think Rhodes's defensive work has actually become OK too, and his hold up play. I think he's actually a better all round footballer than Nugent if I'm honest. [Even though I like Nugent].

I don't see why Nugent has featured as much as he has, while Rhodes hasn't had a sniff.

In the league Nugent has had about 10 mins in total. So not really a mass amount of time. Ak has his mind set on Negrado and Gaston as his two most attacking players.

In the cup granted he played Nugent. But we don't know who has been pushing hard in training if Ak belived Nugent deserved his chance in that game then so be it.

I'm with you, Personally I think Rhodes is a much better player too. The thing I would have to give to Nugent though is his willingness to run the channels. Rhodes works hard, but I can't honestly ever remember him leaving the middle channel. I guess when your trying to hold on then that could be what swings it for Nugent.