oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough FC all star team!

This is my first thread, be nice :)

How would you select a team of former and present Boro players? It's a difficult choice, but give it a shoot!

My best 11 ever would be something like:

------------------------ Valdes ----------------------------

-- D. Mills ---- Southgate --- Ehiogu ---- Quedrue --

Hignett -----  Mendieta ----- Boateng --- Downing --

------------------------- Juninho -------------------------

------------------------- Ravanelli ------------------------

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

GK - Schwarzer

RB - Young

CB - Southgate

CB - Pallister

LB - Queudrue

RM - Karembeu

CM - Ince

CM - Mendieta

LM - Ziege

SS - Juninho

ST - Ravanelli

Subs:

GK - Valdes

DF - Festa

DF - Pearson

MD - Zenden

MD - Geremi

MD - Emerson

ST - Viduka

--------------------Valdes--------------

Mills---Mowbray---Pallister--Pogatez

---------------Bryan Robson------------

Ripley-----Junhino----Gazza---Mendieta

-------------------Ravenelli---------------

Subs

Schwarza

Southgate

Quedrue

Emerson

Boatang

Clough

Hasselbank

How would you select a team of former and present Boro players? It's a difficult choice, but give it a shoot!

higgy never looked comfortable wide. he is a second striker/att mid. its why him and barmby hit it off so well. great footballers both of them enjoyed playing off the main striker. bit like fischer actually, hes that sort of player. higgy would be a great no10 for us now.

danny mills was lesser player than luke young, he was a very underrated right back. 

ravanelli as a lone striker over jimmy boksic and the duke. i doubt it. he was decent though but those 3 had the extra factor.

an all star team without ince, zeige and pallister? id have the spotty german in midfield over mendy and george lol. ince karanka would absolutely love him. and pally was about as good as a commanding cb as you can get. 

-----------valdes

young pally sgate zeige

--------ince emmo

juninho Gazza barmby

----------viduka

i've gone for total football here with the strength and power of ince emmerson and viduka supporting the pretty pattern play fom juninho gazza and barmby. hard grafting right back and a attacking left back with ball playing cb's with the original ball magnet pally. valdes would need to come off his line :)

we'd be challenging for the title with that team and AK sorting them out.

higgy never looked comfortable wide. he is a second striker/att mid. its why him and barmby hit it off so well. great footballers both of them enjoyed playing off the main striker. bit like fischer actually, hes that sort of player. higgy would be a great no10 for us now.

danny mills was lesser player than luke young, he was a very underrated right back. 

ravanelli as a lone striker over jimmy boksic and the duke. i doubt it. he was decent though but those 3 had the extra factor.

an all star team without ince, zeige and pallister? id have the spotty german in midfield over mendy and george lol. ince karanka would absolutely love him. and pally was about as good as a commanding cb as you can get. 

-----------valdes

young pally sgate zeige

--------ince emmo

juninho Gazza barmby

----------viduka

i've gone for total football here with the strength and power of ince emmerson and viduka supporting the pretty pattern play fom juninho gazza and barmby. hard grafting right back and a attacking left back with ball playing cb's with the original ball magnet pally. valdes would need to come off his line :)

Good points ::)

I just put my team together, from the lads i liked to watch play this beloved game of football :)

Boateng was special, mendi and rava too ::)

Ziege I allmost put at left back, but Quedrue was one of my favourites back in the days :)

Luke Young i'm not that familiar with.. was he injured all the time? :)

Is this the best players I've seen play for Boro? Or the best players that have played for Boro? Ie Valdes has great pedigree but he's obviously not the best keeper I've seen play for boro as he's only played one game...

My interpretation of best 11 is the former, therefore; (4-2-3-1)

GK Schwarzer

RB Hoyte.....okay okay Luke Young

CB ehiogu

CB Southgate

LB Ziege

DM Ince

DM Boateng

AM Mendieta

AM Gascoigne

AM Juninho

ST Viduka

Two DMs disrupting everything and feeding the narrow 3 AMs playing off the duke with support from marauding full backs. Easy this footballs manager lark!!!

Ah another one!

As always, I've only been involved in footy since like 2004 so there's not much legendary status being handed out as such but this is mine:

GK: Mark Schwarzer

RB: Luke Young

CB: Jonathan Woodgate

CB: Gareth Southgate ©

LB: Franck Queudrue

CM: George Boateng

CM: Bolo Zenden

CM: Stewart Downing

ST: Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

ST: Mark Viduka

ST: Tuncay Sanli

I had to stick Tuncay in there, which made it awkward and forced Downing to go more central, but we're all used to that now anyway. :D

Schwarzer was not the greatest goalkeeper in the world but he was with us throughout a very successful period of our history.

Southgate is by far the best captain we've had in my years of watching. Woodgate the best defender for his first short spell here, I still remember his performance against ***nal on his debut.

Young was the best attacking full-back I've seen at our club, like he sacrificed looking like George Friend to be twice the player. Franck sacrificed none of his looks and was still a quality defender.

I hope De Roon can become the next Boateng for us, he was a destroyer. He was a leader, its just a shame being captain never worked out for him. Zenden was quality for the season we got out of him at centre-mid, worked so well with Downing on the left hand side, never forget the home game against Lazio where Downing effectively set up both goals scored by Zenden. That volley for the first. That cross and header for the 2nd... wow. A very memorable night for Downing too, who has been our best left-winger during his first spell. He had Massimo Oddo's life, a player who went to Milan not long after whilst Milan were still good.

Jimmy Floyd was a quality finisher. The hat-trick against Blackburn springs to mind. The goal against Basel where he casually fired a rocket into the top corner to bring it level on aggregate. That bloody free-kick against Man City that secured us our run in the next year's UEFA Cup.

Mark Viduka, technically brilliant. For such a large man, he could spin on a sixpence and scored some incredible goals.

And Tuncay... The Turkish Delight. I need say no more.

-----------valdes

young pally sgate zeige

--------ince emmo

juninho Gazza barmby

----------viduka

Good points ::)

I just put my team together, from the lads i liked to watch play this beloved game of football :)

Boateng was special, mendi and rava too ::)

Ziege I allmost put at left back, but Quedrue was one of my favourites back in the days :)

Luke Young i'm not that familiar with.. was he injured all the time? :)

luke young was great in a very poor team, villa bought him at the time all our best players were leaving and southgates legend signings started i think hoyte was his replacement lol

Not sure if the replies so far are a sign of the ages of people here or just short memories but there are some that have to be in there... so maybe something like:

Schwarzer

Hardwick mowbray maddren zeige

Souness ince mannion

Juninho

Clough camsell

Schwarzer

Curtis. Pally. Southgate. Ziege

Emerson souness. Johnston. Armstrong

Juninho. Rava

Subs

Boksic

Boam

Armstrong

Hodgson

Hignett

Platt

Team are the best is saw. Subs are my favourites

Not sure if the replies so far are a sign of the ages of people here or just short memories but there are some that have to be in there... so maybe something like:

Schwarzer

Souness ince mannion

Juninho

Clough camsell

Think it's the age range, seven of those players I've never seen play. I'm sure they were splendid though

Schwarzer

Souness ince mannion

Juninho

Clough camsell

Id imagine that would be close the all time team but as I wasnt alive and theres very little evidence of tv footage of pre 70s Boro its hard for me to compare how good the players were compared to the post 90s players. I have judged my team on what I have seen rather than what records have said.