oneBoro Forum
Sign in to follow this  
timlloyd

kodi plugins

Hi, months ago I came across a thread regarding kodi plugins. Is this thread still open? If so can someone point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Is kodi any good? i have sky at the moment but am considering getting rid and using a kodi box. Any tips for a novice???

Is kodi any good? i have sky at the moment but am considering getting rid and using a kodi box. Any tips for a novice???

Have a decent internet connection or it'll be AWFUL.

Have a decent internet connection or it'll be AWFUL.

I have fibre, my boy is autistic and watches the Disney channels constantly. I don't want to switch if it's no good :(

It depends on a few factors really, mainly the strength of your internet signal as well as speed. You'll need an up to date box (running Android 7 ideally) and if you can physically connect it to your router as opposed to using Wi-Fi then you'll get the best performance.

If you want something easy to use then just get an Amazon Fire Stick and use one of the many websites out there to design your own build. Just pop it in your telly, go to Google Play Store and download Kodi first.

Old thread, but if anyone comes across it.. Kodi is essentially a media player program which was repurposed via add-ons to stream illegal content. IMO it is poor at this, but easy to use for many which is why it got so much attention. When it comes to playing locally stored media from a server or a hard drive, its excellent at creating a library and being a user friendly GUI to access that content. 

Nowadays with VPNs being needed and other complexities, most people will opt for an IPTV subscription if you want to stream things. Very rare we watch broadcast TV though and its compressed to hell and back which doesn't cut it for me. 

Use an Nvidia Shield hooked up to a HP Microserver which is old as the hills - from 2011 I think - that has 4x2TB HD's in it, and runs software that automatically scrapes Usenet for the TV shows and movies I've told it to. It uses a quality profile to get things in a specific order, and if it grabs a lower quality release like a 1080p movie, and a 4k one is later released, it will d download it and delete the older copy.

Best system for me as can get uncompressed 4k UHD movies with the 5.1/7.1/atmos sound tracks preserved. I've got a thumping atmos 5.1.2 setup with a 500w subwoofer so having good audio is important 

Nowhere near as easy as using Kodi but once it is setup its largely set and forget and never have to interact with it except to add or remove things.