oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Watford 0-1

To be fair I don't think we deserved to lose yesterday's game but we certainly didn't deserve to win it, Watford were poor and apart from us having a lot of the ball we didn't do anything with it, Negredo looks lost on his own, Stuani is lost on the wing, Valdes still isn't convincing. My biggest worry as most have already said is no plan B and the inability of AK to identify that we need to change things sooner. It's still early and I'd take where we are in the league now. UTB

• Replies 431
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I bloody wish we'd got Nathan Redmond in the summer, can't believe some didn't want him.

I don't think we could have got him ahead of Southampton to be fair.  I don't see how he chooses us ahead of them.

No we couldn't compete with them. But who knows, if we'd met the asking price we could've got him before Southampton moved for him.

It's kind of a bit like Idrissa Gueye. If we wanted a DM in the summer instead of going for de Roon, who was untested in England and only excelled in a slower tempo game, we should have been in for Gueye immediately. He had done it for a full season in the Prem and was half the price. We would have had a free run on him as Koeman was not at Everton and no one else was interested. It seemed like we were trying to be too cute in the transfer market and have taken on too many gambles. I mean yes all transfers are gambles to some extent. But some more than others.

I guess. I understand we are in the premier league and the standards are higher and we would all take 17th, but to stay up you need to score and create chances it's getting beyond a joke as many have stated on here the problem has been going on for months and it's getting worse. Ak has to do something and do something fast other wise we will be chasing points and trying to catch any teams above us.

I must admit I've been one of the happy clappers but I'm struggling to find reasons to remain upbeat. It's took us 7 years to get here and right now it looks like we'll be going back where we came from with little fight. Something needs to change quick. if we get beat by Bournemouth I can see things turning sour.

AK spent more than two years on turning us into a promotion winning team. I'm as unhappy as anyone with the displays so far, but the man needs more time. The Premiership is new to him too like it is to a vast majority of our team, many of whom have only played lower league football up until a few months ago. 17th was always going to be the most realistic target and then build from there. That is still within our reach.

Yesterday was without doubt a poor result but there were some things that we did well. I thought Downing was good on the left but the right side needs something else. It is much too easy for teams to defend against. When Stuani gets the ball the defender can just stand still as Stuani can sprint, dribble, pass or cross. All he is good at with the ball is bundle into an opposing player. At least Downing can take a man on and whip a decent cross in or find a teammate with a short pass.

Aitor needs to be given until christmas unless we go on some daft losing streak isolating us at the bottom, but looking at the other teams I reckon 17th is always going to be within reach for every team exept Sunderland.

I can see were your coming from when you say Karanka needs more time, but when he isn't open to changing our style where does that leave us, because our style of play only works if you have the quality of players to play it, and we clearly haven't.

Karanka has IMO bought poorly in the transfer market and there lies one of if not the biggest problem.

I bloody wish we'd got Nathan Redmond in the summer, can't believe some didn't want him.

I don't think we could have got him ahead of Southampton to be fair.  I don't see how he chooses us ahead of them.

No we couldn't compete with them. But who knows, if we'd met the asking price we could've got him before Southampton moved for him.

It's kind of a bit like Idrissa Gueye. If we wanted a DM in the summer instead of going for de Roon, who was untested in England and only excelled in a slower tempo game, we should have been in for Gueye immediately. He had done it for a full season in the Prem and was half the price. We would have had a free run on him as Koeman was not at Everton and no one else was interested. It seemed like we were trying to be too cute in the transfer market and have taken on too many gambles. I mean yes all transfers are gambles to some extent. But some more than others.

What I wouldn't give for Gueye and Chadli right now instead of De Roon and Traore. Granted it's still early days and lots can change but there were good players with Prem experience and I think we could have gotten both had we shown interest. I can understand why De Roon was brought in after such a good season the Serie A but Gueye looks more handy at the moment.

I see your point, but I can't blame Boro for not going in for Gueye. Obviously Everton had scouted him properly, but I certainly didn't look at that Villa side and think 'this guy is a quality player'. I agree with the rest of your post though.

I hope de Roon still comes good, can't help but think there's a player in there.

Question? who actually identifies and buys the players these days? does AK select the area's that need improved and the 'team' of Orta, Gill etc go and find the players? We haven't bought well, in quantity yes but in quality most have been a big let down to say the least.

This whole area of the club needs to be accountable, not just the Manager.

Question? who actually identifies and buys the players these days? does AK select the area's that need improved and the 'team' of Orta, Gill etc go and find the players? We haven't bought well, in quantity yes but in quality most have been a big let down to say the least.

I'm pretty certain that KM is in charge of recruitment, he's a big fan of quantity over quality.

The positives can I just say Forshaw looked great again and I thought Gibson and Chambers looked good at the back. The Boro chant for the referee. That is all.

Onto the game Watford were very poor and if they dont improve wilp be fighting relegation and yet still got the win. That to me is very alarming even though it is early in the season. Karankas stubborness is a worry we are in a different league and therefore not everything that worked last season will work now. We arent keeping clean sheets which essentially is what the system promotes and we arent making chances to counter those goals conceded. At the moment I feel Karanka is looking at games still as, a draw is a great result and while it remains 0-0 he is happy to keep things as they are. Today they were there for the taking and we did nothing to make it so. Stuani is our top goalscorer this season yet if he doesnt score offers absolutely nothing although in his defence he is not a right winger. Negredo looks completely lost of confidence in front of goal he had a chance to shoot today and took an extra touch and lost his chance. Barragan should have been sent off and teams will target that side with our clear lack of pace being highlighted. Valdes looks like he has lost confidence he wasnt stayed on his line when really he should have been out claiming the ball on a couple of occasions.

It was clear we were lacking something even when Adomah was here and to only replace him with an inexperienced player rather than adding an extra player to that area was a mistake.

The thing that frustrates me most about us is I think the quality of player we have is better than the relegation squad under Southgate yet we appear to be our own worst enemy not playing to a level i believe we are capable of.

I'm pretty certain that KM is in charge of recruitment, he's a big fan of quantity over quality.

Don't even joke about something like that.  Can you even imagine  :dodgy:

Negredo and Ramirez both should have categorically had penalties under the new rules, there's no ifs or buts about it, they were being bear hugged and grappled in the box. It's either one thing or the other when it comes to grappling, there's no middle ground.

I think it's time to start Traore. His positioning is poor, his work rate isn't the best and he needs to improve on other aspects of his game but I think the best way for him to do that is to start games. His crossing seemed better yesterday than it was against Spurs as did his positioning in my opinion. I have no idea why him and Downing switched sides but that completely nullified whatever threat both of them were offering.

That happened against Spurs as well.  I can't work out whether he's just going over there because he just does that or whether he was told to go over to the left.  If he was told to I can't understand why because as soon as he's over there he doesn't look anywhere near as threatening.

Unless by January we're firmly rooted in the relegation zone (definite possibility given yesterday's performance) I think Gibson will stick by Karanka. It's not his style to make knee-jerk reactions, especially with the amount of money he has backed Karanka with over the past 3 or so years. The man took us out of the division and deserves a shot at preventing us from dropping back there - once it becomes clear he can't, and only then, should he be replaced.

I think on paper there are 3 worse teams in this division than us, I don't think there are 3 worse playing teams currently however. If we weren't leaking stupid goals then our attack would be a concern rather than a crisis. If we're to continue playing in our current way then we need to be more alert and to cut out the stupid errors that have cost us 3 points in 2 games. The defending against Payet at West Ham was embarrassing and yesterday at the riverside as well - how hard is it to lump the ball well up the field and away from danger instead of spooning it straight to a Watford player?

The referee was dire yesterday yes, but if anything that worked in our favour. Barragan categorically should have been sent off and the ref lost his balls. I think he got the penalty shouts correct by and large. I'd have been angry if they had been given against us, so with the red and white specs off I think it's safe to say he probably got that right.

Yesterday was a shame as, after an improved performance at West Ham, it gave us the opportunity to show we had turned a corner and show what we can do in the Premier League and to put us in a much more comfortable position. Barring some absolutely heroic performances we will be in the relegation zone in a month's time with our upcoming opponents.

We need to make improvements and fast. Negredo seems to have lost the initial interest he had, granted with the amount of support our strikers get it must be hard to stay motivated. Barragan looked a very solid acquisition but recent performances have been worrying. I think the only 2 players to come out of our early fixtures with some credibility are Forshaw and Gibson.

I'm hoping we can manage to be the 4th worst team in this division and that we an sort out our creativity issues in January. I felt we came into this season a winger light and that is showing to be the case. Fischer is sporadically showing his quality, but by and large contributes nothing. Traore is a totally bizarre signing as he has none of the attributes to make him suited to our team and way of playing. That leaves us with an untechnical centre forward on the right and Downing on the left. All the opposition has to do to neuter our threat is prevent the ball coming up the left wing - either Barragan or Stuani will give it back to you if it comes up the right.

We have a chance to turn things round, but I think some changes need to be made and opportunities given to some of our alternative players. Rhodes was decent against West Ham, managed to get in behind a few times and certainly contributed more than Negredo. Fischer showed his crossing to be excellent with the assist for Stuani against West Ham, why not let him have a crack down the right so that we don't have a lopsided and easily defendable attacking threat.

Really good post that mate.