oneBoro Forum

January 2017 Transfer Window

I'd prefer Downing to go to China, works out better for us and him. We get an inflated price due to them throwing money at players and he gets a huge pay packet.

Downing will probably realise this is doing his boyhood club a favour and do it for the cause :p

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing could be a good politician, cause he can create a bag of thin air and make some people believe it's worth something.

So safe, that he is a threath to his own team imho

Downing Nugent and possibly Rhodes as well as other fringe players, Husband, De Pena, N'sue perhaps leaving in short time to me seems as if incomings will be inevitable

Also, if true will Stuani and De Pena be the only 2 players left in the squad from last seasons signings?

And Gastón. It goes to show that we were after players for the specific purpose of getting us up, which a few of us called when we were looking at the likes of Murphy and Nugent last summer.

Whilst Downing may not have performed like us fans want him to, I think he has done pretty much exactly what AK has asked him to do when he's played...get back defend support Friend/Fabio.

I wouldn't be disappointed whether he stayed or left as long as someone that works hard getting forward AND tracking back comes in. Because it is glaringly obvious that when Traore is on the pitch teams will just go down that side because he doesn't know how to help the RB/LB out. And its easier to attack one player rather than two.

Nugent, De Pena, Downing and Husband out (add in Ayala if this lark about him consistently being 'injured' etc. is true). Whilst we won't bring in a huge amount upfront, these players are now surplus to requirements at the club (even if we go down) and the expenditure on wages would best be freed up.

My two cent of Rhodes is that I don't realistically see him playing a big part for us. With Stuani and Gestede, we have two strikers who can play backup to Negredo. Unless AK has a plan we don't know about, I'd snap anyone's hand off if they offered to match what we paid (or even a few million loss) and free up his wages.

With those players out, we don't really need to bring in much. A forward thinking CM would be a welcome addition to the squad I think but most importantly another player to play out wide in the 3 (pretty sure that's what AK wants to play but don't have the personnel for it right now)

If that's all we did from now on, I'd be over the moon with that business.

Downing had a superb spell at WHU in a different position to where Karanka utilizes him in our set up. I wouldnt be surprised if Allardyce made an approach. His set pieces and experience will be valuable.

Downing isn't on 70k. He's on 35k for anyone who missed my post.

I'm pretty sure he started on 35 but was due a wage rise to match his WHU salary if we were promoted.

That's an unsubstantiated rumour. Anthony vickers confirmed on twitter a while ago that he's on the same wage as he was on in the championship. The big selling point when we signed him was the length of the contract.

I definitely read somewhere (and it was one of the papers reporting, rather than just random online stuff) that he was on £35k in the Championship. However, the deal was that IF we got promoted, then he got back paid for last season up to his previous £70 p/w wages at WHU.

(In other words he effectively ended up being on £70k in the Championship).

It didn't seem infeasible to me.... in which case he WOULD still be on the same wage as in the Championship.... but it would be £70k.

HOWEVER.... I totally accept that that could just be a paper printing complete ballcocks.

Someone on FMTTM reckons we're in for Snodgrass, Downing may be used as make weight in deal mentioned ..

I'd be very happy with Snodgrass here. Particularly if we pull off the signing of Bojan, Subotic and Bamford as well. Would be a good window for us.